Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Roanoke , Virginia
First Post

Bought an '71 Airstream mid 2007 -- 25 foot Land Yacht with double beds. Had it in the campground twice last fall, but now am doing some repair work. The PO had not found a leak in the shut off valve feeding the toilet, so I get to replace the toilet's plywood base that sets on the black tank. And, of course, there is plywood where the bathroom floor meets the rear wall that needs attention. The bathroom is stripped, except for the shower pan. I've been waiting for suitable weather to get under the unit for cuting the access hole for the shower drain, hopefully in the next week or so.

As I fully expected, the Univolt does not work. My forum searches for information have come up empty, so I am hoping someone might have a schematic for a Univolt Model 35, S/N 9425. This unit does not have filter capacitors; there is a three transistor circuit that apparently tells the SCR when to fire. The full wave rectifier has had a mechanical failure, and I can't determine a replacement without the schematic. I do intend to replace it with a better power supply, but I just like to fix things if I can.

I appreciate any help (and all encouragement).

Phil
Phil Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Phil, Don't waste time or $$ on the old Univolt. Replace it with something modern like the Intellipower converters. Not only are they much more efficient, super quiet, and they weigh less than 5 lbs. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Good luck with that project. A rotten floor and having the throne pulled out means you will be home a bit. Welcome to the forums and I hope you get it put back together soon.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Roanoke , Virginia
Darol, if I can get parts to fix the Univolt, it will be used as a battery charger in my shop. It should be a cheap fix, if I can get a schematic. I plan to get a new power supply for the AS.

eloson, thanks for the good wishes. I also hope it will be done soon. The biggest problem is that it is about two and one-half hours away, but I'll be there this weekend.

Phil
Phil Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote