Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
First AS: 2019 FC 28RBT (Hill Country TX)

Hello y'all,

Just signed docs for our brand new 2019 28-ft Airstream yesterday! We're very excited and can't wait to go camping. We've owned an SOB of similar size before (25ft, 27.x' overall length, 7650 lbs gross weight) and so far the AS seems like a huge upgrade No trouble with the walk-through, perhaps it's too early to comment on 'quality' but it looked fine to me. (Dealer must have swept up the sawdust, LOL!)

Better in AS
- Thoughtful use of space, storage cubbies everywhere
- Spotlights in bedroom
- Rugged window hardware
- Fit & finish

The same: AS vs SOB
- Appliances

Needs improvement in AS
- Lack of large storage areas, SOBs tend to have huge pass-through cavities in the belly. Where to put lawn chairs? Will figure out something.

History:

We moved to TX about 1.5y ago and sold our SOB rather than hauling it over. We're dying to go camping and explore our new home but the weather out here makes tent camping a challenge (we tent camped for about 15 years before the SOB. ) Apparently my wife has always wanted an AS so we went browsing at the local AS dealer.

They had a great deal on a left over 28ft model that seemed perfect for us and two teenagers: separate dinette, twin beds affording some extra room and a large couch for watching TV. IMO the 28ft is the 'ideal' layout, easily beating the 27 ft model since they share the same external dimensions. While the 27ft has a better kitchen layout the dinette in our 28ft will provide a huge prep area when cooking

We tried to put the shopping trip behind us and I deleted all my bookmarks. For a couple week I cross-shopped for used models and figured out what we were looking for:
- 28ft layout was a must since our kids are still young enough to hang out with us. They don't need dedicated beds (eg. bunkhouse)
- Even if it's just the two of us the large layout will allow use of the dinette & couch without collapsing anything
- Wanted the vented AC, even our SOB had this and a loud AC would drive me nuts. 2015 or newer!
- Wanted the twin bed layout, our SOB had a Queen and moving around the bedroom was a PITA. This meant 2016 or newer.

There aren't very many 28ft airstreams in the used market and the few I found were selling for similar prices as the one at our dealer. So we went back to kick the tires and found they had an additional 1k rebate from AS. Decided to pull the trigger!

Next Steps:
- Will order the Blue Ox 1500 hitch, dealer only carried EQ
- Install Progressive 50A internal surge protector (we have 2 ACs)
- Replace stock power cable with the softer Camco version from Amazon
- Replace stock batteries w/ Trojan T105
- Add power cutoff switch

Eventually:
- Add solar panel set to permit silent boondocking

Wife wants:
- Wallpaper everywhere (how to talk her off this cliff?)
- Knick knacks, throw pillows
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Wife wants:
- Wallpaper everywhere (how to talk her off this cliff?)

Welcome aboard!

I have a professional Wallpapering company for over 40 years (based out of Austin) and you would not be the first I turn down. Here are your talking points:
1. Wallpaper will immediately lower the value of your new Airstream, since wallpaper is a very subjective and trendy choice. What if you decide you really wanted a 30' in a year?

2. You have to prime the subsurface with a product that will destroy it forever (no way in going back, since the primer has to stick)
3. Airstreams go through Temperature swings (up the 120F), that will destroy many wallcoverings over time
4. Humidity during storage can loosen the adhesive and start peeling the edges.
You are welcome and Happy Holidays!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Thank you! Now I have bandoleers of ammo if the topic ever comes up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Welcome aboard!

I have a professional Wallpapering company for over 40 years (based out of Austin) and you would not be the first I turn down. Here are your talking points:
1. Wallpaper will immediately lower the value of your new Airstream, since wallpaper is a very subjective and trendy choice. What if you decide you really wanted a 30' in a year?

2. You have to prime the subsurface with a product that will destroy it forever (no way in going back, since the primer has to stick)
3. Airstreams go through Temperature swings (up the 120F), that will destroy many wallcoverings over time
4. Humidity during storage can loosen the adhesive and start peeling the edges.
You are welcome and Happy Holidays!
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new Baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her. You are going to love Airstreaming.

Wallpaper in an Airstream is probably not a good idea. When an inside rivet pops, and they do, it will blow a hole in the wallpaper, and if it doesn't blow through, you will have a bulge in the wallpaper. We usually replace about a half dozen rivets a year in Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote