Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Anytown , Virginia
getting into airstreams...

Hi all-

Looking at getting into an airstream for traveling around national parks and public lands, to serve as a base/launching point to adventures.... vacations, kayaking, paragliding, etc.

Will be pulling with a 2500 diesel. Registered here to learn what I dont know and see if the airstream style trailer is the right fit. Trying to decide what length/options would work best for the long term.

Looking forward to learning!

K
KurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
KurtP

Are you anywhere Copper Hill va?

Virginia Highland Haven is there an Airstream only park. Pick a day go visit and I bet you’ll see a lot and have chance to meet a bunch of air streamers.

Lots of info on this forum.

Previous RV or camping experience ?

Enjoy

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Anytown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
KurtP

Are you anywhere Copper Hill va?

Virginia Highland Haven is there an Airstream only park. Pick a day go visit and I bet you’ll see a lot and have chance to meet a bunch of air streamers.

Lots of info on this forum.

Previous RV or camping experience ?

Enjoy

Gary
Airstream only park? interesting.... its only about an hour and half from me, so that would be an easy trip.

No previous RV experience, lots of experience primitive camping and truck camping, and we do it pretty frequently. We still like to go primitive via truck or hiking, but have found our trips getting longer and longer and I'm ready for some amenities, especially when staying in one place for a bit. Most of the places we explore, we will base out of a spot and then head into the remote parts for a couple days and RTT or bivvy sack it. But then I find, especially with kids, the ability to come back, and get out of the elements and get a shower and solid sleep is nice.

Want to keep traveling and exploring and not have the kids equate every part of every trip as logging long miles and trudging through whatever the elements are. When basing in an area to fly for a few days or hike loops, having the amenities/comforts of a trailer would be nice, too.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Besides this great resource, check out YouTube and search Airstream, lots of good videos with Airstreamers. Check out Airstream Life Magazine, good info...
Old 05-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Anytown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
Besides this great resource, check out YouTube and search Airstream, lots of good videos with Airstreamers. Check out Airstream Life Magazine, good info...
will do. thanks!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #6

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
There is a great series of Youtube videos called Loloho (long long honeymoon) that are fun and very informative, and practice backing up and practice backing up.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: You certainly sound like a family that enjoys the great outdoors. Like Virgina, we have a lot of the great outdoors here in Colorado.

As you study Airstreams you will discover they make a "bunk" model that sleeps more people. And since you will like to "dry camp", you might give some thought to a couple of solar panels on the roof and good batteries to keep your lights on, water pump running, and the furnace fan blowing.

Airstreams are great travel trailers. The one I'm sitting in right now is 33 years old and still going strong. That said, they are built lightweight and don't like really rocky Colorado forest service roads. Ground clearance isn't the highest in the market, and the aluminum skins can crease with just a bit of a sharp stick hanging out from a tree.

Back in the fifties and sixties the Airstream founder organized big caravans for Airstream owners, including Africa and even around the world. He wanted the comforts of home while in the boondocks.

Jump right in and learn all the positives and negatives of the Airstream ownership. You will find it all here.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Anytown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Welcome from Colorado: You certainly sound like a family that enjoys the great outdoors. Like Virgina, we have a lot of the great outdoors here in Colorado.

As you study Airstreams you will discover they make a "bunk" model that sleeps more people. And since you will like to "dry camp", you might give some thought to a couple of solar panels on the roof and good batteries to keep your lights on, water pump running, and the furnace fan blowing.

Airstreams are great travel trailers. The one I'm sitting in right now is 33 years old and still going strong. That said, they are built lightweight and don't like really rocky Colorado forest service roads. Ground clearance isn't the highest in the market, and the aluminum skins can crease with just a bit of a sharp stick hanging out from a tree.

Back in the fifties and sixties the Airstream founder organized big caravans for Airstream owners, including Africa and even around the world. He wanted the comforts of home while in the boondocks.

Jump right in and learn all the positives and negatives of the Airstream ownership. You will find it all here.

David
Thanks for the info. We have sometimes wondered about going with an adventure trailer set up instead. We could off road it, and even "fully gucci'd" out it costs about half of what an airstream does.

The reason we are leaning AS is because we don't particularly want to try and wheel with a trailer. The 2500 with the AEV kit and the roof top lets us get around where we want to go in that regard, and we can "launch out" from the AS while on the road, and come back to a kitchen, a/c, and a shower.

Solar and big batteries are a must. We have that coming for the truck as well with some redarc power management.

Our next step when I'm on break this summer in the states is to head to the AS dealer and start taking a look at the floor plans and options.

I suspect this forum will continue to be a wealth of knowledge as well.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
Thanks for the info. We have sometimes wondered about going with an adventure trailer set up instead. We could off road it, and even "fully gucci'd" out it costs about half of what an airstream does.

The reason we are leaning AS is because we don't particularly want to try and wheel with a trailer. The 2500 with the AEV kit and the roof top lets us get around where we want to go in that regard, and we can "launch out" from the AS while on the road, and come back to a kitchen, a/c, and a shower.

Solar and big batteries are a must. We have that coming for the truck as well with some redarc power management.

Our next step when I'm on break this summer in the states is to head to the AS dealer and start taking a look at the floor plans and options.

I suspect this forum will continue to be a wealth of knowledge as well.
My son bought an OPUS Offroad for these kind of adventures. He has a 5 and 7 year old and they seem to be comfortable. More setup and fiddling than an AS, but it is pretty cool. I have done a bunch of mods for him. Outside hot shower, solar install, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Don't overlook buying used.

Another cool option is to get a previously owned trailer. The key advantages are:
  • SAVE tons of $$$$$$
  • Trailer likely already comes with tons of extras you could use and don't have to buy
  • You can easily customize it to your exact needs
  • Coming with a nice patina, you'll already avoid the dreaded "first scrach fear" syndrome
  • You can easily end up with a trailer better than new but for tens of thousands of dollors less than new
  • Going through this process, you will know your trailer inside and out and be able to do many fixes and repairs yourself!

There's lots of help here, even if all you start off with is a rusty frame and old shell! All you'll need is some time and patience and a willingness to DIY.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Anytown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Another cool option is to get a previously owned trailer. The key advantages are:
  • SAVE tons of $$$$$$
  • Trailer likely already comes with tons of extras you could use and don't have to buy
  • You can easily customize it to your exact needs
  • Coming with a nice patina, you'll already avoid the dreaded "first scrach fear" syndrome
  • You can easily end up with a trailer better than new but for tens of thousands of dollors less than new
  • Going through this process, you will know your trailer inside and out and be able to do many fixes and repairs yourself!

There's lots of help here, even if all you start off with is a rusty frame and old shell! All you'll need is some time and patience and a willingness to DIY.
I rarely buy things new....Especially on things like this. I suspect there are lots of folks who buy AS's and end up keeping them about a year or two, doing nothing with them, and selling....
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
getting into airstreams...

Yup. That’s how we got ours. Made one trip with original owners, then got traded for a bigger one. Saved a lot of money and got an Airstream that’s been relatively problem free.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote