Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Spring , Texas
Getting set up

Hello all
My wife and I have been looking for a weekend getaway, someplace to go on the weekends that is quiet. Since we both enjoy fishing Jennifer found a lot for sale on a bayou in Southeast Texas. Well, we ended up getting it and then started looking for a used camper trailer to park on it for those quiet weekends. Had no idea we would find a 1995 25' Excella Classic! We are both so excited, can't wait for the utilities to be hooked up on the property. Should have electricity this week, and water and sewer should be within the next month. We've had the trailer to state parks a couple of times and sure do enjoy it.
I was only slightly let down when I discovered A frame rust. I kept thinking it looked like the tongue may be bent upward. Got to looking and inside the A frame where the wires for lights go through the frame there is lots of rust. Can't see in there but stuck my finger in and found lots of big chunks flaking off. I still can't be sure it is bent, probably just my imagination. Seems to tow very well with the 05 2500HD. I can't make it flex by jumping on it - as I have read on this forum -"stop digging and go camping"
Everything else works well, the ice pick didn't find any soft floor.
I understand the life of a trailer is lengthened with good maintenance. Other than cleaning, checking for leaks and not letting problems go what else should be routing maintenance? Has anyone made up a checklist of things such as window seal maintenance, etc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excella.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	693.2 KB
ID:	65564  
BayouFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A straight edge should settle the matter.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations! Living on a bayou in an Airstream, fishing...Sigh ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Spring , Texas
Thanks!
We enjoy Missouri as well. Go there every year in the fall.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Love the swoosh on the side! swanky!!!!!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats on your your Excella...relaxing and fishin' on your own piece of earth on the bayou...what a ice image that brings to mind! Go for it! Hmmm... you otta put in a few extra hookups just in case "neighbors" want/happen to stop by for a while...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up

Hey Bayous
Good for yall.
Which bayou? or at least how far from Spring and which direction?
I guess your talking salt water bayou. (Is there any other kind?)
Did yall pay the extra to get a mosquito free-lot?

Are you gonna leave it there or take it each time. If leavin it be sure to get your contingency plan worked out on where to take it if storm is coming.

Assuming your Bayou is coastal, are there any insurance restrictions on coverage for RVs parked in areas where you cannot buy insurance on permanant structures?

Oh and that ain't a bad idea of dual (or more) hookups while they're at it.
Might be a great selling point if the fish don't bite in that spot. Course it might also ruin your "quiet" if you let others use it while yall are there.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
thats a real nice setup. congrats to you
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Congrats on a couple of great finds. Look into the straight edge (or a ruler and string) to determine if the A-frame is straight.

Look really hard at those tires - unless they're very recent and have been protected from UV damage by covers they are going to need replacement sooner than later. The usual daily, weekly and monthly search for critters of both the 4, 8 and 6 legged varieties, winged and terrestrial, is an ever present concern to assure the proper functioning of hot water heaters, your gas regulator, refrigerator, A/C, stove and vent hood, etc... and peace of mind. Give some serious consideration to using a snake collar on the electric line and make sure you seal any unused openings with steel wool and silicone sealant to discourage the reptilian & rodent denizens of the bayou from setting up housekeeping. By the way, it was cold enough in Baton Rouge last January to require the draining and winterization of our unit while it awaited reconstructive surgery on the curbside wheelwell and rear quarter.

Good luck and enjoy your new Airstream!

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog299 View Post
... and make sure you seal any unused openings with steel wool and silicone sealant to discourage the reptilian & rodent denizens of the bayou from setting up housekeeping. ..
You would be better off with copper wool rather than steel wool since the steel will rust like crazy. Don't use silicone sealant around the aluminum! Instead, use Sikaflex, Trempro 635 or a Polyurethane sealant. I saw cases of Sikaflex 231 in black color at the factory last Dec. when having repairs done. I looked for a long time for the gray color but I guess they were using it in another area of the factory. It works great around the rubber hoses hanging down under the trailer as would the gray color.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
You would be better off with copper wool rather than steel wool since the steel will rust like crazy. Don't use silicone sealant around the aluminum! Instead, use Sikaflex, Trempro 635 or a Polyurethane sealant. I saw cases of Sikaflex 231 in black color at the factory last Dec. when having repairs done. I looked for a long time for the gray color but I guess they were using it in another area of the factory. It works great around the rubber hoses hanging down under the trailer as would the gray color.
What he said ... I must have had a brain cramp (or somthingk!) Still, assume that the creepy crawlies will attempt incursion and act accordingly...

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I really want to see pictures of your bayou

A shed might be good to have at your campsite.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Spring , Texas
de-regulation has new meaning

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!
d'drummer it is Chocolate. All of the mosquito free lots had already been taken.
We are leaving it parked there. It is easy enough to hook up and go somewhere else for the weekend should we want to.
MandolinDave I am afraid the camera has been all but forgotten. You're right I need to charge up the batteries and get to using it again. We have decided on a carport type shed for the boat, it will have a small storage area on one end.
Davidz and Olddog thanks for the suggestions on how to keep out unwanted guests! I believe we will get some Brillo on the way there today.
The tires are new Maxxis and after a close inspection I found nothing to cause concern yet.
HankandLois - I assumed the swoosh was factory - is it?

Latest on the utilities -
Now we have found out the transformer is a fake (on the ground, underground wiring) and has to be replaced. 6 weeks! And since we are not going to buy enough electricity to make them rich they might charge us to install the transformer! Ridiculous! If we were beginning construction of a home there would be no charge.
Do these Honda generators have 30A capabilities for the AirV and are they a viable option?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	65756  
Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You can get a Honda 3000 generator and it will run your AC, whch you will porbably need..pricey and heavy...or get two 2000's and tandem them...less expensive, and not as heavy and one 2000 will run everything else by itself. Hondas and Yamahas are the quieter ones... Less expensive ones will not be as quiet, but may cost less, and may not give you the best power for your appliances... There's a lot of discussion on the topic of generators in the Generator/Solar subforum: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/ Go there to dins what is best for you. Would not recommend leaving the generator there when you're not...they are prone to "disappearing"...

By the way, that's a wonderul spot...lucky you!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Spring , Texas
We gave in

Decided the convenience of electricity was worth it.
Thanks for the Honda info. We already have a noisy one - IIRC a 5500w continuous but it is very noisy. Will be good for power outages during storms.