Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Found Her! 1977 Silver Streak Continental Supreme

Well, I trusted the fates (along with tons of research and lots of very good advice) and found my coach -- just $500 more than I wanted to spend, and definitely worth it. Many, many more photos to follow.

Before going any further, I have some thank yous -- brunooffrance, Mrs. Mod, reinergirl, TouringDan, Aage -- you were friendly, encouraging and honest. But the real heroes are wlj1943 & Rednax who wrote/spoke with me at length while I made my deliberations. Without them I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to move quickly when the right SS listed on Craigslist. To two incredibly thorough and kind counselors: thank you!

I find myself on vacation in CA with a great view and a nasty twisted ankle. It's a good thing I've got this big fat original owner's manual to read...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	154375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745-3.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	154376  

Name:	IMG_0744-1.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	154377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0762.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	154378  

CarrieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I was pleased that this unit versus another one considered was the choice.

1977 Silver Streaks had a problem with the gold anodizing supplier so it is common to see this single year without the "look". A 28' SS is the measure of all others of this brand: layout, sales numbers, etc. Hard to ever go wrong as size is great and weight capacities the same as the larger models (the trailer just sort of grew going forward, from kitchen back is identical). A trailer with really great weight balance.

Here's to hoping that there are no serious problems encountered, and as I wrote, an original condition trailer is always the right candidate for a restoration/renovation. An SS doesn't have the same range of problems as an A/S after 20-years, but there are no guarantees as to owner maintenance. Good to see the pics above (post them all), and look forward to how things progress. ETN550 and a few others already have some good work to see around here.

And you're most welcome. This is a great place with lot's of depth. What goes around . . , etc.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Awesome!!!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Congrats! I'm so excited for you! We're in California, but like to travel to Oregon. In fact we're headed to Oregon on Saturday with the Mod Pod. Maybe we'll see you on the road someday!

Let's see some interior pics!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Thanks, guys, I am pretty excited! I have a question before I dive into the wreck... I'd like to start a blog/new thread to chart my project here -- there's a great way to do this by year and model for AS's, but not for vintage kin. Does it make the most sense to just start the thread in the vintage kin section? It won't exactly be a blog that way, but it doesn't seem like that makes much of a difference in terms of how this site is used. Any feedback on this would be appreciated!

Now we just have to christen her...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can continue this thread as a blog and that works fine.

Congratulations. The Silver Streaks are great trailers. Interior photos?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A Texas schoolteacher and her 1973 Silver Streak.

Can't beat cork floors.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Had hope to stumble into a SS,,,

As my search for a A/S went along I always kept an eye out for SS.. I live in the mid west and they seem to be as rare as hen teeth around this part..

Welcome and good luck with your find.. Anything has to be better than giving up and just joining the masses with a SOB (stick and staple wonder)..

Sodbust NW Kansas
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Whooo Hoooo! Congrats on your new aquisition and for "doing it the right way" ! She's beautiful and I can't wait to see more pictures..... hint hint
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
As my search for a A/S went along I always kept an eye out for SS.. I live in the mid west and they seem to be as rare as hen teeth around this part..
All of them (only a few hundred per year) were built in Los Angeles, but Texas may have been the biggest market judging by current sales. Surrounding states also have a good number, so "the Midwest" isn't so far away. And, as there won't be any shell separation or frame problems (nor axle replacement) your travel expenses are quite literally free.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Always have been an admirer of Sliver Streak. Can't wait to see what you've got planned. Rig looks beautiful even at this stage! Good Luck!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
What a great looking trailer - I can't wait to see what you do with her! Hope your ankle heals up quickly and the rain slows down around here a bit so you can get started on it soon. Happy camping!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Silver Streak on Consignment (New Mexico)

There is a Silver Streak which has been on consignment at the local RV Shop since last fall. I don't have any other information, but will inquire is someone is interested. Because of a missing 'security token', I can't upload the photo, but here is a link to their consignment page.

Philip

Used-RV-s-For-Sale
Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I know I owe pics but a) I'm still on crutches and b) I haven't had the trailer delivered yet. Hoping for early next week.

In the meantime, I posted the following a few days ago at the end of a very good but outdated thread regarding heating systems: Heaters, heaters, heaters, to no avail. So I'll try here!

I have a '77 Silver Streak with a functioning but sketchy original furnace, and rather than replacing it with a Suburban (or another brand that will work with my existing vents), I am really wanting to go the Dickinson/Newport route. Not much difference in terms of price, a captivating design, and clearly a really well made product. C'mon, seriously cool.

My concern about it being sufficient comes from the manner in which I'll be using my coach: I work an hour's drive away from my house, so on weekdays I'll live in my SS, which will have full hookups in a park near my work, and I'll spend the weekends up at my house. Silverton and Portland (my respective locations) don't get too dang cold, but there are stretches where the nights stay in the 20s-30s. Below the 20s is rare. So: would the Dickinson/Newport, and a little Pelonis ceramic heater for good measure, be enough to keep the pipes from freezing up? Especially on the weekends, if I leave my cabinets open, faucets a dripping, can I leave the D/N running on low? Is that safe? Would I be better off supplementing w/ an electric oil radiator to run over the weekends? Is there another supplementary heating option that I can safely run during the weekends just for the sake of my pipes? Last question: those pipes are in good shape, but they're copper, so how much of a difference would redoing them in PEX help to offset this potential problem?

Or should I just replace the vented system and keep the thermostat at a reasonable temperature when I'm gone? Not the answer I want to hear... but one I'm prepared to.

I have read about adding a skirt, or leaving a light bulb plugged in under the trailer... I don't really like either of those as additional insulating options. I will definitely wrap my exterior hoses, and I plan to use the Sewer Solution, but keep the black tank closed and dump as needed. Any other weatherizing suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you kindly,

CarrieSue

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foot.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	155149  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Nice chair! Is that a Mulhauser MR Chair from Plycraft?

Mine, sadly with no ottoman...

[/hijack]
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
It's a Plycraft, but not a Mr. Chair. I believe Mulhauser also designed this model, which was trying to copy the Eames chair pretty directly -- there are some differences in proportion and in the armrests, and in the quality of the leather, although mine has aged pretty well.

My dad bought this chair new in 1976 (it's still got the Plycraft label on the bottom), and he finally gave it to me a few years ago. It's a year older than my Silver Streak, and two years older than me --

I also have the Thonet rocker I was lulled to sleep in as a baby, and that I lulled my daughter to sleep in many moons later. In that case, my dad sprung for the original.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
P.S. That is a seriously sweet chair, Erik!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One is always "correct" in replacing any appliance 15-years old or older. They've served their time, no matter how much used.

On TT appliances it really, truly is better to stick with original type. Don't know the budget, but "projects" can grow out of hand, plus

The original furnace ducting also helps heat the fresh, black and grey tanks. Without that ducting they're more likely to be affected by freezing temps.

And keeping the TT warm from end-to-end is the strong suit of the type of furnace we have aboard.

My current TT has a brand-new one. Great to crank it up when I wanted to keep things warm. And then down a ways at night.

TT's of the age of ours -- yours and mine -- tend to have more air infiltration than a new one; doors, windows, etc. Thus, a heater like the one linked is not going to be able to keep up . . it'll be roasting in the lounge and cold in the bathroom.

Be sure to inspect ducting all the way from furnace to outlets. The quality used originally was high. But that doesn't mean some poor repair to, say, the water pump, didn't also cause some damage.

If any needs to be replaced, note any "vent holes" along the way; where they are located and how "clocked". SS had a supplier that made these (I'd guess) ready to use according to blueprint. If it needs to be replaced, then one of the aircraft supply houses would have it (fire rating, etc).

Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Unless you have a heated water hose, disconnect it when the temp goes below freezing (actually 29˚ or so is ok when just in the early am).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Interior Pics: First Installment!

Today was a good day -- our Silver Streak was finally delivered. The weather also happened to be very beautiful, so I was able to open up all of the windows and get the requisite washing up started.

We are calling her Elektra.

While in general the trailer has been very well maintained, it hadn't been camped in for over a year, so there were some yellow jackets starting to nest up in one of the ceiling vents, and everything needs a good scrubbing.

The PO had a real (and understandable) penchant for keeping things original, but even he admitted that there are some things that could really benefit from being upgraded or replaced. My challenge will be deciding which things to keep exactly how they are and which to change. While the late 70s isn't my favorite design moment, I do plan to embrace the character of that look, but without getting too cheesy and without being too uptight about authenticity.

It was such fun to start the washing and polishing (just finishing with a rub of WD40 on the anodized surface for now, wow it sure makes a difference). My daughter and I put on some tunes and started from opposite ends of the trailer. Knowing not every step of this project will be as smooth as today's was made it all the sweeter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	155915   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	155916  

Name:	7.JPG