Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Philomath , OR
first time shopping for new outriggers...

A quick word about myself. My wife and I have lived for several years in a tiny house that I built myself on a flat bed trailer. I'm currently working on my Argosy with the intentions of having a much more mobile home. Needless to say, it's my first vintage trailer restoration and my first time posting on this forum. Thanks for having me!

Anyway, I currently have the shell removed from the chassis and am seeing that about 8 outriggers look like they need to be replaced due to being rusted through, pitted and brittle. I've been browsing both Inland RV and Out-of-Doors Mart. I'm a bit confused about what exactly to order. The original outriggers are approximately 15'' long and 5'' tall at their largest points. The end tapered ones are approximately 11'' long and 5'' tall. They are all solid. I'm nervous about buying what I think I need online and spending $300-$400 only to get the wrong parts. I can't seem to get hold of Out-of-Doors Mart using the e-mail provided on the Web site and Inland RV doesn't seem to be very helpful or responsive. I'd love to be able to go look at them in person before buying. Anyone know of a store in the Willamette Valley that has outriggers that I can go look at? If not, anyone know what exactly I should be ordering or how to get in touch with someone that does (i.e. Collin)? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've attached photos of what I want to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	811.1 KB
ID:	397689  
haaseome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Try Sky High RV Parts. They have several shapes. Or, give Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations a call. Lastly, you can make your own out of metal building purlins that are the same gauge. We did on the 55. Whatever you end up getting, place a small piece of metal on the end of the outrigger so it doesn’t punch the banana wrap in the future. Good luck.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We used Out of Doors Mart to buy our outriggers. Their webpage has a nifty diagram of an Airstream frame and you click on the location of the outrigger you want to replace. As you pointed out, there are "shorties" for the front and rear of the trailer, there are left side and right side outriggers both forward and rearward of the wheel wells, and there are folding step outriggers. We ended up replacing 9 outriggers on my friend's Sovereign project.

I've used High Sky for some items too. They have a big inventory of vintage Airstream parts.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
I have had them made at my local sheet metal shop. Cut 1 off and bring it in and see what they say, I find they often enjoy the odd ball projects. 14 ga. steel I think is what you want. I have also had "step" outriggers made but that will be more expensive as they will want to do a CAD setup to make the cuts.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Philomath , OR
Good to know. Thanks for the responses. I found a good welder nearby who does airstream renovations and works with a local metal shop that makes the outriggers for him. Waiting to hear back from him to see if he'll help me sort it out.
haaseome is offline   Reply With Quote