Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thumbs up Greetings!

Hello all and thank you to all reading, for any of the wonderful posts you have submitted and that I have read... They have been of immense help.
Looks like I'll be joining the club soon, career advanced and needing to be put to rest, marriage ended for me, middle age forcing me to stop and stare a little too long at the Sun and Stars...
Will be placing an order within the week I think for a Flying Cloud, thinking a 25FB to allow for more versatility in camp spots and maybe twin bed to further break from familiarity and memory. Very ready to start over and begin anew, always have loved new places and meeting people.
I do look forward to this new stage of my life and moving past the old.
That being said I hope I meet all of you one day on the Road one day and that you'll share a finger of Scotch with me, or a beer, or nice glass of wine as suits your fancy.
More importantly I hope to be able to call you friend after, I could use some of those.
Cheers and be safe!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I'm not sure there is such a thing as staring too much at the stars, but maybe the sun!

We really enjoy our 25FB Twin. And if you go that route I'm sure you will as well.

Wishing success and happiness as you start a new chapter of your life!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Welcome to the forms!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thank you!
Maybe I shoulda said Sky instead of Sun 🤤
Did indeed place the order, looks like Oct delivery.... a remarkably rewarding decision, I've been very upbeat since then 😉

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Shiny does deliver smiles. Study, study, study. Have a plan for your purchase orientation. It is a lot to learn in a very short time. But you do get lots of do-overs, except those pesky safety deals. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Have a plan? How do you mean might I ask? 😕

Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Have a plan? How do you mean might I ask? 😕
When you do your walk-through, shoot video on your phone or tablet. Take notes. Watch what the dealer does. Then do it yourself while he coaches you. Then do it again with no coaching, even telling him "Shut up and let me concentrate" if you have to.

Also, every time he shows you how to use a system, make sure he also shows you which manual goes to that system. That helps you identify if any manuals are missing before you leave the dealer's lot, so he can run and fetch a copy to give you.

Then go on a camping trip someplace close to home or close to the dealer as you prefer just you, whatever pets you may take, some food and beverages, some clothes, a whole lot of owner's manuals. And fuses. Definitely fuses. You can do without any tools. You can even do without WD40 and duck tape. But a blown fuse on the wrong system can bring your trip to a screeching halt faster than anything else that you might need and don't have. In fact, you might even ask the dealer to put a fuse assortment in the starter kit he gives you, along with the RV toilet paper and fresh water hose and the 15-amp converter plug. I wish I'd have thought of that 5 years ago when I bought mine, because my first trip out, I blew two fuses on the same system!

Anyway, after your orientation, while you're on your camping trip, read the manuals cover to cover. Use all the systems again, over and over until you've got it down pat. Put the awning out every morning and take it in every night until handling the awning is second nature like raising and lowering a flag. Et cetera. It all comes with practice.

Oh, and it helps if your first trip is to a place with full hookups. That way, you don't repeat that hilarious scene in the movie RV— oh yeah, buy that movie and take it with you, too (I have two copies, one for home and one for my Airstream)— where you end up making a whole line of people wait at the dump station while you figure out how to hook everything up and dump without making a mess. Better to do it in your own campsite with your own sewer hookup so you can make mistakes without inconveniencing others.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #8
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I declined the orientation. 😊 Ain't no way I can listen to someone talk for that long!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I declined the orientation. 😊 Ain't no way I can listen to someone talk for that long!
If he's talking the whole time you're doing it wrong.

The most effective way to do a walk-through, in my opinion:
1 - The dealer hands you a manual and explains the device covered by the manual and demonstrates it's use while you take notes and/or shoot video of the process.
2 - You try operating the device the same way he did, while he tells you what to do.
3 - You try operating the device while the dealer shuts up, to make sure you can do it without being told what to do as you do it.
4 - When you can accomplish Step 3, you move on to the next device.

There are some caveats, of course. First, this process only works if the dealer doing the walk-through with you actually knows what he's doing. Second, some devices are idiot-simple and others not so much. It's okay to skip what you already know in order to concentrate on what you don't already know.

But in general, "see, learn, do" is an excellent way to pick up new skills. As long as you keep practicing the skills in your own time after the walk-through is over, of course!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Yep I'm not sayin they ain't good for 1st timers but I've owned enough trailers where they weren't gonna teach me anything new. Plus I showed up outta the blue before they were ready cause my salesman texted me a pic that it had arrived. I guess they had to plan some stuff, ha! They wanted me to come back in a week to pick it up so they could schedule the orientation. I told em I'd call if I had questions and 2 hours later I was in the forest campin in my new trailer! [emoji2]
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Yep I'm not sayin they ain't good for 1st timers but I've owned enough trailers where they weren't gonna teach me anything new.
Living proof about what I said, that it's okay to skip over what you know to concentrate on what you don't!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Oh, and it helps if your first trip is to a place with full hookups. That way, you don't repeat that hilarious scene in the movie RV— oh yeah, buy that movie and take it with you, too (I have two copies, one for home and one for my Airstream)— where you end up making a whole line of people wait at the dump station while you figure out how to hook everything up and dump without making a mess. Better to do it in your own campsite with your own sewer hookup so you can make mistakes without inconveniencing others.
Our very first trip was a mild RV movie experience. We went early in the season, the Federal campground had just opened. After a 2 night stay, we headed for the dump station. I had received advice from several people here on the forum. I knew exactly what to do. Everything was hooked up, I pulled the black handle.

You know how you pour something into a tall container and you can hear the sound getting higher in pitch? I heard that, straight away. "That's not good" I said to the wife. Sure enough, 'thar she blows'. Not a movie sight, but a nasty mess anyway.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I reset, tried again; same experience. I used the available hose to clean up, circled the loop and set up on another station. This time everything went as planned.

I told the volunteer at the checkout about it and she said "oh yeah, we've been having problems with that one". I told her a sign to that effect would be most helpful.

So, the moral is, it's not always your fault but be ready for anything and don't be afraid to ask for help. Seasoned RVers, whether in this forum or at a campsite, are happy to assist you with your questions and their experience. You're going to meet a lot of very nice and interesting people.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So, what Pro said. Without a plan, the excitement of getting your new toy will conflict heavily with the learning needed to understand the systems. Not understanding why something does not work when you camp/travel is frustrating and that just messes up the whole smile thing.

Get your sales person's cell phone number, the service manager's phone number, the orientation tech's number, the service writer's number and the receptionist's name. Build relationships at all levels. You will have questions.

Winterize - understand the process, where the valves are located, and why you need to do the process. Your coach may have been winterized and valves may still be closed that need to be open for systems to work properly.

Electrical - hookup, use/store switch, fuse location, battery location/type, voltage meter, voltage to charge level relationship, inverter, converter, and 12 volt vs 120 volt power use. Discuss surge protector - likely you should just get one. Discuss 50, 30, 15 amp pigtails - you will need the adapters.

HVAC - Air conditioning and heating control including heat pump and furnace with special attention to the control panel - do that one yourself more than once and then do it again.

Awning - put it out and roll it up. They are a bit tricky, but not difficult. Spend time understanding how the arms bind and how to free them to slide. Never leave the coach with the awning extended unless there is no chance of rain or wind.

Windows - learn how to safely open them without damaging the seal when they stick - get 303 conditioner to keep them from sticking. Easy to hit head or gear on open windows. Develop a plan to show they are open, like aircraft pre-flight ribbon flags.

Propane - learn how to turn on/off, remove/replace for fill, check liquid level, and enable tank to tank cross-over.

Refrigerator - electric and gas operation, ventilation while stored, keeping creepy out of the fan and flame area and keeping door shut in transit.

Stove/oven - learn how to light both and do it. Hearing is not good enough. See where the oven pilot light is. Know which stove knob operates which burner. Learn how to open the hood exterior vent.

Tanks - learn how to monitor level and dump (Youtube videos are good starting points) and hook up the hoses dry to learn how much force is and is not required. Take special interest in fresh water tank including how to fill without over pressuring the tank, where the sterilization section is in the manual, and how the level monitor works.

The black tank flush water connection looks a lot like the city/shore water connection. Take note and figure out how to tell the difference and how to use the flush.

Shore water - learn how and where to connect, how to vent trapped air, and how to connect/replace the filter (externals reduce leak points but AS gives you an internal). The built in pressure regulator is prone to leaking. Have the tech discuss where to check for leaks and have a backup plan for such a problem.

Vent Fans - Understand what the switches do and how to set the fans for front or rear ventilation. You got to have air coming in to get air out, so discuss options.

Hitch - yes, you need one. Do your research. Get the one you feel is best, not what the dealer wants you to have. Understand how the tech sets it up. Ask questions and assume you may have to do it all over. Trailer must be level. That may require a different hitch shank.

Tires - get torque requirement for lug nuts and tire pressure. Check regularly at stops and daily walk around. At a minimum torque lug nuts at 100 miles, 500 miles and 1000 miles, with a follow up for every trip.

Brakes - discuss how they adjust, when they should be mechanically checked, how to set the controller and how to activate the trailer brakes in an emergency. Spend some extra time researching this issue and practice daily to verify controller setting and function.

Stay a night or two close to the dealer. Read the manuals and operate the systems again and again once more. Take notes if that works for you.

What is missed above, like step operation, door closing, leaks, dinette table function and bed setup. There is a lot to learn. Colonial has video on most models. Some quality time with them will help you pass the time until yours is delivered. Some folks even go to the factory to see their coach built.

Discuss how to secure your gear when traveling. Zip ties are great. Bungy cords help.

Be prepared to walk away from a deal if the coach is not built correctly, has major flaws, or was not appropriately prepped. You are going to have some screws loosen up, so don't sweat the small stuff, but really pay attention to the big stuff. Lots of info here. Take advantage of their experience, and do not be discouraged. There are lots of smiles that show up when you fix a problem yourself, even if you have to call the tech for help.

Good luck with the process. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
deep breaths...

Great posts! Wow, I need to figure out how to print these lists out... ...make it easier on myself...

"Be prepared to walk away from a deal if the coach is not built correctly, has major flaws, or was not appropriately prepped. You are going to have some screws loosen up, so don't sweat the small stuff, but really pay attention to the big stuff. " PKI

How in the world am I going to recognize these kinds of issues being an AS newb?

Got me thinking now, going to start on Youtube soon to supplement my learning experience , and I think the Colonial AS videos I keep hearing about...

Thanks again, great points to consider without question.!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
Cant wait to be Rivetted

Currently Looking...
Binbrook , Ontario
Thanks for that info much appreciated!
Tkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Cant wait to be Rivetted

Currently Looking...
Binbrook , Ontario
I was thinking the same how to get these to print? I ended up doing copy paste to my notes on my iPhone so now I have all the great info in one spot
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Welcome

Let us know if we can help:-)
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Exclamation D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkelly View Post
I was thinking the same how to get these to print? I ended up doing copy paste to my notes on my iPhone so now I have all the great info in one spot
Now you've done it, I have to go and try something I've never done before now!! with a dang gadget too...

But if I can figure that out I'll be trying to learn how to dance a jig next heheh

Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Pat you are awesome! We are on our second airstream and you posted things I never thought of. Can't tell you how valuable your advice is. Thank you!
mjsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #20
Cant wait to be Rivetted

Currently Looking...
Binbrook , Ontario