Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Grand Marais , Minnesota
Smile Final Approach

Ours names are Ed and Jan and we are so looking forward to retirement and taking to the road in our new RV which is yet to be purchased. Back in the 70's when we were in our early 30's we owned Century travel trailer and had lots of fun with it when we could find the time to use it but our careers got in the way so we finally sold it. We fell in love with canoe camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Northern Minnesota and treated our two children to a real camping experience every summer. They are now grown and Ed still camps with them but Mom, bless her soul, prefers to stay behind at our home on Seagull Lake. Because Minnesota winters can be rather long and brutal we decided to get back into RVing during that time to escape south. We are shopping and trying to keep an open mind about whether to go with a motor home or a trailer. I will be reading the forums, hoping to get some insight from veteran RVers to help us decide which method of travel is best for us. We are hoping to travel out to Ohio to visit the Airstream assembly plant and also to Forest City, Iowa to visit Winnebago. I would like to see in person how the RV's are built. Meanwhile, we are looking forward becoming members of the RV community! By the way, I titled our thread "Final Approach" because that is what we call our Minnesota home. I am a private pilot and for those of you who are not familiar with flying jargon, final approach is the last leg before landing at the airport.
century4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Good moring Ed and welcome to the forum! As you will find there are many of us flyer and boat types here who own Airstreams. You will fit right in. Something about the rivits and aluminum that create a bond. I do wish sometimes that we could get our Airstream up to the same speeds as my F-14 when out in the middle of no where! Once you decide if you want to motor home it or trailer it, you will want nothing other than an Airstream if you go with the concept of trailering. Look around the forum, use the search function and have fun and make some friends!

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Ed, welcome. Check out the thread "Airstreams and Flyboys" and make your contribution if you like. Quite a wealth of experience here with riveted aluminum, wheeled, ski'd and float.

Watching anything get put together can be off putting. You wouldn't eat in most restaurants if you saw it coming together. Likewise RV assembly plants.
It's often kinda like mobile home manufacturing with a twist.

Don't let that put you off your tours though, you'll learn a lot about both methods of construction. I'm certain you'll love Airstreaming. AS far as MH vs TT you'll have to settle for a used AS if you're going MH. They ain't makin' 'em anymore.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Ed and Jan. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your retriement. You'll find a lot of good information here.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum, Ed and Jan... You're smart to look around and do your research to find the perfect type and make of RV for your needs and wants...I'm sure many here are are happy that an Airstream is under consideration... Many of us have had other types and brands, rest assured. You'll find some useful information here and lots of opinions, so just poke around the forum, ask questions, and good luck with your quest for the "right RV"...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by century4
Ours names are Ed and Jan and we are so looking forward to retirement and taking to the road in our new RV which is yet to be purchased. Back in the 70's when we were in our early 30's we owned Century travel trailer and had lots of fun with it when we could find the time to use it but our careers got in the way so we finally sold it. We fell in love with canoe camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Northern Minnesota and treated our two children to a real camping experience every summer. They are now grown and Ed still camps with them but Mom, bless her soul, prefers to stay behind at our home on Seagull Lake. Because Minnesota winters can be rather long and brutal we decided to get back into RVing during that time to escape south. We are shopping and trying to keep an open mind about whether to go with a motor home or a trailer. I will be reading the forums, hoping to get some insight from veteran RVers to help us decide which method of travel is best for us. We are hoping to travel out to Ohio to visit the Airstream assembly plant and also to Forest City, Iowa to visit Winnebago. I would like to see in person how the RV's are built. Meanwhile, we are looking forward becoming members of the RV community! By the way, I titled our thread "Final Approach" because that is what we call our Minnesota home. I am a private pilot and for those of you who are not familiar with flying jargon, final approach is the last leg before landing at the airport.
One pilot to another, just because your on final approach, doesn't mean you have been cleared to land.

Read these forums very carefully, as you would a map if you had to dead reckon.

When it comes to buying a used Airstream, an informed buyer, is a smart buyer.

Start with the axles. If the seller doesn't say anything about them, and you see that they are shot, don't walk from that offer, "RUN."

Let us know when you have reached the outer marker.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Trailer or Motorhome

Each type has pro's and cons. What you want to do should help make the choice. A MH is great if you have a small car to tow along to go sightseeing or shopping in crowed areas. A trailer can be set up and you have your tow vehicle to ride around in. We had a trailer for years and loved it. As age got to us we opted for a MH as it was easier to park and set up for us. we missed having the truck for sightseeing day trips. We have had good times in both types. Good luck in your search. Which ever unit really excites when you find it will be the right one for you.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We aren't on final, but are downwind...

Welcome to the forums!

My husband and I are retired, so I won't say we are on final... that sounds too close to the end... but clearly we have turned downwind towards our landing. Doing your homework is important! You are definitely on the right track. These forums have a wealth of information and will provide you with lots of food for thought!

If you have a vehicle that will be a good tow vehicle already, then consider finding a trailer in the weight range that will work, rather than having to purchase both a trailer and tow vehicle. We have gone the whole gamit from tents, to big 5th wheel, teardrop, to motorhome... they all have plus and minus features. Size matters as well in the various choices, so does insurance costs, maintenance costs, total number of tires to purchase and maintain, and on and on...

Here is a thread that will give you some food for thought about camping and what you want in a trailer or moho:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck on your search and let us know how you are doing or what questions you run into!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote