Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

homosassa , Florida
Talking first timers with dogs

we are currently looking into airstreams. we have 2 small dogs and one large one and my wife and I. we really like the 22ft interstate. does it include a generator, is it a good place to start. we are planniing on doing this full time. Is this too small for us . are we better off pulling a trailer or 5th wheel???we are looking for good deals but are willing to go into the 80 to 100,000k price range..
pops1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. Were glad to have you with us.

None of the Airstream Travel Trailer come with or have an on-board place for a generator. Those amongst us who have generators, ususally carry them in our tow vehicles and put them on the ground for use.

The smallest Airstream that would be suitable for full timing would probably be the 25' Front bedroom, and the 27' FB would probably be better, especially considering your pet headcount.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I concur. The 27 would probably be better for you. I don't like 5th wheel sob's (some other brands) for one reason...way too much frontal area in the wind and way too high. They call'em airstreams for a reason. Very aerodynamic. They are worth every penny you invest in them. However, shop around. Prices vary from dealer to dealer and can be worth a cross country trip or so to save the $$...just my opinion.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Welcome aboard....As someone who has lived fulltime in his Airstream since 96 I'll throw in my 2cents. I looked for almost a year for the right coach for me when I decided to live fulltime and what I came up with was a 34' L-Lounge with a center bath and rear bedroom. The minute I walked into the unit I knew this was the right one and bought it right then. I have never had any regrets with my decision. Look at the new units and also do not discount the previous owed coaches that are out there. I personally feel that there is much more quality in the older coaches starting in the early 80's after Thor bought Airstream. They finally got the quality back in that Beatrice had sacrificed in the late 70's...i.e. the lighter frames and the sagging rear bath units. I currently have 2 dogs and have had as many as four, from German Shepards to Corgi's. When you find the right Airstream for you, You'll know by the emotional reaction you have to it. Good luck.
rceptex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

Ahhh.. now you've done it!!

No turning back now...

Here's a good place to start.

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " Airstream New Inventory Updated Daily

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi pops!

YES the interstate can be had with an onboard genset...

but that is REALLY a tight space for full time travel/living...

i know the 20+ mpg sprinter diesel is attractive,

but it's a really small moho.

IF you got2have an a/s moho, look for something in the 28 foot range as a minimum.

a trailer/tv combo is another route 2 consider, again 25ft or more and a suitable mule.

IF you have no experience with the rv lifestyle it might be useful to RENT a classs C moho for a week or 2...

take a nice trip and get a better feel for 'space needs' with 3 pooches...

and the truth is the class C boxes offer more space and utility for much less $$ than any 'stream....

but they aren't as cute!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
What do yo have for a tow vehicle? That will also detirmine what lenght and weight of trailer your looking at. For your price range it is quite feasible to buy a good used unit and still upgrade TV. I own a 24 foot model and it serves us well for short periods of time (my wife, daughter 2 little dogs and I). It pulls easy, I don't even use an equalizer hitch. If we were full timing, I'd buy at least a 31 footer longer if I could upgrade vehicles as well since I drive a half ton truck. For anything longer I would use an equalizer hitch. Pulling around local area with no hills is no problem but the challange comes driving through Tenn. or out west, you don't want to burn out a transmission. I've heard it said,"Buy the biggest Airstream you can handle because you're gonna like it and want a bigger one soon afterwards anyways". I think it's true becasue I want at least a 31 footer in addition to our 24 footer.