Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Excited to join the community!

Hey all,

I look forward to engaging with the AS community and researching the treasure trove of info the site/forums provide. I actually posted something prior to this in the "Winterizing, Storage" forum, and I'm not sure if the mods will let it through because I didn't introduce myself. So I've also posted it below. Thank y'all for providing an invaluable space for the AS community!
__________________________________________________ _________

I'm a newbie owner of a 2020 Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk which will be base-camping the majority of the time on a concrete trailer pad on a rural property. My last trailer (Holiday Rambler - RIP) succumbed to the power of rodents. I DO NOT want the same fate to meet my new aluminum abode.

After scouring the internet for answers, the idea of a galvanized steel flashing fence/barrier around the whole trailer seemed like an effective method for deterring the Hantavirus-riddled little cuties. However, outside of this site -https://ucnrs.org/mice-barrier-cars/ - I haven't really found any information/designs/pictures of the barriers themselves.

If anyone has any tips, pics, diagrams, success/failure stories, etc., any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Texastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from mice infested Colorado. I have a friend of a friend who has a Flying Cloud 30. I got to do a bit of work on it a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice trailer, especially compared to my 40 year old Airstreams.

I think the best strategy to keep mice out is to plug every entrance point, that is any hole bigger than about 1/2". The first one to plug is found in the A frame just below the coupling ball socket. The A frame steel members come together there. I don't know about new Airstreams, but mine have square tubing A frame members and Airstream left them OPEN. Mice loved to crawl up the tongue jack and walk down the frame rails. When I plugged these, I trapped many less mice during the winter.

Then crawl under your trailer and look at every bottom aluminum penetration. If bigger than 1/2" diameter, figure out a way to plug it.

Also, the bumper storage compartment needs inspected to ensure no mices can find their way into the trailer from there.

Last, post a sign outside the trailer that says
"No Homeless Mice Trespassing".

Hope this helps

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have a serious problem here with Pack Rats. They can find their way into the smallest of openings. Many of the neighbors have had thousands of dollars worth of damage to their cars as these rats nest in the engine compartments and eat all the wires, hoses and belts.

We defend the Airstream with a combination of sonic devices, solar light ropes and snap traps. So far, so good...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #4

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely be searching for and plugging every entrance point possible. Another quick Airforums related question - In terms of getting info on the galvanized steel flashing barrier, which forum do you think would be best to post that question on? Thanks again!
Texastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
We have a serious problem here with Pack Rats. They can find their way into the smallest of openings. Many of the neighbors have had thousands of dollars worth of damage to their cars as these rats nest in the engine compartments and eat all the wires, hoses and belts.

We defend the Airstream with a combination of sonic devices, solar light ropes and snap traps. So far, so good...
I am definitely going to look into the solar light rope. Never heard of it before, but just the name sounds cool!
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I would try the general repair forum. I think you may get some help with a clearly defined problem you are trying to solve, and maybe a photo of where the flashing is going to go.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
No food inside.. clean the tanks well..

Get some STAINLESS steel wool (or bronze if thats all you can find).. stuff in all the holes you can find. A couple drops of super glue into the bundle, once the opening is stuffed will help slow them down..but let air pass.

The 'sonic' deterrents work well. Keeping the trailer well lit beneath helps..

These guys have some cool ideas.. https://www.victorpest.com/

The idea is to repel or capture outside...

If you are going to live in the AS, don't bait traps inside... you want to catch them outside..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote