Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #1

Hamilton , Virginia
From Class C to Airstream

Our closest friends have an Airstream and we now wish we had purchased an Airstream rather than a Fleetwood Tioga 31M. We enjoy the Class C but believe we would enjoy the Airstream more. So we are going to sell the Tioga and look for an Airstream. We have a Toyota Sequoia as a tow vehicle. Will this vehicle tow an Airstream and if so what would be our limits? If necessary we will trade the Sequoia for a larger tow vehicle when we buy the Airstream.
slcoxsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcoxsr
Our closest friends have an Airstream and we now wish we had purchased an Airstream rather than a Fleetwood Tioga 31M. We enjoy the Class C but believe we would enjoy the Airstream more. So we are going to sell the Tioga and look for an Airstream. We have a Toyota Sequoia as a tow vehicle. Will this vehicle tow an Airstream and if so what would be our limits? If necessary we will trade the Sequoia for a larger tow vehicle when we buy the Airstream.
We had a class C and then a diesel pusher. We traded the pusher for our AS and we love it!!! It was the best thing we could have done. The AS offers so much more variety and fun. And of course this awesome AS community!! So get the for sale sign in the Tioga, get it sold and then you can see more, do more and live more...
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcoxsr
We have a Toyota Sequoia as a tow vehicle. Will this vehicle tow an Airstream and if so what would be our limits? If necessary we will trade the Sequoia for a larger tow vehicle when we buy the Airstream.
A guy that works for me drives a toyota sequoia and he has towed some loads with it that were well beyond anything an airstream trailer weighs and had absolutely no problems. He tells me he is very impressed with how it tows and handles.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I think that your Sequoia could handle a late model 25FB and be within a comfortable range.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I don't know what year your Sequoia is but if you look at Toyota's website, Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories you'll see the newly redesigned Sequoia (based on the current Tundra platform) pulling an Airstream. Tow rating on the new Sequoia is 10,000 lbs.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We felt that our previous travel trailer was not built well enough and considered a Class C too. We think that our decision to get an Airstream instead has worked better for us and I hope that your experience will be positive too. As for your tow capacity, you will be limited to about 22’ with your Sequoia. The 2008 Sequoia could go quite a bit bigger, though.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
The Trailer Life "2008 Guide to Towing" lists the Sequoia 2WD at 6,500 lbs and the 4WD at 6,200 lbs.

I would suggest becoming knowledgeable on tow ratings including the gross combined tow rating.

The answer is yes it can tow an Airstream depending upon the model you select. Before we purchased our Airstream and tow vehicle I did a lot of research on tow ratings and what tow vehicles were appropriate for which trailer I was considering.

I set up an Excel spreadsheet listing the trailer GVWR, the tow vehicle GVWR and the gross vehicle combined weight rating to insure that I would not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating if I was loaded to the max on both the trailer and tow vehicle. It was interesting and eye opening. I did not want to have to worry about exceeding the weights.

I decided to buy an Airstream 30 classic with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lbs. I then decided to buy a 3/4 ton pickup (2005 Dodge Ram diesel) with a 9,000 lbs vehicle rating and a combined rating of 20,000 lbs. In my case, I will never exceed the ratings. (10,000 lbs plus 9,000 lbs is less than the combined rating of 20,000 lbs.) The issue with weight is not ability to pull but the ability to stop.

All I'm suggesting is to have a good understanding of the ratings and knowledge of the combination you are considering.

We love our Airstream and tow combination.

Good luck.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote