Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Amissville , Virginia
Finally a breakthrough!

Hi all. This will be my first posting on this site as I have finally been successful in breaking through my overactive security blocks on my computer which have until now prevented me from logging on here.
I hope to be able to use this site to help unravel some of the myteries and conquer any of the challenges I face as I begin the process of bringing back to life the trailers I've managed to collect along the way.
This summer I will be constructing a 20" X 60" garage that should be able to fit two trailers at a time and allow me to get to some of the more major work I've been putting off.
My intention is to start with the floor replacement on my 1956 Caravanner. After getting the frame in good shape and upgrading the suspension, rewiring and then finally putting back all of the cabinetry back I will be selling this unit in order to finance some of the next projects.
My keeper trailers will be the 1967 Safari with it's blonde ashwood interior, and for longer stays, a 1965 Ambassador. I find the roomy floor plan and the absolutely beautiful walnut paneling make for one of the most wonderful and comfortble vintage interiors Ive seen.
If I have any single question for thee seasoned experts here on the forums it's one relating to another trailer I own that I'm trying to come to a conclusion about what to do with.
This late sixties model will need a complete floor replacement and likely some frame work as well. But the all original interior is in really nice shape. The body is exceptionally clean as well and being a '68 it has the curved Corning glass windows and the nicer aluminum tail light housings. There is however one major repair needed on the exterior, this being a dent on the two curved street side upper panels. The damage is enough to have opened the seam and creased the panels beyound simply pushing out the dent.
What I've found is that Airstream no longer has the exact panels I need to replace those but does have some that they say would work if I can "move them around until they fit and then cut them to match the old panels". I wonder if anyone here at the forums has had the experience of doing such a repair and if so whether this is a repair that I might be successful at doing being the novice I am. If these panels were the flat panels of the fifties I'd be less intimidated by the project.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Great Big Gadget
Grtbggdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Go Go Gadget Airstream!

Welcome to the forums! Lots of folks here will be able to help - pics of your projects will help us to help you!

By the way, how ya gonna get all that stuff in a building that's 20 inches by 60 inches? Only kidding - I know what you meant!

Again - welcome aboard!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I wonder if a lost commandment was: Thou shall not covet thou fellow Airstreamer's garage?
Wow what a project. I will be following your progress.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Okay, I'll bite.

Where the heck is "Amissville, VA"? Is it real or like Margaritaville?

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Amissville , Virginia
I stand corrected!

Yes, I'd say that my original measurements for the garage were on the small side. No wonder the builders quote was so good on the project!
Seriosly though, I'd never get anything done on my trailers in this climate that is full of weather surprises without such a garage. Plus lately we have at least one warning for damaging hail each week. Before owning any Airstreams I've had a brand new truck completely riveted by tennis ball size hail and both roofs on my two buildings ruined, with breakthroughs on all skylights. I can only imagine what would happen to aluminum in such a storm.
So as of yet there's been no good information on replacing rear end upper panels. I've been wondering if anyone has redone the dome on such a model year, that being mid-sixties, with the panels as were done as on my Caravanner when the trailers had thirteen panels. In this case I could simply order flat Alclad sheets rather than take a chance on jimmy-rigging panels that weren't meant to fit.

Great Big Gadget in Amissville.
By the way, Amissville is in the Northern Piedmont area of the Blue Ridge Mountains not too far from the Shenandoah National Forest.This puts it about one and a half hours from Washington DC.
Grtbggdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Gadget,
Suggest you try the search feature. Here are a couple of threads that might help. Andy of Inland RV has posted alot on the subject of panel replacement and has alot of expertise.

Welcome and good luck.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=panel
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=panel

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Where the heck is "Amissville, VA"? Is it real or like Margaritaville?

Paula Ford
Between Washington, VA and Warrenton, VA on US211...and yes I have been thru there In fact I did a bid on the VFD in Amissville, VA. Didn't get the job

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote