Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Brownwood , Texas
First airstream- first post

Hello, I am officially a proud airstream owner. Just picked up a 31' 74 Land Yacht sovereign. I picked this up in west Mississippi and hauled it all the way back to central texas. My plans are to completely restore it. Plans are to enlarge the bathroom, put in a queen sized bed, polish, remove the vinyl from interior aluminum, install custom bunk beds and sofa, and redesign the kitchen area. Going to be a lot of work, but I have plans to have it live able by this time next year as I am considering living in it while in college. If anyone has any suggestions or things I should know, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Cullenwruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forums! And good luck on your restoration! You're in the right place for all things Airstream .... and an astounding depth of knowledge among the members.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullenwruth View Post
Hello, I am officially a proud airstream owner. Just picked up a 31' 74 Land Yacht sovereign. I picked this up in west Mississippi and hauled it all the way back to central texas. My plans are to completely restore it. Plans are to enlarge the bathroom, put in a queen sized bed, polish, remove the vinyl from interior aluminum, install custom bunk beds and sofa, and redesign the kitchen area. Going to be a lot of work, but I have plans to have it live able by this time next year as I am considering living in it while in college. If anyone has any suggestions or things I should know, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Weather proof it before you do anything else.

Window, entrance door, access door and sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, will need replacing.

Then watch for leaks from missing rivets, leaky glass to sash gray gaskets in the stack, vista view and wing windows.

Once the coach is weather proof, then you can do the other things without worry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Welcome to the 74' yatch club. With our 74 I knew I needed to strip sooner than later so I but the bullet and stripped. I did this before spending all the money involved with getting weather seals and gaskets as the stripper eats it. After that I agree to make sure your sealed. In the meantime start a list some where, I have it on my phone, of needs to be done, like to be done, wish list. For me some of my wish list come in form of presents. Good luck and have fun.
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome and congrats on the rig. Will be interested in seeing your progress. Keep us posted.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullenwruth View Post

Congratulations !! Post pictures when you have the time.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Howdy from the northern part of this great state of TEXAS!!
Glad to have you among our ranks...

Keep dreaming and eat that elephant one bite at a time....blessings......Callie

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!!

COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY........JOHN WAYNE
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Welcome. You will have a great time with your Airstream. I am restoring a '50 Liner. Please post some pics as you go along. I would love to see them.
KZOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZOO View Post
Welcome. You will have a great time with your Airstream. I am restoring a '50 Liner. Please post some pics as you go along. I would love to see them.
Just a note, you may have trouble getting a response to a thread that's almost two years old!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome. I admire restorers/remodelers ... from a safe distance.

Read several threads on "the full monte" before you start. There's nothing more frustrating than having to re-do something because you didn't do another necessary task first (say remodel the furniture, then find out about floor rot and have to take everything back out to do a frame off restoration.

One of my favorites was done by Smokeless Joe, Here's the link...
(Abandon all hope ye who enter here!)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

now you can't say no one warned you.

Paula