Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We had a 1st generation '02 Tundra with the 4.6 L. V8 and I believed it was not a strong enough engine to pull the 25' FB Safari. Later in that 1st generation run, the engine was modified for more hp and torque, but I think I still would have gone with the larger engine. So I think the Ford you already have will tow a 25', but will be straining on steep and long grades. So, I suppose it is ok, but not a perfect match in my opinion. But as I said before, others tow with comparable trucks and are happy. You'll have the Airstream longer than you have the truck, so get the size and model right the first time.

Since Tundra bed bounce was mentioned, the only time I have experienced something that may be bed bounce was on certain concrete expressways with the joints at a distance that seems to resonate with the suspension. Most of the complaints I have seen (on another forum) seemed to come from S. Cal. where there appear to be a lot of road like that—I know, I've been there. But I have felt it on a relatively new section of I-70 east of Denver and a few other times on concrete highways. Just hang on and it will end soon. Out of 68,000 miles on the Tundra, there have been no more than 150 or 200 miles like that (yes, my teeth felt like they would fall out, but they didn't). If you commute in S. Cal., it could be very different.

You asked if you can dress in the bathroom? The bathrooms are all a bit different, but all are pretty small. Depends on your size and your tolerance for small spaces. But if you are alone, you can dress anywhere….

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just to repeat something above - we go to the Tampa show almost every year. Bates is only about 20 minutes further down the road. They typically bring a full assortment of models to the show - they have a big corner of one of the display buildings inside.

With a F-150, the big wide roads of Florida, and what I've seen of campgrounds there (big spots) - I'd be buying a 25' myself for my wife and I. If I was traveling solo, and didn't care to cook that much (due to the tiny galley countertop), a 23D or 23 with the front L-lounge would do the trick. But fuel economy really isn't going to be better vs a 25-footer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings

Well just got back from a day outing at Bates RV in Tampa. It is about a 3-hour drive north. I followed your advice and sat on the throne, got in the shower, laid on the beds, sat on the couches and dinettes, etc. I now have a much better idea of what is what.

Now, I will share my findings.

Perceived need: As a single, with occasional 2 other person needs, wanting to share only a few weeks at most then on my own other times for up to two months.

Best matches: (smallest) 23' CNB DBL> Pros - best layout for space roll away table is the bomb - better than the wheel-well dinette IMO of the 23FB.
Cons: The corner bath sucks. I am 5'8" and my knees were in the shower while on the throne chair. could not close the door of the bath with any space to move. The bed would be hard to make.
(larger) 25' FBT This model had it all. The twin beds make for a great access point to overhead cabinets. The middle bath is easily accessible. The dinette in the rear is also nice. I liked this one the best. Oh and I am fine with either the Flying Cloud or International. I would want the lighter international walls though. That dark really closed the space off.

Now comes the "used hunt"!!!! Thank you for your help and all the suggestions. I will still go to the show next month to see other trailers too. I like Airstream a lot but am not absolutely must have that brand per se in my thoughts.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Safari/Flying Cloud does not necessarily have dark walls. It depends how they are outfitted inside. Ours (a Safari SE) has aluminium interior with light colored partitions. Keep looking.

Gene
Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm guessing that rodsterinfl means an International that doesn't have the CCD Wenge laminate interior - that limits it to an Ocean Breeze or Serenity. We've got the same preference.

Are there Safari SEs or Flying Clouds with different-colored partitions? Thought they were all the light-wood interior throughout.

Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Are there Safari SEs or Flying Clouds with different-colored partitions? Thought they were all the light-wood interior throughout.

Tom
Tom, ours has a fairly light colored fake wood Formica. Because of the nature of the surface (smooth and a bit glossy) it reflects light to keep away the dark. As for the rest, I don't remember much.

The SE (Special Edition) model was, I believe, the top version of the Safaris and positioned between the regular Safaris and the International. We saw it as having pretty much what the International had that we liked without the additional cost. What we didn't like on the Internationals were the slider doors on the upper cabinets—it is too easy to catch your fingers when you open or close those doors (ouch!).

We also got the light colored (tan) cushions. The fabric is cheap and poorly cut. It is unlined so it can slide around on the foam rubber interior. It gets dirty easily and is hard to clean. But it is a light color. Light colors not only reflect light, but create a feeling of a larger interior.

There were hundreds (maybe more) of these produced in mid-decade and some should be available for sale.

Gene
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gene, while we're on the subject - have you had any problems with hinge screws pulling out of those overhead cabinet doors? Looked at a new Flying Cloud whose bathroom medicine cabinet/mirror door had already pulled off. (I don't think that dealership is still in the Airstream business.)

I was thinking that the International sliding doors would be somewhat simpler, although they do comparatively restrict access. I also like the pretty translucent panels...

Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
When I was looking, a couple people told me the sliding doors sometimes had problems staying shut, and that they were just translucent enough to mean you had to keep the insides looking neat.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #29

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
When I was looking, a couple people told me the sliding doors sometimes had problems staying shut, and that they were just translucent enough to mean you had to keep the insides looking neat.
We have the CCD doors and really like how the light comes through, we use baskets to keep it looking neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045737696.png
Views:	119
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	148110  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
That does look pretty cool - and it avoids the nightclub look of the red, which, while it suits many, did not suit me, as I had enough of that married to a nightclub owner.

Besides which, the front locker is where I'm planning on putting some of the tech, and there's little opps for keeping that looking sleek...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post

My CCD has the sliding door - in the beginning we always wondered what fool at AS designed these to open while being towed. PITA is an understatement. Our solution was to wedge a small amout of paper towel between the doors at the bottom to stop them from sliding. Cheap, works well - we have never had one open when I remember to do this (I sometimes forget and soon remember when we open the trailer door). Newer models have a spring slide stop that puts resistance on the bottom of the plexiglass to stop this - I do not know how well that works.

As far as neat - you are camping - who cares. We start out neat at home and rapidly progress to a sloppy trailer by day 2 in the campground. We live in there - it's not a showroom for Airstream.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Except, uffda, I won't be camping. I'll be full timing, so I'm going on the shipshape, a place for everything model, or I'll go insane.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
completing an entry

Greetings to all again

Those of you that may not have noticed in other threads. I finally ended up with my baby yet unnamed - a 2006 25' Safari. It was so different than the new ones that I was familiar with and, as a result, I made some compromizes. It has the space of the 25FB twin that I liked the best but without the $$$. It has the open living area of the 23C that I liked -the one with the chest and roll out table. It does not have the 23' corner bed or bath which I was less fond of but I also did not get the pano dinette in the rear area in the new twin model. The windows are different too and while I like the ports, etc. I live in FL so windows are heat radiators. I am okay without a dinette now. The biggest difference to me is the pano window and the covered walls and ceiling. The salesman took me over and showed me a classic with the same walls and ceiling. It was just so different. Reflecting on all of this now, I am happy with my choice overall. I really did not like having pano windows in the bedroom and it seems from reading other's ideas that the first thing people remove is the dinette as they want more room. So, that leaves my only real missing "like" is the pano front. I certainly appreciate all of the comments here and will be asking a lot of questions as I make this AS my own. Thanks.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Gene, while we're on the subject - have you had any problems with hinge screws pulling out of those overhead cabinet doors? Looked at a new Flying Cloud whose bathroom medicine cabinet/mirror door had already pulled off. (I don't think that dealership is still in the Airstream business.)

I was thinking that the International sliding doors would be somewhat simpler, although they do comparatively restrict access. I also like the pretty translucent panels...

Tom
Tom, I noticed I never answered your question. I must have looked at your post and said to myself, "I'll get to that later".

Later has come. Yes. The left hinge on the bathroom cabinet came undone several years ago and was fixed with bigger screws. So far, it is holding.

Gene
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
LOL! Thanks Gene. Sounds like that's not an uncommon weak point.

Tom
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
LOL! Thanks Gene. Sounds like that's not an uncommon weak point.

Tom
Which is the weak point—the cabinet hinge or my memory?

Gene
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My memory and my hinge have both come unglued, the hinge is fixed....the memory not so much.

Bob