Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
White Heath , Illinois
greetings & thank you

We purchased our first Airstream today -- a 1973 Sovereign International. Hurrah!! A huge thank you to the forum community; the information we've found here has helped us tremendously in our search.

We are tent campers looking forward to taking our new baby on the road for some long exploring trips with our two boys, ages 7 and 10, starting next summer. We'll be spending our winter doing research on solar power, wireless internet, boondocking, etc., and also perhaps starting some interior rehab -- new floors, upholstery...

Our Sovereign is in great shape on the outside and great original condition inside -- twin beds with one gaucho in front (we wish we had the L-gaucho!). Her previous owners took great care of her and are babysitting her for a couple weeks while we prepare to bring her home.

We know the forum is going to be an invaluable resource for us in the upcoming months -- thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
welcome. I have a 75 Sovereign that has the L-couch and I'm working on a design to make it more compatible for a couple, who each have their own computers and a need for a desk! Compared to my Caravel, there is waaay too much room devoted to comfort.

Zep
Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
congrats on your new purchase,you are going to have lots of fun---------

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
White Heath , Illinois
Hey, Zep -- I envy you that set-up! Both our boys are big for their ages and they're just growing more every day... We like to sprawl together and watch a movie in the evening. We're pondering the idea of building in the "L" as a retrofit.

Thank you, hendrie42! We've always loved Airstreams -- we know it's going to be a great experience!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A big welcome to the Forums; ther is a lot of good information here. Don't be afraid to ask
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Congratulations, and welcome to the ranks of the "aluminum elite". I hope you're not shy, because an Airstream at a campground is a great ice breaker, both with campers, and other Airstream owners.

I've found the forums to be a great source of help, inspiration and encouragement with our airstream.

Make sure you also check out the Vintage Airstream Podcast. Great info on that, and makes for great listening on a long drive.

Have fun!
ayresdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! This is THE place to learn all things Airstream! Great people here, friendly, smart, funny, and willing to lend a hand. Doesn't get much better!

Post pictures of your new A/S ~ we love pictures!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
White Heath , Illinois
love the VAP

Thank you, Ayresdream -- we're looking forward to exploring your area of the world and doing some serious kayaking.

We are already big fans of the VAP. I think I've listened to every episode at least once. We like to study before we make a big purchase! Also, Rob's laugh takes the edge off my work stress.

CaddyGrn, we'll post pics as soon as possible -- we love seeing everyone's Airstreams! Thank you for the warm welcome. This is a great community. We've already gotten so much out of it; it's good to de-lurk and say hello.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome fellow Midwesterner and congratulations on your new Airstream. We love to camp in the Illinois State parks, maybe we'll run into you when we cross central Illinois someday. Be sure to say hi if you get up here.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
White Heath , Illinois
Illinois camping

Thank you, Chaplain Kent! What are your favorite camping spots in Illinois? We live in the east central part of the state and there are some nice secret spots in our area, but of course we don't camp near home -- we have some favorite spots in southern Illinois, including Devil's Kitchen Lake in the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge.

Of course, up till now we've been tent campers so we don't know beans about hook-ups and such.

We love Wisconsin; DH camped there and stayed at relatives' cabins throughout his childhood. I'm sure we'll be up in your neck of the woods as well!