Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Dooley's Here

I am new to the site and have owned my Airstream TT since 1987 and use it mostly on vacations each year. I try to do all my own work on it to keep things running smooth.
I don't like to camp in crowded areas on pavement and prefer to find the out of the way state or national park to visit and mountain and desert camping is always a plus.
I've recently been kicking around the idea of using a couple of small generators to power the air conditioner when I camp in a place that has no electric available. I'm sure there are plenty of fellow trailer owners that have already went that route. I'll have to do a search to see what I can find on the subject.
Nice to be here!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Welcome to the forums! It's a great resource, especially for those who like to do their own work.

The Honda 2000i generators can be paralleled to provide about 3KW, more than enough power for a 13,000 BTU AC. I don't know of any others that can be hooked together to do this--maybe the Yamaha?

I like the Hondas because you can one-man carry them. When you move up to a 3000i it's on wheels and I don't know how you'd get it in and out of the truck bed.

If you're a "boondocker," update the boondocking threads for the states/places you find.

Zep
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Dooley. You'll find the search function has a lot to offer. You'll be busy for days with just your one inquiry. I second Zep's comments on the 2000i Honda's. Glad you finally found us and post some pictures when you can. We all love pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the nice welcolmes. Just looking through some of what this site has to offer, shows me that there is a wealth of information here. I know already that I will be spending many hours in front of this computer screen.
Yes, I feel like you guys do about the Honda generators. I'll be saving up some coin and waiting for the right sale to make my move. It's really something that I think would make the way I camp and travel more enjoyable especially in the hot weather.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Me too!

I decided to get some generator power this year. I see where Camper World is offering a 10% Club discount plus another 10% off on the 2000i this month.
I usually shop online and have not compared prices yet, on this new plan. Anyone have a GREAT source?

Zep,(anyone else?).....on the Caravel, will a single 2000i be O.K. if I only use it for the 13,500 Carrier, a coffee pot ,music and lights? Would I avoid problems by just biting the bullet and gettin two?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Melody Ranch, you HAVE to have two Honda's to start the 13,500 air conditioner without damaging it. GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Dooley, for the type of camping you enjoy, you owe it to yourself to check out the Heart of Texas Camping Club. Their president, David Tidmore, lives in Weatherford with members primarily in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. They routinely boondock together some place most every month. When not boondocking, they favor state parks or Corps of Engineers parks. Email David at dtidmore@msn.com David was the Sales and Service manager for Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford for years and was generally recognized as THE BEST source of Airstream information around. He can help answer any questions you might have as to repair or generator needs. Another member of this unit writes the "Tin Hut" series of articles for Airstream Life every issue. This is a fun group of generally younger folks totalling about 20 Airstreams. Contact David for particulars.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We use ours mainly for running the micro/convection and charging the battery. We have run the AC on it (nothing else) and it seemed OK. Our local fire department have used one to run the AC and lights in a demonstration trailer for the past two years with no problem and it gets a lot of use. Some people have reported they burned up their AC using it and others that their unit wouldn't evan start. A friend who is an AC technician says the new model AC's have a much improved starting circuitry.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Anyone have a GREAT source?

Zep,(anyone else?).....on the Caravel, will a single 2000i be O.K. if I only use it for the 13,500 Carrier, a coffee pot ,music and lights? Would I avoid problems by just biting the bullet and gettin two?
I posted something a year ago about a great source, but can't find it....

No, the 2000i won't start the AC on my Carvel. It's a new 13,500 BTU model. My 2400 Watt Chinese genset will run my vintage AC on the Sovereign 2/3rds of the time. So it's a close call. If I rewired it to have only 110, instead of 110 and 220, it would work fine (you can swap the windings on gensets that have 220 so they are in parallel instead of series, then you get all the power at 110V).

Zep