Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
halcottsville , New York
first time looking for globetrotter

Hi all, my name is Mark My family and I are taking a three month road trip, we are looking for a pacer, or under 20 ft travel traler, my budget is 11,000
please visit my web site,Welcome to Pilato Studios
pilato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello pilato. Welcome to the Forums!

What you are asking would require a significant dedication of personal and private research on your part -- if it is attainable at all. By this I mean a unit with worthy running gear, wheels, tires and floor. Pre-1974 wouldn't have a gray tank. And $11K is below the current street value of a usable Airstream of this length and vintage.

Sub-20' Airstreams have been in high demand for a long time. A Pacer? 13 panel or 1950 Airstreams are very strongly sought after -- and tend to be huge gluttons for significant restoration dollars. I'd suspect you're looking at $30-40K or more if you pay somebody like GSM Vehicles to make an as-found unit usable -- the better part of buying new. Whether doing it yourself or paying to have it done, you could be looking at as much as 12-24 months of serious dedicated attention.

I'd suggest getting to one of our member-sponsored rallies if you want to sound out knowledgeable and actual users about what it takes.

What questions can we answer for you?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Welcome! We don't know what kind of research you've done and what your reasons may be for trying to find a small, older trailer. ConoeStream speaks the truth...older and smaller equals bigger dollars, they are a sort of collector's item. Longer Airstreams are in slightly less demand. Many people, including Mr RedSHED and I, thought that a smaller one would be so much easier to pull and park, but I have to tell you, we ended up with a 31 footer and it is LOTS easier to pull than our previous 21 foot SOB. We get better gas mileage, too. We also don't know about your camping experience but 20 feet or less for more than one or two people for more than a week is going to get pretty tight, IMO. Not that you need a 31 footer, maybe you do, maybe you don't. We've not had any problems finding a spot to camp. That may or may not depend on what part of the country in which you wish to travel. I don't know if it really would be an issue out west or not, we've not headed there, yet. Other forums members will have more info that that subject, should you want it.