Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

1983 31' Excella
Ellsworth , Maine
Gifted a '83 Excella 31', what now?

Pulled it back to my house already. Have an '04 Sunline Solaris that's ready to be replaced. Couldn't walk away from this opportunity but I'm completely overcome by the amount of work this represents. She's in really good shape for how old she is but I'm starting to see through the rose colored glasses now that I can go out there with a cup of coffee and really look. What have I gotten myself into?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170730_Excella_owners.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	291377  
Diamond DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
First off, congratulations on your "new to you" aluminum baby!

There are lots of threads here that will go into great depths on the kinds of things you may want to look for as you decide what things are likely to need fixing and the best order in which to attempt those fixes. What you do also depends on your goals. Restoration? Renovation? Just the minimum for camp-ability?

Most work starts with figuring out how handy you are. Then, how much the trailer has leaked in the past, how much water damage it has suffered, and where to start first.

Lots to think about, welcome!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Congratulations on your new trailer!! My advice: just use it, don't get overcome if there is to much work. Address the immediate concerns first fix as you go. Plan a bit of fixes each year and maintenance. The reward of using the airstream will be different then other trailers
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Assuming she's road-worthy and the floors aren't soft enough to be an immediate concern, this seems good advice. As you use it, you'll find out what's OK and what isn't. As you camp, you can start making a list of issues you want to address and begin to plan that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer!! My advice: just use it, don't get overcome if there is to much work. Address the immediate concerns first fix as you go. Plan a bit of fixes each year and maintenance. The reward of using the airstream will be different then other trailers

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #5

1983 31' Excella
Ellsworth , Maine
Thanks for the Welcome and the Replies

I'm liking the 'just use it' advice. That really is the whole point now isn't it? We'll get her cleaned up, leak check the water/waste system and the propane lines and see how many of the appliances work as intended. Just have to plan a weekend get away after that.
Diamond DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond DW View Post
I'm liking the 'just use it' advice. That really is the whole point now isn't it? We'll get her cleaned up, leak check the water/waste system and the propane lines and see how many of the appliances work as intended. Just have to plan a weekend get away after that.

Awesome! That's such a beautiful gift and the memories will be even better! Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote