Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Funkill,
Welcome and enjoy! We purchased our AS over a year ago and we probably did not educate ourselves as much as we should have. We did get lucky, however, but it seemed that each time I would research something on here, I went away scared to death. We did replace our axles ourselves and the job was not very difficult. There is a wealth of knowledge here and some great advice from folks who have been doing this a long time. Just take a deep breath, pour an adult beverage and enjoy! After all that is what Airstreaming is all about.

Take care and Congratulations on your new AS.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I might add that it is nice to take it out a few times before you start changing things. That way you have a better idea for what works and what doesnt. I have had alot of freinds buy old cars or trailers and tear them apart then they land up parts in the garage then on ebay. If you have memories and fun in it, you will have the drive to get it back on the road. Thats what works for me anyways. I never tear into anything the first year then I chart my course, also it save s alot of money. I still want to see more pictures (interior)
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Congrats on your find.
I too recently purchased a 73 and realized that the axles will need replacing.
So far I've gotten into some demo work for floor repair but that came to a halt when my wife gave me a list of things that in her opinion, had priority over our AS. She can't believe how aggressive I've been in getting things done just so I can work on our new acquisition. That gave me time to read as much of this forum as possible. (At night when all are sleeping) The more I read the more I find things that need to be checked and repaired. I get more excited by the day. I hope you stay as excited as I am to have stepped into the AS craze.
Good luck!!
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
What more important than Airstream? She new that perfect time to hand over the list.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Funkill, welcome to the group and congrats on your new Airstream! You were expecting to do some interior work....well, on a 35-year-old trailer, I guess you need to expect to do some exterior work, as well. You have come to the right place for advice and encouragement!

Cheers, another Airstream gal

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Hey Mustang,
Her list included stripping a desk for refinishing, painting our 30 ' hallway. recasing all doors in hallway(10), installing new base and crown moulding, laying pre-finished wood floor down in the playroom, painting , and installing new moulding in it as well, in that order. So far I'm ready to start on my crown in the hall. I'll finish the playroom then it's back to the AS. Can't wait!
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
hahahaah you go boy! They got us all figured out dont they
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
congrats!!

Congratulations!! You must be so excited. I know I was floating on air when we bought ours and brought it home.

Don't be daunted; she is yours now and anything that is not quite right can always be fixed. The whole forum will have your back and you'll be fine. Yippee!

wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
You did a heck of a job on your s to wannaroam did you replace your axles or just paint them and putum back on?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
What a nice looking rig! Your going to enjoy all the room in there!!!
We love our Overlander(s)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
mustang
Thank you!
We bit the bullet and put on new axles, new brakes. I want to really travel in it and know that we can go long distances and be safe and comfortable.

When we put in the finishing touches I will post some final pix.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Can you post pics of the inside??

Enuff about the axles.....
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
oh!! c mon we all ahve shot axles whats wrong with that? well maybe not wanna roam but he is not part of the shot axle club. we are a distingushed group.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I still haven't gotten down to Ophelia Overlander yet - but will be there this weekend. My dad stopped by to checkout the angle on the torsion arms but growth of grass underneath made visibility a bit tough.... lots of rain in the past week with TS Fay! Anyway, he was a bit surprised at what he did see - he is familiar with the horizontal type axles and didn't think they looked "right". He saw the shocks and said that everything underneath looked more like traditional axles.

Anyone have a pic of what the underside/axles should look like underneath a 73 overlander? I found lots of pics on the thread below --- can anyone point to the torsion arm for me and explain where (in reference to the torsion arm) the horizontal shock is mounted there too?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...e-21438-5.html
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I still haven't gotten down to Ophelia Overlander yet - but will be there this weekend. My dad stopped by to checkout the angle on the torsion arms but growth of grass underneath made visibility a bit tough.... lots of rain in the past week with TS Fay! Anyway, he was a bit surprised at what he did see - he is familiar with the horizontal type axles and didn't think they looked "right". He saw the shocks and said that everything underneath looked more like traditional axles.

Anyone have a pic of what the underside/axles should look like underneath a 73 overlander? I found lots of pics on the thread below --- can anyone point to the torsion arm for me and explain where (in reference to the torsion arm) the horizontal shock is mounted there too?
Look at the drawings near the middle of this article.

Dura Torque Axle

The torsion arm comes out of the square tube, then goes rearward. That's where you will find the brake assembly (backing plate).

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks Andy. I looked that sheet over previously and just couldn't "see" where the torsion arm was in reference to the axle and wheel.

But, I finally found this on your Inland RV site (by googling images for Henschen Axles) ... now this really shows me where the torsion arm is!!! And I found it really informative. I didn't initially notice this link on your site --- as "tour" is not intuitive --- I thought it would be pictures of the plant.

Making Henschen Axles Tour

Sooooo, my axles also have shocks. I'm assuming that's correct since I see pictures of others' axles and there's shocks on them too... looking at the drawing linked above, where do the OEM shocks go? And, why do you need additional shocks with the shock absorbing airstream axles? Thanks for helping me to understand this system!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Thanks Andy. I looked that sheet over previously and just couldn't "see" where the torsion arm was in reference to the axle and wheel.

But, I finally found this on your Inland RV site (by googling images for Henschen Axles) ... now this really shows me where the torsion arm is!!! And I found it really informative. I didn't initially notice this link on your site --- as "tour" is not intuitive --- I thought it would be pictures of the plant.

Making Henschen Axles Tour

Sooooo, my axles also have shocks. I'm assuming that's correct since I see pictures of others' axles and there's shocks on them too... looking at the drawing linked above, where do the OEM shocks go? And, why do you need additional shocks with the shock absorbing airstream axles? Thanks for helping me to understand this system!
For simplicity, the shock brackets are not shown.

The shocks are attached to the rear of the torsion arm, and then to the chassis.

Torsion axles do provide "shock absorbing."

Shock absorbers, provide addition shock protection.

The best ride for the trailer is when you have both.

Andy
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
thanks loads Andy. Will check 'er out this weekend!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
replace tag axle on 345?

This is probably a question for Andy. I have a 1988 345. the tag wheels splay out at the bottom and in at the top by about an inch or so, maybe as much as 2. This leads me to believe the axle is shot and needs to be replaced. Any info wuld be appreciated including the price of the axle.
wpapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #60
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapke View Post
This is probably a question for Andy. I have a 1988 345. the tag wheels splay out at the bottom and in at the top by about an inch or so, maybe as much as 2. This leads me to believe the axle is shot and needs to be replaced. Any info wuld be appreciated including the price of the axle.
The answers are lengthy, with some if's, and's, and buts.

Please call me tomorrow and I will explain them to you.

800-8777311.

Anyd