Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #1

tallahassee , Florida
Exclamation Getting the AS, just need a little help.

Well after much lurking I am posting and after much looking I am purchasing.
I have found what I want and have put down a deposit. I am in FL while the AS is in NY. I am so overwhelmed right now, I need to start making a list of things: to do, to bring, to check, to monitor, best route there and back...you get the picture. I know this is a knowlegable and helpful group and would appreciate as much guidance as possible.
I have a F250 crewcab, B100 drinking powerstoke, with no mods. I do not have a brake controller. I have found a 34' 1991 60th Anniversary in "good shape". The pictures look good, I think it has a 6pin connector, unsure of tire dates or wheel bearings.
Now what do I do? Is there anyone in the Saratoga Springs area able to take on a recon mission?
rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations, you will enjoy the 34'. Very roomy. What year is your F250? Is it new enough to have the integrated brake controller?

Ah, Tallahassee. I once took a wrong turn at a Burger King, missed getting back on I10, and ended up puling the Trade Wind past the capitol at 5:00 pm. No one was amused.

Vaughan

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Congratulations on your purchase and first post! Just remember that Airstreaming is an adventure! I believe if you use the "search" feature for trailer inspectors, you may find some forum members in the Saratoga Springs area to help you out. If not found through the search function - try a new thread with a specific heading "trailer inspector requested - Saratoga Springs, NY". Hope this is helpful and good luck!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll
Well after much lurking I am posting and after much looking I am purchasing.
I have found what I want and have put down a deposit. I am in FL while the AS is in NY. I am so overwhelmed right now, I need to start making a list of things: to do, to bring, to check, to monitor, best route there and back...you get the picture. I know this is a knowlegable and helpful group and would appreciate as much guidance as possible.
I have a F250 crewcab, B100 drinking powerstoke, with no mods. I do not have a brake controller. I have found a 34' 1991 60th Anniversary in "good shape". The pictures look good, I think it has a 6pin connector, unsure of tire dates or wheel bearings.
Now what do I do? Is there anyone in the Saratoga Springs area able to take on a recon mission?
Congratulations on your purchase.
I may not be able to help you with the best possible route there and back but I might be able to provide something for your other questions/concerns.
Your trailer connector should be a standard 7-pin connector. You can find the pin-out for it on this site: trailer wiring diagrams.
As for a brake controller, there are two very popular ones. The Jordan Ultima and the Tekonsha Prodigy. I like the Prodigy but either will work fine.
Repack the bearings and replace the seals before towing and you will know they are good.
Make sure the tires have no dry-rot and have them replaced if they do. That is quite a long trip to be risking a tire failure.
Good luck and I hope this info helped.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congrats!

Congratulations! To go from lurker to poster to buyer of a 34 shows courage and a future as Forums poster.. Hopefully you'll find someone to help with looking in Saratoga Springs to reduce potential surprises to manageable list...

As one who drove over 2,000 miles to pick up used trailer purchased sight unseen, here is my list of stuff to be ready for or take along:

1. The big toolbox, plus a few extra power tools (drill, edge grinder etc) if you have them, along with a long extension cord..
2. Stuff for living in trailer on way home, including pillow, linens or sleeping bag and towels and paper towels and TP, etc. Good supply of beer would help.
3. Campground directory and cell phone with proper chargers.
4. Perhaps an extra unmounted tire, since that is size not everyone stocks and you may be stuck after local tire shop closes... With 6 potentially old ST tires, statistically one is likely to fail on ride home..
5. All the required hitch items, or confirmation they are part of the purchase. Spring bars, sway control, wiring jumpers, and a 12V DVM or test light are handy... Throw in a few extra fuses and light bulbs for truck and trailer (1156/1157 are popular items..)
6. If you plan to use reverse along the trip, an inexpensive pair of FRS hand-held radios or walkie talkies are a great way to gain an extra pair of eyes to help avoid body damage before getting unit home..
7. Maybe some 2x8 leveling boards or blocks and chocks to hold unit in place and level when camped, or if you have to unhook it...

I'd have brake controller installed before you leave, and keep calibration and adjustment instructions in glove compartment for use when you get there..

Good luck!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I second that ...... bearings and tires unless the owner had them done recently. I have a newer 05 34 classic with disk brakes. Actibrake who makes the brake actuator and Airstream told me to get the Hayes Genisis controler because my old one didnt work right. If you plan on upgrading your trailer or brake system in a few years Id go with the Hayes controler. Works great for me. An awful lot of folks on here like the prodigy and I think thats fine too.
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Oh yea, the load levelers are a really good idea on a 34 if you have a 250. I pulled mine from St. Louis with the levelers set up wrong and didnt know it. Big difference if its set up right. Give yourself time to fool with the setup and ask the owner lots of questions before you hit the road. Remember, WIIIDE turns.
Good Luck!
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
Remember, WIIIDE turns.
With that size trailer and a TV.... REALLY WIIIIDE turns!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote