Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2024, 12:21 PM   #1

2024 16' Caravel
Rochester , Minnesota
First time Airstreamer from MN

Just bought our Caravel 16RB yesterday, will take delivery in May ... We have been camping in a Starcraft popup for 20+ yrs, but the kids are now mostly grown and it's time to get out of the popup era ... lots and lots of research and visits to the dealer and settled on the 16 as the perfect answer.

For now ... figuring out the best way to sell that 20yr old popup (fb marketplace, rvtrader, ???). and researching every space savings tip I can find, including the closet modifications which I feel are kinda crazy that airstream doesn't just sell that closet with shelves in the first place.

Looking forward to the summer of 24 and our next step of adventures in our new airstream!

LN in MN
LNinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings and welcome from snowy Colorado, formally from Minnesota. We moved to Colorado as both of our sons live here in the Denver area. I do miss Minnesota and all 4 seasons there. We don't really have a spring season here. But the mountains are quite scenic.

We have been Airstreamers since 2005 when we inherited our 1986 Limited 34'. My wife's folks purchased it new and lived in Battle Lake, MN. I caught "aluminum-its" and purchased a vintage 1966 Trade Wind 24' and renovated the thing into a comfortable travel trailer. When it was done, I got bored and sold the Trade Wind and purchased a 1975 Overlander 27' and renovated that one too. Then I purchased my son's 1969 Globetrotter 21' during the pandemic. He needed it gone and we were happy to help him out. So I renovated the thing and I think it is a pretty nice "weekender" for exploring the rockies. Such fun.

You're going to enjoy your new Airstream, and yes you can put shelves in the closet. And I think you will find these Forums very helpful and informative. I've learned a lot about vintage Airstreams right here, as well as follow the newer models.

Here we are on our way to Olympia National Park last fall. It was a great Airstream adventure. Airstream travel travel trailers last a very long time, kinda like me.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2309 Baker City Oregon-800x600.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	440785  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:51 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Post some pictures of your Caravel when you take delivery. May you make many more memories as you travel with her!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:59 AM   #4
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Congratulations on the new adventure!

Warm welcome from New Hampshire, we're glad to have you with us. It'll sure be different moving from the old digs into the new Caravel.

Safe Travels!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:35 AM   #5

2024 16' Caravel
Rochester , Minnesota
National Parks are on our list of destinations!! We took our popup to the badlands years ago, but since then itís been lodges and airbnbs for those trips Ö. For our first summer we are sticking to state parks and corp of engineers parks. Might even sneak in something with full hookups just to try it out. Hubby and I are both still working full timeÖ so that will put a damper on the number of times we get out

LNinMN
LNinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums and Airstreaming! MN Airstream Club is active and would love to have you visit at a rally! You can find us and our activities on the MN Airstream Club website. We have working folk as well as retired folk at our rallies. Hope to see you there!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Me again: I thought I would mention the Airstream Park in Clearwater, MN. It is a beautiful savana with big oaks and maples as well as nice gardens. Most sites are owned by Airstreamers who spend many summer days there. They do have sites for rent with full hookups. Here is a photo of our visit there.

So much fun to be had owning an Airstream.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2236 (Small).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	440793  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
LN, thanks for sharing your story. You will love the Airstream especially when you go on long trips. We had a StarCraft tent trailer for 17 years. Our daughters grew up in it and both have tent trailers now. As we neared retirement, traveling in the early spring and late fall made the tent trailer a problem. After the StarCraft we purchased a hybrid because we liked the canvas. Well, traveling and putting it up and then down took the shine off of that idea quickly. You are going to love the Airstream. Full hookups are nice. You will learn how to manage your black and gray tanks soon enough. Have fun.

P.S. after about 12 years after selling our StarCraft my youngest daughter asked me to start looking for used trailers. I did, and during the dead of winter I found one. It was the very same one we had all those years. I got if for a song, then put some money it in to fix things and replaced the canvas. So, our old tent trailer is in the family again. She and her family love it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Welcome from Minnesota!

We had a now dearly departed 2021 16' Bambi, our first trailer, which we loved. In retrospect if we could have gotten a Caravel at the time, we might still have it*. The Caravel is well worth the upgrade (especially the ducted A/C).

I'm sure with the popup you know where all the good spots are in Minnesota, but we're always glad to compare notes. Owning an Airstream really expanded our horizons, especially from tent camping and we took our Bambi on a lot of long trips. As you indicated, over a week or long weekend, the Black Hills and Bighorn Mountains are within striking distance for us non-retirees as well.

With the closet, if it's the same as the Bambi, we used expandable shelves with rubber friction knobs at the end (no holes required). I'm not the interior person (infrastructure mostly) and can find out which ones we got if you're interested.

Thinking of other advice, with our Bambi we quickly found out that the solar panel and AGM batteries are good for a weekend unplugged, but for longer excursions especially with the electric refrigerator batteries become an issue. You can see how you use it, but I converted our Bambi to lithium and it makes life a lot easier.

Last, when we sold our Bambi, we originally listed it on Airstream sites, but in the end the buyer contacted us from the Craigslist ad I ended up posting, so don't discount the cheap or free sites. Watch out for scammers too, they like trailers.

*Well, our Newfoundland took over the floor space, so we got a 25', the "forever camper" (for now).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Do yourself a favor and visit the Minnesota Airstream park. Several years ago my wife and I bought our first Airstream. As part of the sale we were given a free night at the park. After our first visit we ended up buying a lot up there. While enjoying our time up there we discovered a lot about our trailer as well as places to go. The park is filled with people that are passionate about Airstreams. The knowledge they shared was priceless. After six years we sold our lot and moved on. We made many friends up there and discovered so much about camping with our trailer. Even if you only visit the park and never buy in I think itís a great place to start to get comfortable and familiar with your trailer

Happy Camping

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote