Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Extended warranty - I read through your thread on what was covered. For $3000. How much of that stuff would have to break to have it cost $3000? Your refrigerator might go out and spoil food - but the parts most likely to fail would cost $55 to $200. Could you break an axle? Yes. In the first two years due to a defect - Airstream would pay for the replacement. If it lasts over 2 years odds are it won't fail for a defect in the next 20 years. Suspension? Beyond the axles and shocks what IS an Airstream's suspension?

Put the $3000 in the bank - spend it on repairs IF they are needed.

Paula
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Good comments all around. I offer some insight to the issue raised by rmkrum -

"I had a conventional WD hitch that required snapping very heavy bars int place by lifting them into place while on my knees, then levering a chain into position, and flat found it too be too darn hard, and I'm not a small guy. Using a wrench on the ProPride or other design WD jacks is a heck of a lot easier, among other points of that design. Look into hitch systems carefully. They can require a great deal of force or lifting in awkward positions."

For conventional WD bars - An alternative method is to place the tongue on the ball, lock it, and then use the power jack to lift the trailer (& TV rear end) upwards to slightly above the riding height. It is then possible to set the bars in place, lock the latches/chains, and drop the power jack back into the 'ready to travel' position. It only requires a few pounds of pressure to 'snap' the WD bar catches.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastytreks View Post
Greetings all! Single woman here, seriously considering pulling the trigger on purchasing a 2010 27’ CCD International Signature. I used to fulltime with my ex-sweetie in a 24’ Class A ’71 Grumman, and would plan to use the AS for full-timing between 6-8 months of the year after some initial smaller trips/practice period. I’m getting a lot of results when I try to search these topics separately, so thought I could maybe toss out a few of my current hesitations for expert input - ? Need to make a decision in next day or two.

- Ticket prices on new are staggering to me, but then there’s the new ducted AC to consider, and several folks have advised me, ‘you’re just going to trade in later anyway’… I've never purchased anything this expensive aside from my house, but the price on the 2010 at least seems in the realm of the do-able. I hate the thought of eating that initial depreciation on a 2015. I see ‘buy gently used’ offered as advice on here, but not sure if that applies when such a major new improvement as the AC had been rolled out. I initially was thinking to buy & restore a vintage, but ultimately deemed it to be way beyond my skillset/tolerance.

- Should I spring for an extended warranty on the 2010? $3k for 4 years.

- Ok to store her in my unpaved (Florida sandy soil) driveway for now? I'd consider paving later after a proving period.

- Am I going to be able to handle a 27’ alone? Awning opening, hitching, etc.? I’m youngish (42) and pretty strong, but I’m petite, and jeez – I couldn't even reach both handles to open the window over the dinette yesterday with the table up.

Have to buy a TV too (thinking Tundra right now; an early 2000s model I can just pay cash for) but I know there’s a ton of threads on here addressing TV questions.
What's the price range on the 2010 27' ?

There seem to be discounts on new/nearly new from the high volume dealerships that make the price delta not what you'd expect vs used.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The bars in my prior hitch, a Husky brand WD only setup, had to be lifted into sockets on the TV side and snapped in, then the tension had to be applied. I did use the jack to assist setting the tension, still do on the ProPride. The issue I was having is installing the bars every time I hitched up was a heavy, greasy pain in the butt. For ProPride or Hensley designs, it's just insert stinger in truck (typically once per trip) then back in, hook up, tension and go. No lifting bars into TV end of hitch. The stinger is heavy, yes, but easier to put into the TV receiver in my experience. And yes, it does take practice to get stinger into the head. Now that I have a backup camera it's super easy...

Just saying look into what has to be lifted, manipulated, or tensioned before you settle on a hitch system. It makes a difference. I'm not pushing the Hensley designs at this point (unusual for me, I know!)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Last bits of advice - Canadian prices ALWAYS seem to be a bit high to me - but that could be the exchange rate too. First calculate whatever the price is in Canada in US dollars. If your Airstream is going to live in Florida and travel mainly in the USA... maybe just maybe it makes more sense to buy it here. Though honestly I have no idea what problems might arise if you took it into Canada as a Canadian citizen. I'd presume they'd want you to pay import duties but "used import" vs. new? And then there are some differences in wiring codes between the two countries and I know that even horizontal propane tanks have issues since they can't use OPD valves...................

......... oh why did I even start that thought???

Buy the one you like and enjoy it - It'll drive you nuts trying to mess with all of the international issues.

You're 41
you live in Canada
you might not love your medical system but it gives you a safety net
get good insurance on the Airstream
enjoy it

If the whole thing turns to crap, sell it and you still have years to recover from the mis-step

If you die young.... don't be saying "I wish I'd bought that Airstream..." So the family doesn't get a big fat juicy inheritance? If they are bright and ambitious they'll earn their own. If they're stupid they'll blow yours in a year! Avant! Damn the Torpedos, full speed ahead!

Paula
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4U View Post
Hi TastyT:

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but you sound very eager. GO SLOW! Can you REALLY afford this?

Everyone here will be happy to help you spend your money. No one here will be asking you to move in with them if you come upon hard times.

It is impossible to give you a reality check without understanding your financial position better. I assume that like most of us you aren't swimming in money. If I'm not correct just plunk down a wad of cash on a new Land Yacht and hire Bill Gates to tow you from campsite to campsite.

If I am correct, you'll really need to provide more information before some of us are going to happily extend our reassurance. Are you working? What will you do for income while on the road? Do you have health insurance? Do you have any dependents? Will you need to finance the purchase? What other financial obligations do you have? Do you have at LEAST a six month emergency cash surplus? Do you have a retirement plan? Is it adequately funded on it's current course to keep you out of the poorhouse when you're much older? Will you be pulling money out of your retirement plan to pay for any part of this adventure? Do you have cash available for all of the startup supplies that you'll need? Hoses, cords, generators, tools, decorations, bedding, new tires, and on and on - it all can add up very quickly.

Some of us old-timers would tell you that if you have to finance it you can't afford it. Something to think about.

Good luck!
I want to UPvote this comment:

>Some of us old-timers would tell you that if you have to finance it you can't >afford it. Something to think about.

Even more so a depreciating asset like a RV. Despite any stories you might have heard that Jay leno bought somebodys restored classic for big money .... RVs are a *depreciating* asset. Things with engines in them deprecate x2 as fast. Initial hit plus your transaction costs. Look at the 20 year 5% table and you'll be underwater for 15+ years on that loan. So if the marriage to the machine doesn't work out,and half of them or more don't, you'll be paying approximately $10s of K at the divorce.

I recently purchased new and am under no illusions that this was anything but an extreme luxury personal mid life indulgence with some relatively "found money".

> Everyone here will be happy to help you spend your money. No one here will >be asking you to move in with them if you come upon hard times.

If you are committed to trying the lifestyle out there are ways to manage the cost if you can be patient. But still talking $$$.

Buy a used and carefully selected and inspected 5-6 Year old trailer. This is the average ownership period on RVs so a buyer with self-restraint is in the driver seat. Starting at 45% of retail will cushion you.

Go the Canadian way and select an appropriately sized TV, say 3-4 years old. You can tow safely with a relatively new good output V6 Sedan, Minivan and some SUVs properly set up and the process will make you safer. Fuel and Capital savings on a more driveable vehicle attached and not. If your used vehicle is 1/2 new price and 1/2 the size of the person who bought an over sized truck you are at 25% of what they paid for their TV.

If you are worried about the cost of your vacation all the time, you might not enjoy it.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
I want to UPvote this comment:

>Some of us old-timers would tell you that if you have to finance it you can't >afford it. Something to think about.

Even more so a depreciating asset like a RV. Despite any stories you might have heard that Jay leno bought somebodys restored classic for big money .... RVs are a *depreciating* asset. Things with engines in them deprecate x2 as fast. Initial hit plus your transaction costs. Look at the 20 year 5% table and you'll be underwater for 15+ years on that loan. So if the marriage to the machine doesn't work out,and half of them or more don't, you'll be paying approximately $10s of K at the divorce.
I agree with everything you say - nonetheless I did finance the balance on my new to me 2012 Eddie Bauer. The insurance payoff on the wrecked 06 Safari was very fair. I could have bought another 06 Safari for that amount; but not a newer, fancier model.

MY EXCEPTION - I HAD the cash available to buy the newer A/S. I got a rate of 3.58 or something close to that... using "OPM" at 3.58 interetsa no-brainer. And I'm frugal, not cheap, just frugal. SO... I double, triple or sixtuple my payments. Balance falling rapidly to the floor, paying a modest amount of interest and still have lots of cash sitting in the bank for any impulsive to necessary thing I need/want. Bad times hit, I pay off the loan, still have cash, retreat to camps covered with the "America the Beautiful pass" and geezer it out.

Paula

Paula
Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Welcome tastytreks! I don't post much but lurk often. I'd like to add my 2 cents with respect to hooking up and unhooking alone. I'm not single but often take our trailer and set it up at a campground by myself. It takes a little longer than if I would have a "spotter" but I do it all the time. Sometimes, I get self-appointed spotters at the campgrounds who are more of a hindrance than if I did it myself. I've learned to do most everything on the trailer by myself so if I ever decide to run away from home, I can! BTW, I'm in my early 50's and not afraid to try anything once.
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Go for it!

When I was in your area I camped quite often - sometimes within 10 miles of my house! There are so many beautiful, waterfront sites to spend the weekends just chillin' that I couldn't resist. All those short trips prepared me for my cross-country move a few years ago. I towed my 27' vintage gal from Titusville to Reno with only one white-knuckle event: navigating through Dallas at peak traffic/commute time.

Florida was a great place to learn to tow (and backup) - flat and wide roads! Now that I'm in the DC area, I'm learning to get through very tight and congested places.

The single, roof (non-ducted) a/c has always been adequate for me in FL. Not sure how much I'd be willing to spend just to get the ducted unit.

While I'd like to have a 20XX Airstream, I love my 1973 A/S just as much as I would a new one - with the exception of having a grey tank. I've put many miles on my 2000 Yukon XL but will have to replace her this year - albeit with a 2007/2008 model. I've learned that I don't need the newest model anything - and save my $$$$ for the unexpected. I've gone from professional to unemployed, to barely employed, and back. But this year I may say adiós to professional life again. Thinking of heading to Pt St Lucie FL and working at a riverside bar!!! Maybe I'll see you around
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
As I Frequently Remind Male Friends

A sewing machine is a power tool.

There are plenty of men who can't back worth a nickel.

Once in a while I've had to try six or seven times, and it's very bad news when I'm trying to back up tired, but one and done is becoming more and more frequent - even hooking up to the Hensley is something I'v done in one or two tries lately, though last spring it did put me through a 5.5 hour "my life is hell" afternoon. (Do a search: it IS funny in retrospect --- in the "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" sense).

As far as used prices - I recently looked at a late model ad, and sent a request only to find that the unit had just sold... It was advertised for "$79,000 priced to sell fast" and a new one lists for $101,000. Now if I called Colonial and said Patrick Botticelli I want to buy that new $101,000 model. I want to pay $80K - there'd be some negotiation back and forth and I'd have to pay taxes title and dealer prep... but we'd come in somewhere pretty close to $80K. And it would be a brand spanking new never had anyone sit on the john or sleep in the bed - full two year warranty unit!

When it comes to bargain prices on used Airstreams let the buyer beware. If you don't know what new list and actual new sale price were your bargain could really be the seller's. Of course I imagine that the seller puts his "I WANT" price out there, then simply hopes that a novice buyer happens along. You could look at an 06 Safari (now Flying Cloud) that in a 2015 model currently lists for over $72K and think that an 06 at $48K is pretty good. Problem is the original buyer paid about $50k. - You've also got to compare upgrades like ultra leather or awnings all around.

I hate to haggle only slightly less than I hate to pay too much!

Happy trails, Paula
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hitching up solo with a back up camera is easy. They are cheap enough and wireless so the install is not high tech wire pulling. They beat the hell out of a helper that does not communicate clearly. Listen to Paula. She knows her stuff.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Tasty,
Get out there! You aint a gittin' any younger, so take the leap, and go on n git u one!
When you wake up everyday with a huge GRIN on yeo face, God will be smilin wit ya too!
Best of luck, and we hope to see you down the road.

Paula, I want you for my neighbor. You're a hoot! Girlpower galore in this thread.

Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok.. so whatcha gonna do?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Could make this a "vote" thread. Ask any member who has been here for 2 years or longer - How many times have you seen an ad for an Airstream that is ONE year old or newer for sale with "health issues force sale" as the reason.

It's easy to keep waiting and waiting, because the house needs a new roof, the second car is a beater on it's last leg, we have to save enough that our children can go to Harvard, or it's just not sensible to waste THAT much on a camper... and at age 71 they finally buy their Airstream. And within a a couple of months one partner or the other has a serious medical condition and won't be able to go camping - probably ever again.

Now, unless you're Warren Buffet, or at least Oprah, you have to make choices. You can be frugal and still own a new Airstream. It's just probably has to be your one big indulgence. Wanting an Airstream might mean you shop for a lot of your clothing at thrift stores, or like me don't buy the "Sex in the City" shoes that cost over $600 per pair.

So if you're truly frugal and want an Airstream - buy it in time to be able to enjoy it for years.

Sincerely, Paula
Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #35
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
- buy it in time to be able to enjoy it for years.

Sincerely, Paula
My neighbor, who was an avid camper, came over shortly after I got mine and said "Enjoy it while you can". He died of cancer few weeks later. You can happily camp in a tent. But if you can camp in an Airstream, within your means, why not!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

have you made a decision?
rickyandcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Everyone, I want to thank you for your thoughtful replies and considered advice. I apologize for the delay in providing an update, but I have been busy finalizing my plans before announcing them. (And I will respond to the PMs shortly). So! Let me see if I can at least generally address the majority of the concerns/considerations I’ve seen mentioned…

Yes, I AM soon to be the proud new owner of that 2010 27FB International Signature. I am SUPER excited. Same monthly payment as what I had (emphasis on past tense) been forking over for my ’09 Honda Fit. I opted against the extended warranty and will take my lumps out of pocket if fate so decrees, but I took the excellent advice offered by Alice & Bud and prodded the dealer for new tires (not needed, as it turns out) and batteries (the others were okay but they will toss brand new Interstates in for me). The 30 day standard warranty period will remain unchanged.

I am a telecommuter so I can continue to work in the AS (though I see I’ll need to give some careful thought to boosting wireless signals). I’m definitely not Oprah and not swimming in cash, yet at the same time no 401ks were harmed in the making of this dream, heh. I have no kiddos, no husband, no one to complain I’m spending an inheritance (and I’d pay no mind if they did). I own my home on a ½ acre, but a couple years ago moved all my things into my smallest room and rented the rest of the place out to roommates – a move I made to better facilitate international travel, since all I need for my job is a computer and an internet connection. I have spent several months out of each of the past few years traveling overseas for pleasure, continuing to work while there. (I just got back from several months in New Zealand – my 3rd trip). I envision my step into the AS family as a lateral move from the sort of travel I’ve been doing… now being able to bring my own things/environment/kitty along for the ride more easily.

I love Clayton’s comment about ‘adaptability’ – I am indeed an adaptable person. I’m also used to getting an idea stuck in my head, researching it to death, then making a gut call based on the gathered info whether it truly was a good option for me or not. This approach has rarely steered me wrong. I’m a taker of calculated risks. AND a believer in emergency savings AND being generally super-thrifty, except for when it comes to (1) travel, (2) good food, and (3) treats for the people I care about. Otherwise, I’m a cheap-a$$ tightwad. That helps fund the things that ARE important, I feel.

One thing I’m not, though, is Canadian – Paula’s comments were excellent and very detailed, though it seems she attempted to export me somewhere along the line. I’m just an American girl in Orlando, FL. So no currency conversions or universal health care need be considered here.

I haven’t yet set a date for delivery (or pickup); I’ll be getting a permit from the county and moving around some fencing first to allow for a nice big ol’ parking space in the sheltered backyard. I’m currently wrestling with tow vehicles; I’ll be paying cash for an oldie, and I’ve been seemingly all over the state seeing and crawling under Tundras, Titan/Armadas, Silverados, and Ram 1500s. Hard to find something DD-suitable yet also rated to easily handle the 7,300 GVWR of my fully laden TT. Wayyyy too many would-be sellers saying “oh! the manufacturer plays those tow ratings really conservatively – you can totally use [insert undersized vehicle here] for that.” Or claiming Tundras/Nissans have a ‘tow package’ when what they really mean is it has a hitch. (But that’s a complaint for another thread; I have indeed read almost all 30 pages of the Tundra one as well as other pertinent threads in that forum area.)

I’ll stick with the included Reese hitch (and sway bars from prior owner) for now, though I will delve into the hitch thread when I am ready to change that up for easier use/fewer wrenches/less greasiness. And I am DEFINITELY liking the idea of a backup camera from Costco…. My parents got off easy this year when I was 8000 miles away for Xmas and my b-day, but they’ll be presented with a heavy-handed hint about that soon.

Thanks again, all. Be seeing you out there soon!

- Dara
tastytreks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

congratulations! Sounds like you've been doing your homework and listening to the advise of others. I hope you have many good years in your new Airstream.

Ricky
rickyandcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:12 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
congrats ! sound wonderful.

no 401k were harmed in the making of this dream.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A sewing machine is a power tool.

There are plenty of men who can't back worth a nickel.

Once in a while I've had to try six or seven times, and it's very bad news when I'm trying to back up tired, but one and done is becoming more and more frequent - even hooking up to the Hensley is something I'v done in one or two tries lately, though last spring it did put me through a 5.5 hour "my life is hell" afternoon. (Do a search: it IS funny in retrospect --- in the "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" sense).

As far as used prices - I recently looked at a late model ad, and sent a request only to find that the unit had just sold... It was advertised for "$79,000 priced to sell fast" and a new one lists for $101,000. Now if I called Colonial and said Patrick Botticelli I want to buy that new $101,000 model. I want to pay $80K - there'd be some negotiation back and forth and I'd have to pay taxes title and dealer prep... but we'd come in somewhere pretty close to $80K. And it would be a brand spanking new never had anyone sit on the john or sleep in the bed - full two year warranty unit!

When it comes to bargain prices on used Airstreams let the buyer beware. If you don't know what new list and actual new sale price were your bargain could really be the seller's. Of course I imagine that the seller puts his "I WANT" price out there, then simply hopes that a novice buyer happens along. You could look at an 06 Safari (now Flying Cloud) that in a 2015 model currently lists for over $72K and think that an 06 at $48K is pretty good. Problem is the original buyer paid about $50k. - You've also got to compare upgrades like ultra leather or awnings all around.

I hate to haggle only slightly less than I hate to pay too much!

Happy trails, Paula
Patrick at Colonial seemed like a good fellow when I spoke to him.

If you're bored with that 2012 EB, you could sell it to me !