Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Comanche , Texas
First Post -Random Thoughts

Bought a 1980 31' last fall. Parked it in a barn out of the Texas weather in order to baseline all the systems. A little maintenance work is underway in sort of an installment program. Wife and I are retired but not quite used up. Rebuilt the water pump which was leaking and I am planning to install a hot water heater bypass when I go back in with the pump. Need to fix a few leak caused minor issues. My main concerns are the axles and how to best check the viability of the torsion springs. My intuition votes that they need replacing but how can you tell for sure. Any ideas would be appreciated. Previous owner towed with a Dodge 3/4 ton heavy duty PU and popped a few rivets inside and shook up stuff pretty good. I have an F-350 Heavy duty dually with a Utility Flat Bed which will be even rougher unless it has a few thousand pounds of cargo. Lots of good info on this forum but a little tricky to navigate. Another good source of info for me has been the West Marine Catalog. Amazing book, sort of an upscale Grangers's Catalog which is also quite informative. Not pluggng products but I am pugging the info. Ultimate goal is to haul the trailer to Colorado Crested Butte /Taylor river area to use as a base for fishing. By the way, I have found both the dealer in Dublin TX, and and the dealer in Weatherford TX very helpful.
Thanks
Pecan
Texas
Pecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Pecan,
Welcome to the forums.
I would suggest a search under axles or axle replacement, you'll surely get some good info. There is a lot of info here that is sometimes hard to dig out, keep at it. In the meantime, someone else may answer your question for you.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Popped rivets is good evidence that the axles are worn. Another is they are 27 years old. They are not difficult to replace. As to the plumbing you may consider replacing the copper with pex. Lot's of guidence thru the different Search categories. If you can't find an answer.....ask. Someone here will have done what you need to know about. Welcome.
Oh, post pictures. WE LOVE pictures.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! I concur, replace the axles! But before you go to the expense, be sure you perform a thorough check of all systems and such. Make a list of safety items, potential damage (leaks, etc.) items to repair, and upgrade items... give yourself a little time to be sure all is in good working order. The axles are a safety item in my book!

Yes, post pictures! WE love 'em!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. I'm sure that you'll get the info here to get her up and going.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Comanche , Texas
Reply to Welcome Messages

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I am slowly working though the systems and I think I know how to gather more info on the axles by lifting the trailer to see if there is movement of the wheels in the axles. Will perform this check and advise results.
Pecan
Pecan is offline   Reply With Quote