Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Greetings and salutations...

I thought I would take the time to introduce myself. I get stage-fright talking to big crowds so bare with me.

I was an Airstreamer before for years but, not by choice, got away from them. I had some help from bad weather and pine trees. I had a 26 footer and then, moved up to two 31 footers. In rapid succession, was out of the AS loop.

Ouch!

Can you say leverage? Thanks Hurricane Katrina.

Immediately after Katrina, my hands were full and a Airstream was low on my list of concerns. With time, I missed them more and more. About two weeks ago, I picked up a new, leftover 2012 28' International Signature to fill the noticeable void in my life. I picked up a '13 Suburban 2500 as a TV and couldn't be happier. There are some things I'm having to adapt to as it pertains to the new one but am happy doing so.

Again, I'm the shy type so y'all please be gentle. I feel like I've crossed a major hurdle just posting and doubly so by attaching pics.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome aboard. Different type crowd than the other forum, but lots of good information to sift through.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Good for you Sir

Katrina took out my childhood home. Katrinas cousin, Sandy, came by up here, and made a little noise. A few of my buddies got up, all full of vinegar and got some folks out of a mess or two. They didn't bother with wondering why. They knew. The best revenge.....happiness. Recovery is a long word. Kick butt, is two little words. More power to you.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Z we're all just a bunch of benign crazy folks. Welcome to the group!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome aboard, Zack... And welcome back to Aristreaming. Too bad about the squashed rig, but glad you are back in the saddle... and the present is what counts...congrats on the new rig...sounds nice!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Jump in! The water is warm. Welcome.......back.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. It's nice to have you back in Airstreaming. You have a home here on the Forums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, don't be shy, I lost my entire business to Irene and then Sandy paid a vist a year later, but I'm back and building up again. Eire Streaming is as close to retirement as I will ever get , but I figure what can be better than safe family and our Bambi.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Welcome aboard. Different type crowd than the other forum, but lots of good information to sift through.
Dangit, Switz...you are blowing my cover.

Mr. Switz and I know each other from a different forum...the UFC forum. When we were fighting competitively, you may remember him.... he was know as Switz the Destroyer. But, I've settled down since those days...but I can't speak for him.

Mr. Switz (just for the record, I call him Mr. since he fought in a heavier weight division than I)...what kind of mileage are you getting out of the 4 x 4?

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Z we're all just a bunch of benign crazy folks. Welcome to the group!
Wow. If that is the case, I should just fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Too bad about the squashed rig, but .....
TB,

If watching the tree pinch it in half wasn't bad enough, having to dissect it to get rid of it was.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I'll be on my best behavior....knowing Mr. Switz will be looking over my shoulder.

I've got a cheap camera and am not afraid to use it.

Z
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
With both city and highway and a few hills on I-10 around Palm Springs, we saw a mind boggling 11.3 mpg. I selected the auto to only go to 5th gear to keep rpms at 2,150, a sweet spot for the Cummins. The EGT cranked on up to 1,275 on the climb out of Palm Springs at 55 mph (the notorious California towing speed limit for cars, tracks, and motorcycles depending on the signage. When I see car & truck towing speed limit signs I speed up on the bike as it was not mentioned.

We were at 16,000 pounds on departure at the CAT scales, 5,880 on the trailer axles and 10,120 on the truck. Front axle weight is loading up faster than the rear axle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Some bugs bite deeper than others...

At the end of May, I officially got back into Airstreaming with the acquisition of a NOS 2012 28' International Sig after being deprived for several years. I've got most of the factory bugs worked out of it (and there were a few...mostly bone-head mistakes made in Ohio) but my legacy with Airstreams is "fixing them up". Considering the cash layout on the Signature and the fact that it is pretty complete as delivered, I was/am reluctant to take the saws-all to it. With the desire to tinker on an Airstream, I figured I would get a vintage unit to fulfill my tinkering urges.

While shopping around on ebay, I found a '62 Globetrotter that struck my fancy. It was still in the original owner's family and was very un-molested...it had been stuffed in a barn for 15 years (when the original purchaser died) and was filled with dust, etc. but appeared to all be there. The seller reserved the right to end the auction early as it was for sale locally, as well. Apparently, it sold locally.

During my ebay shopping, I stumbled across another trailer I liked although not "vintage"...it didn't come up in my normal searches and was a strictly "Buy It Now" deal only. The more I looked, the more I liked. It was a 2003 30' Classic (which strangely enough is a 31'). The body was straight, interior was in decent shape (per photographs) and it was offered with a Hensley hitch.

I paid the deposit on the trailer and made arrangements with the seller (near Memphis) to have it delivered for examination...if it didn't appear as represented, I could return it and he'd pay the return trucking out of my $500 deposit...fair enough. The driver rolled in with it on the afternoon of July 3rd...giving me the holiday weekend to play with it and check it out. It looked good rolling into my driveway.

After digging in a little bit, I was having trouble finding any major issues with it. All the major appliances worked (gas & electric), A/C was blowing cold. All four awning were in good shape. The refrigerator seemed a little "weak" but the freezer was very cold. I found the toilet to have two leaks...one the blade seal would not hold water above it (nicked seal) and the base gasket leaked slightly on a holding tank over-fill test. Naturally, tank monitors were all over the place. The AM/FM/Cassette system worked but the display did not. The microwave/convection suffered the same symptoms...worked but the display was scrambled. The upholstery fabric wouldn't have been my choice if buying new but it was in good shape...and somebody loved it when it was new on the lot. All and all, I was quite happy with and gladly accepted it into the fold. This is my 5th AS.

Since then, while rounding up parts & pieces to repair the toilet at a semi-local RV parts store, I found that they had an identical replacement for about $200 bucks....seemed like a good deal to me and solves the "where its been" issues. I was perplexed about the refrigerator but after playing with some thermometers, I realized that the incandescent interior light didn't turn off with the door closed...with the removal of the bulb (which BTW would get hot as a $3 pistol with the door closed), problem solved. I ordered an exact Sony stereo that is in my International (iPod, USB, etc.) off Amazon for $90...as luck would have it, it was a direct swap...unplug the old, plug in the new...five minute job. The biggest layout for repairs was the replacement of the microwave...found an exact replacement (again, on Amazon) for just under $300....putting it in tonight. I've got all the tank monitors working with exception of the gray water tank...I'm still piddling with it but am considering installing the See-Level hook-up. I removed the ugly wall mirrors from behind the dinette (backs up to the refrigerator) and installed a 22" flat-screen as well as a 22" in the bedroom on the off-side (HDMI on the Blu-Ray and cable for satellite). Next, I think I will upgrade all the interior lighting to LEDs as I really like them in the International and are ideal for boon-docking situations

I'm pulling the Hensley off this weekend for freshening up and still have to get a hitch bar resolved for my TV (Suburban 2500 25.5" from ground-level to top of receiver). Hensley was no help in this case so I'm hoping Pro-Pride will build me a Hensley-type/Pro-Pride adjustable hitch bar. I have a Pro-Pride on the 28' and really like the adjustable hitch bar.

I had to come here to share my elation of my latest acquisition as most non-Airstreamers just don't understand the allure of our passion/addiction. The two trailers are so much alike and yet, so different at the same time. I am enjoying tinkering with the older and have no reservations about making any other upgrades I feel suitable...and there will be more.

Z
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Three seems to be a magic number for you. Have fun!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Have you reserved a spot for the 2014 Canopener rally?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Freshening up.

]