Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , BC
First time Airstreamer

Hello,

I can't thank everyone out there enough for the great information on these forums. My hubby and I just got our first airstream..I wanted one for as long as I can remember. We lived on our 28' Crown Sailboat for 2 1/2 years and have traded our yacht for a LandYacht. We now have a 1979 31' Sovereign and can't believe the amount of space it has. Our little baby boy loves to crawl the whole length of it. We have no plans to take her on the road yet as we have some updating to do to the interior and she will be our home away from home on Vancouver Island. Has anyone else out there traded their sea travels for land travels?
betsy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Betsy, and congrats on your Sovereign! What kind of updates are you planning for it? We'd love to see some pictures.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , BC
Wow, a reply already..this could get pretty addictive. I am a furniture maker so the cabinets are calling for some real wood. We have a big fridge (big for me, I am coming from a boat with an icebox the size of a loaf of bread!) so I would like to put a smaller bar fridge in and then take out the cabinet (originally for a microwave) beside the fridge and make a cabinet same height as the fridge with countertop over it. I love to bake so a spot for rolling out pastry is pretty important! The floor is cork and a bit worn so I found somthing called Fiberfloor from Tarkett that it neat looking and isn't glued down. I could go on but pictures will likely tell better tales so I will post some once we get started. Mostly I just love to sit in the Airstream and smile right now.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2
Mostly I just love to sit in the Airstream and smile right now.
Don't worry - you're not the only one who does this!

Your plans sound great - can't wait to see.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Smile'n

Came back in six hours ago and I'm still grin'n!!

Welcome to the obesssion>>Youv'e come to the right Place.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Welcome betsy2 to the forums - you will find allot of us sitting in and around our Airstreams smiling.

Post some pictures, look in the archives for info on your model, lots of good information and help online here.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , BC
Thanks everyone..I feel very welcome!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! You're gonna love it here...lots of good people, good info and good experience in rennovating... And lots of that sittin' the Aristream and smilin' thing, too. Sometimes when we aren't able to get out on the road when we'd like to, we make ourselves feel better by going out and sitting in it for an evening, watch some TV or a movie...take the dogs and everything... We've even been known to sleep in it in the driveway!

Again, welcome to the life!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! You will find the folks here very accommodating! We didn't "trade" our sailboat for our airstream... first of all we retired and got rid of the "toys" (sailboat and airplane...) once settled in we unloaded our SOB for our sweet Bambi. We loved sailing, but age and stamina affected what we could do and where we could go. Never had the opportunity to sail far away, but went from Monterey, California to San Francisco and stayed in the Bay all summer one year. (We had a 30 foot Ericson)

You will find your sailing skills and understanding of living simply a seemless transition to living in your Airstream. My only wish is that Airstream would put fiddles on the counters and in the cupboards!

Welcome aboard, you will like it here!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , BC
I never really felt nervous about going out in the big water sailing but I feel really nervous driving anywhere with the Airstream..so many things to run into! Thankfully nothing yet! On another note, every time I see the red smiley icon I laugh because it looks like my little boy when he is hungry! Anyhow, must go and sit in our new home and smile some more.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Welcome to the Airforums! You're gonna love it here...lots of good people, good info and good experience in rennovating... And lots of that sittin' the Aristream and smilin' thing, too. Sometimes when we aren't able to get out on the road when we'd like to, we make ourselves feel better by going out and sitting in it for an evening, watch some TV or a movie...take the dogs and everything... We've even been known to sleep in it in the driveway! TB
And in the back yard playing cards &/or board games... sometimes, just sittin' out back lookin' & admirin' that gorgeous hunk of aluminum sitting out there just waitin' to please. Thing is, the longer you have her, the more people just begin to simply not understand the change - your enlightenment.

OK... maybe a little heavy just startin' out. Anyway, welcome to the forums and Airstream life!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote