Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Found Mine!

I finally got one – my first Airstream: 1973 Overlander! I started casually looking for one to completely remodel and modernize about three/four years ago. Then, two weeks ago I saw two Airstreams on the side of the road For Sale. I tried calling the seller but never got an answer. With renewed enthusiasm, I found this ‘73 Overlander on craigslist. So, within a week, I became the new owner. I admit, I didn’t do the research or examination that I should have – but it seems really clean and the PO honest. With the interior being in such good shape, I’ve reconsidered my intent to renovate (at least for now) except for minor cosmetic updates like upholstery & flooring. The exterior is clean as well but showing signs of corrosion (or maybe top coat oxidation). Don’t know if/when I’ll pursue polishing. My main focus will be to learn how to operate and maintain all the features and how to tow it! My tow-vehicle is a 2006 Xterra – of which the Overlander is about the maximum weight/tongue limits. I did some practicing in a large parking lot and set the controller and WD hitch. Everything felt pretty good – other than my nerves. I look forward to being a part of the A/S community and will have LOADS of questions. My grandparents were airstreamers for most of their life, participating in caravans (US and international) and my grandfather was the president of a WBCCI unit in WV. I called and found that their numbers are still available, if I choose to join. I need to find out more about the club and the different divisions… and have read some on this forum already.

I want replace the electric refrigerator with a 3-way ASAP. Does anyone know who I might hire to do the installation in Cocoa Beach/Central Florida? The PO said that the LP lines are still intact, but I can’t really tell…..

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
It looks like a really nice trailer. But what's with the light pole sticking out of the top?

Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Very nice and welcome to the forums! You will soon get an answer to your question. There is a great Central Florida WBCCI unit you might check into. The president of the unit is a great guy. He's on this forum and goes by silvercabin. You might send him a PM or e-mail to learn more about the club. We are members of the Georgia unit, but are not active, I'm afraid. My wife is into camping, not rallying except for the ones we attend that are organized by members of this forum. Oh well.

Anyway, great to have you on board and hope to hear of many adventures with your new-to-you Airstream. Again, congratulations on your new find.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That's no light pole, that's the Wineguard for new digital television!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Wow, if that's what the digital changeover looks like, I'll pass.

Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post

Yeah, but the reception is great and you can get Hi-Def, too.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
BTW, funkill, as you can tell, we like to have fun around here, even at each other's expense sometime...it just means you're one of us now.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I finally got one – my first Airstream: 1973 Overlander! I started casually looking for one to completely remodel and modernize about three/four years ago. Then, two weeks ago I saw two Airstreams on the side of the road For Sale. I tried calling the seller but never got an answer. With renewed enthusiasm, I found this ‘73 Overlander on craigslist. So, within a week, I became the new owner. I admit, I didn’t do the research or examination that I should have – but it seems really clean and the PO honest. With the interior being in such good shape, I’ve reconsidered my intent to renovate (at least for now) except for minor cosmetic updates like upholstery & flooring. The exterior is clean as well but showing signs of corrosion (or maybe top coat oxidation). Don’t know if/when I’ll pursue polishing. My main focus will be to learn how to operate and maintain all the features and how to tow it! My tow-vehicle is a 2006 Xterra – of which the Overlander is about the maximum weight/tongue limits. I did some practicing in a large parking lot and set the controller and WD hitch. Everything felt pretty good – other than my nerves. I look forward to being a part of the A/S community and will have LOADS of questions. My grandparents were airstreamers for most of their life, participating in caravans (US and international) and my grandfather was the president of a WBCCI unit in WV. I called and found that their numbers are still available, if I choose to join. I need to find out more about the club and the different divisions… and have read some on this forum already.

I want replace the electric refrigerator with a 3-way ASAP. Does anyone know who I might hire to do the installation in Cocoa Beach/Central Florida? The PO said that the LP lines are still intact, but I can’t really tell…..
Enlarging your photo, shows that the axles are shot.

You can check them out yourself, in 30 seconds. The following article will teach you how.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
InlandAndy may be right, but I honestly can't see the top of the wheel in the photo when I enlarge it. Follow his link and follow the directions on how to inspect the axles by the torsion/angle arm method. If he is right, this would take precedence over replacing the fridge IMHO.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Enlarging your photo, shows that the axles are shot.

You can check them out yourself, in 30 seconds. The following article will teach you how.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
OMG - you've got to be kidding me..... I'm in a state of panic now. Shot? Crap. I'll check out the link and try not to cry......
Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh nooooo --- I am much too novice to even figure out what to look at ... I looked at the link for checking my axles and have NO idea where the torsion arm is... where are you looking??? Oh - this is sounding really bad.

[IMG]file:///c:/temp/moz-screenshot-10.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///c:/temp/moz-screenshot-11.jpg[/IMG]
Does this pic tell any more about their condition --- figured PO might not want their photo on this ... thus, the flowers!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I want to say I am jealouse again I loved my 1973 overlander 27 footer. That is 1 fine trailer. If you want to check your axles call tech support at Jackson center. Andy told me mine were shot to. I was devistated until a buddy that rebuilt his said otherwise. Yea they were worn not shot though. I called jackson center they showed me how to measure it. I did and they were well withing tolerance. Worn but not worn out. turned out my trailer was on a bit of a dip. so someaxles had more tension on them. Your trailer looks great. Enjoy it. I hope you have many fun times in it. Please post what your findings are I am intrested in how shot they really are. PS I think they look fine. If you look under the trailer the torsion bars are right behind the wheel that is in place of the springs. If you have downword stance you are fine. Kind of like baby crib caster. Swing by a dealer and they will also tell you they are very common My car hauler also has them.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Now, about those aliens in the picture. Are those flower children? My 76 Sovereign didn't come with anything like that. By the way, welcome to the Forum and you have a good looking trailer. Andy may be right, but frankly I can't tell because the hubs are as black at the tires. Calm down, the new axels might not cost as much as the new frig you want. They're certainly easier to install. Take it from someone who has taken out a frig and put a new one back.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I Andy told me mine were shot to. I was devistated until a buddy that rebuilt his said otherwise. Yea they were worn not shot though. I called jackson center they showed me how to measure it. I did and they were well withing tolerance. Worn but not worn out. turned out my trailer was on a bit of a dip. so someaxles had more tension on them.
Torsion axles "cannot" be rebuilt by an individual.

The shafts must be removed with a 50 ton puller, minimum. Then new rubber rods of the correct length and composition must be deformed and frozen with liquid Nitrogen, then very quickly reinstalled in the axle tube, along with the shaft.

I would seriously doubt that anyone would have the proper equipemnt to perform that operation, let alone have the correct knowledge as to what kind of rubber, it's composition, and it's correct length for a given weight rating.

Rebuilding leaf spring axles can be done by most anyone.

Henschen has not rebuilt axles in many years.

When the torsion arm is parallel to the chassis, the axles are shot.

Why is that said?

All torsion axles are weight sensitive. When you add a payload, the arms then, would go upward.

Therefore when the trailer hit bumps, it will bottom out.

That information is not an opinion, but 'facts" from Henschen engineers.

Additionally, depending on who you talk to at Airstream, you quite well will get different opinions.

Airstream, unfortunately as well as it's employees, engineers excepted, are not torsion axle experts.

In this case GKN Henschen, "is" the experts.

The article on how to check your Henschen axles out, comes from Henscnen, and does not contain any opinions, but simply plain ordinary everyday facts.

I think we could safely say the Henschen is not an Airstream expert, and by the same token, Airstream is not an expert on Henschen axles., and especially most all of those in customer service.

Opinions yes, facts, no.

Additionally, and this is fact, because of the incorrect composition of the rubber rods used on the 1974 and older models, those axles will "ALL" fail.

It's not a matter of what, it's just when.

Torsion axles can also be ruined by not using them.

We, and several Airstream dealers, have already replace many axles on 2006 models, because of non use. Just plain facts.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post

Your both wrong, thats one of those new bug zapper
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Andy the guy just bought a new trailer. He is excited. I cant help but to notice how many times you say the axles are shot. (The sky is falling) My case was false the axles werent shot but it consumed me for a day. That guy is sick over this. How do you know the ground was level? I cant help but to wonder. He got a nice trailer and is excited. The axles are worn I am sure but to make a blunt statement " shot " You just dont do that to people, My race trailer is an 06 my Airtsream is a 1971 there is little differance between the 2 and they have the same axle, How do you know he didnt have a full water tank and fridge ect? I can only wonder. I hope he takes it to a dealer has them look at it and then enjoys his trailer, Axles and all.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Unhappy

I certainly enjoy the creative thoughts on my pole... but I'm surprised no one recognized a typical exercise accoutrement - and with lights, you can exercise all night long:

Sorry for the panic replies --- just had a feeling that I should have gone through some more research before purchasing... I'm an engineer by training and should *know better*. But, what's done is done and I'll likely need to start figurin' if this is a job I can do (maybe with help from my dad, et. al) myself. In college I used to work on my drag car - but that was a long long time ago!

If I decide to have the work done - how far do you think it's safe to tow for service? How do I decide if it's safe to tow to my new storage spot about 50 miles north?

I knew the fridge wouldn't be something I could get into --.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Funkill take that thing to a good dealer they will check it for free I bet you might be surprised
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Andy the guy just bought a new trailer. He is excited. I cant help but to notice how many times you say the axles are shot. (The sky is falling) My case was false the axles werent shot but it consumed me for a day. That guy is sick over this. How do you know the ground was level? I cant help but to wonder. He got a nice trailer and is excited. The axles are worn I am sure but to make a blunt statement " shot " You just dont do that to people, My race trailer is an 06 my Airtsream is a 1971 there is little differance between the 2 and they have the same axle, How do you know he didnt have a full water tank and fridge ect? I can only wonder. I hope he takes it to a dealer has them look at it and then enjoys his trailer, Axles and all.

Yes, SHE is excited... Man - that bad bleach job and short cut (actually fried off) really doesn't really flatter me, huh?

Right though, I think I gagged when I read "shot". Excitement DONE. It lasted less than 24 hours..... no water in the tank, fairly level lot, don't know of a local dealer... sigh. Well, at least I've stopped worrying about impending Hurricane Fay. Cheers.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
just curious... are these axles shot too Andy? Do I need new Henchens that only you sell?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	65870
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote