Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 AM   #1

1970 31' Sovereign
Woodinville , Washington
Dropped off in the driveway...

Hello all, new to this site but not RV'ing or cars (title reflects that?) or vbb forums.

As for the title of this post - a friend of ours had decided to take their life-long dream of boat chartering in some tropical climate. Problem: he had been living in what appears to be a 1970 Safari though I couldn't tell (yr) in the dark by the time we got it parked on our property. I'll try to run the VIN to find out the exact year though it looks to be a 70' from the layout and exterior with options available then. He just dropped it off and said "take good care of it, I'll drop the title off Saturday". Ummm...ok.

The exterior is oxidized, most of the interior will have to be replaced and the front seating/dining is torn up to the sub floor. There is supposedly a leak in front and back above the windows but I haven't had time to actually check - there is nothing in the bedroom, its been stripped. And being a computer geek the wiring is probably messed up from some strange configurations they were trying to do - most of it will be a strip down and refurbish.

At least the axle and frame are solid, new propane tanks up front, good tread on the tires, original windows are still intact though will need a new seal. No torque on the frame or body but it did sit 99% of the time leveled on 4pt jacks.

After owning a class A 38' custom diesel pusher for six years, my Grandfathers first 1952 Airstream then later a 1974 of which they travelled all over North America with 'the AS group', family background of custom home building and wood boat building then my hobby of racing street stock cars, I think I can figure most of this out.

However new ideas are always welcome and I may hit you all up for that or lurk to see what many have done with a TT such as this. My goal is to restore the exterior to original - I am undecided on the interior since I have Grandfathers old slides from 30+ years in his Airstream's. It shows the true configuration, colors and materials - a bit outdated but colors and fabric can vary yet still retain its original glory.

What a way to enter a mid-life crisis!
GEARHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gearhed, welcome and the best of luck to you. You will find all the information you need on this site. Please post some pictures of the trailer.
  • Do not assume the frame is straight even if the unit was on 4 point jacks, Airstreams are sensitive to jacking. Do a search and find out.
  • Axle, do not assume it is good do a search and find out how to check it.
  • Tires, do not assume they are good, tires on a RV are time sensitive and mileage sensitive, find the date code and check the age.
  • Use the search function.
  • Ask questions a lot of knowledge is on this site.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey, welcome to the forums! You'll have a great time with your new trailer... pics? Even if your trailer may not be up to it, you are MORe than welcome to come to the NW AS forums rally in Beverly Beach OR on the 28th of Sept. If you don't have a travel unit ready for the trip, just hang out with us and use a hotel..... you'll get more than enough ideas for your trailer!

Again, welcome!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #4

1970 31' Sovereign
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks Jim.
About 6 years ago the frame, axles, tires and new tanks were done by an AS shop then the unit was parked in a year round RV grounds. Since the PO wanted to live in it, they took the advice AS gave on not using the jacks as full weight support - they were rather picky about the integrity though not interior ::shrugs:: They even pointed out (with a flashlight) where the PO to them used ammonia to clean the front cap at one point and were not happy since it damages the clear coat. The tires are good enough to get it to a shop for any work I can't do - not rr but good enough for the resto. Wish I could put a 4pt HWH on it...

We have a chassis dealer close by, he's got a good shop there so I might have him take a look at it. He caught some integrity issues with my Spartan chassis a few years back everyone else missed. Good to have someone that close. Search works great as always, found a few tips last night on the clear coat and leak issue.

Marc, thanks for the offer but the tie up is - we don't have anything to tow it with yet. Depends on finishing the house remodel (3 major projects at once? No problem!) since we plan on that week of getting all the hardwood down then. If I'd taken pictures last night you would have seen very little - need to get back to more finish trim today and address the AS this weekend...or next depending on all the little stuff to wrap inside the house. Only so much time to take off work to do all this stuff. Thanks for the offer!
GEARHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome Gearhed.

Projects have a habit of attracting projects. It's like they send out a signal heard by other projects and they seem to find their way to the sender. I love it. It's like owning a vintage car - even a very rare one - all of a sudden someone comes up and says they happen to have or know of another one and bam, there you are, with two of the suckers, then with any luck at all, three (don't tell my wife I said that last part).

Pictures, once you have the time, will give us a chance to have a look and provide comments. Not that in my case at least they are always right, but if nothing else they provide a bit of levity to the situation. Restoring an Airstream is a lot of fun when it's done without a time restraint (well, there are some who like that part of it too) and you can make it into what ever it is you need.

Good for your buddy being able to realize his dream, and very nice of him to take care of you in the process. He's just trying to keep you busy so you don't miss him too much.

Take care, and glad to have you on board

Barry
Old 08-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gearhed good to see you have a handle on this already and certainly do not require a long explanation as to why something is done in a certain manner. I am in process of restoring my Katrina totaled Sailboat and putting back together my MGA to give to my son when he completes High School, multiple projects are the norm for many of us.You will find most users on the forum are like yourself and have multiple skills. Post some pictures of the trailer and the Spartan.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome to the Forums

Wow! Most of us just find stray animals in the drive.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote