Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Some random/off the wall thoughts on the 'mouse fur' lined walls versus the aluminum interiors, and another wall covering (based on a little experience with all).

Our 2005 Bambi has the fur lined walls:

-They are a real challenge to keep clean. Virtually anything spilled or splattered on the fur, while not immediately apparent, seems to eventually yield a brooding, monotone, masterpiece of abstract art at a later date. I'm still waiting for the face of Elvis, or your deity of choice, to appear.
-The acoustic and insulation qualities are significant.
-If you get the 'aluminum dust', do not use a vacuum. Airstream recommended this, and it just made it worse. Don't ask how I know this.
-I haven't noticed the mouse fur absorbing any smells, cooking or otherwise. And , my lovely wife does a lot of cooking in there.
-The fur lining may ultimately start to separate (as in... fall off) from the interior skin. Mine has, and I'm not looking forward to resolving this issue.

Our 1968 Trade Wind has, what appears to be, a vinyl based wall covering:

-It is fantastic to clean, and looks pretty good.
-It provides only minimal acoustic and insulation properties.
-It has held up extremely well over its 41 years of existence.

We have spent several days/nights in a friend's 2005 Safari ( the perfect guest house) with the aluminum skin interior:

-The aluminum skin looks great, and cleans up real good with just an occasional wipe down.
-The acoustics in our fur lined Bambi are significantly better.
-Some kinds of lighting sources can be a little harsh/cold.
-When it's cold outside, and you roll over, and your butt hits that unlined interior, you will get a rude wake up call.

Other thoughts:
-I would really prefer the panoramic windows.
-I have had absolutely no desire to trade up from the 19' to a larger trailer. It's just the two of us, and we're very close.

Hope this helps a little.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
What you buy is usually a well-thought-out compromise of what you want, what you need, and what fits your budget...and it sounds that you are working your way through that steadily with deliberation, and you are wise to gather opinions. You'll get there...

Others may make a different decision for a variety of reasons, but your decision will be the right one for you. Your circumstances might change later and you may decide to go larger eventually ... there's nothing wrong with that. We've always known that is a possibility for us...but we made the right decision for us given our current situation and we are very happy with it.

Our choice for a small unit was a conscious one, and so were the model and features. For us aesthetics are as important as practicality, and both are matters of perspective...it depends on who you're talking to. We happen to love the aesthetics of the aluminum interior. We like the way the light plays on it night and day... We have never regretted having a pano window...it allows a great view. Others may prefer the cloth interior and smaller windows and that's OK for them...we have lived with a cloth interior and will not do that again. And even though it may be a bit warmer and may block noise a bit better...we have never been too cold or much aware of outside noise to be less than comfortable. We kinda like the sound of rain on our rooftop.

So go for it ... gather the information and opinions you need to make the right decision for you ... then get out there and enjoy your Airstream! Chances are you won't regret it.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
_

. , .
i see NO POSTs wherein some1 else is deciding what is RIGHT for the o.p.

or trying to alter their values regarding esthetics.

and the current debate on what is pretty is a sidetrack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
...what are the mechanical advantages/drawbacks of the panoramic windows...

...Weight, strength, insulating properties, maintenance?

...One AS owner told me I should not consider the carpeted interior...

...Any thoughts on the carpeted vs. aluminum interior?

...I don't take any pets with me, I don't smoke and I don't fry fish every evening, so is this that much of a drawback?

...Are there any advantages in weight, durability and ease of tank access in having the metal case over the plastic one,

other than purely aesthetic considerations?

...Can these tanks be eventually replaced with the larger tanks found on the Bambi, if needed,

...and will the larger tanks fit inside the standard plastic box on the Sport?

...Is it possible to add a battery, if necessary, at some point in the future?

...any thoughts (pro or con) on the advantages of larger tanks and more battery capacity?

...are any of the other mechanical systems, insulating properties, components or materials used...
and so on.

so it APPEARs the questions ALL relate to function or structure, mechanical systems or LOAD issues.

and payload is NOT a subjective parameter based on perspective.

payload/carry capacity is a number/value established by a/s and LISTED on each unit.
________

so while it's fine to debate what is pretty or pleasing to the 1 eye or another...

THAT isn't the focus of ANY of the o.p.'s questions.

the questions are about SPECIFICS related to mass, strength, R factor, care, UPgrades (more weight) and so on...

CARPET is commonly used on the FLOORs of some models, not the walls.

so it seemed USEFUL to cover the distinction between carpet and mouse fur.

and BOONDOCKING...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
...for several weeks/months at a time...in remote un-improved sites, state or national parks or anywhere I can set up...
means dealing with issues like WATER, perhaps adding solar, and carrying adequate provisions...

it's NOT the size/length of either a 17 or 19 or aesthetics that's at issue...

it is the quotations above that appear to be the focus.

and perhaps, IF the truck/trailer will be capable of HAULING more than a hiker with a back pack.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sergio, have you been to dealers to look at them, or have you been looking at them on Airstream's website? We found it was best to spend a lot of time looking through various trailers, even ones we didn't think we'd want to buy. Try out the bed and the toilet to see if you fit. Consider where you are going to put the photo equipment (and food, clothes, stuff). If you are going to boondock for a long period, you may need to bring gallons of water (or beer or something) from the supermarket to supplement the water supply.

Some people do fine with a smaller trailer, some need 34' and sometimes their recommendations will reflect what they want. My wife and I pretty quickly agreed on what size we were most interested in and that fit our needs, but we kept looking at other sizes to make sure we were right—and then we had to decide on trim lines. That was pretty easy since we wanted to aluminum interior, but that's not for everyone. We don't have noise issues with it, light on the aluminum is interesting and cool, some interior light were harsh, so we changed them. With our bed location, we can't make butt-wall contact, so that's not a problem.

Keep weighing all the requirements and eventually you'll figure it out.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote