Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

tauranga , bay of plenty
Cool Dogs in North America.

Hi, Im a new member and have very little knowledge of towing, though pretty experienced having driven extensivly in Europe Australasia and the US of A.
My wife and I [and our miniature Schnauzer] plan to visit The US about this time next year. I must have an Airstream and I am thinking that the globe trotter [mid 60s] would probably be practical .Not too big so easier to tow. We hope to travel from Alaska to Panama and beyond and dont have a time limit.Unfortunatly we do have a bit of a budget, so new is outof the question. I like the look of the Chevy G20. Practical for our purposes as we could set up a base camp then do satellite trips in the G20. What about it people is this sillyness. Also we are at present in NZ which isnt really that dog friendly, I have spent time in the states, but never traveling with a dog. How is it.
Would really appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks in advance Airstreamers.
florimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Welcome.
The US in most places is very dog friendly.
However, many of the National and State Parks require that dogs remain on leashes
and some hiking trails do not allow dogs at all.
But overall most campgrounds allow pets.
Have fun.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hello and welcome to the forum. Being in the US, I'm not too sure of what is required to bring a dog into the states, but we took our dog into Canada and on into Alaska last year. We needed a record of shots for the dog, and a discription of the dog and certification of shots from the vet.

Anyway, I'm sure this information can be gathered on the net.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Florimondo,

No problem with your little animal. In fact, we wouldn't really count it as a dog; it's more like an supersize hamster. As long as you keep it in your pocket and hidden from the crows, she'll be ok.

Does she ride in the car, or run alongside?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

tauranga , bay of plenty
Easy Tiger

Mark you tread the fine line. Where I come from you dont diss another mans dog. Flirt with his wife maybe, drink his beer ,perhaps, but bad mouth his dog. Thats bad news.
This dog has attitude, if you tried to break into my house at night she would have you. Firstly you would trip over her and then she would probably lick you to death.
As to running alongside the car, I have decided against buying a tow vehicle. It these airstreams are what they are claimed to be, hell the dog can tow the trailor.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You're my kinda guy! It's great that you'll stick up for the little gal. We welcome your little dog with open arms.

Actually my daughter has two Yorkies, so I know not to mess with little dogs.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We live with our 3 dogs traveling throughout the United States. Just have your paperwork as proof of required vacinations. The rabies dog tag does'nt hold up as it can be transfered by swapping collars. If you bring the current papers to any vet, they can look it over to determin if the dog needs anything else.

Be sure to have a leash with you whenever the dog is outside. My dogs are always tied up or on a leash while walking. I feel they are good dogs but other dogs will come to visit yours. It's easier to get up & run off the visiting dog when you don't have to hold your's back.

Check on quarantine laws. We'll be going to Mexico sometime next year. Our dogs will be quarantined for 90 days going in, then another 90 days coming back. That's crazy for a 3 week trip. It's cheaper to put them in a kennel here before going. Besides I'd have to pay for kennel care for the 180 days of quarantine.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #8

tauranga , bay of plenty
Thanks for that, hadnt got so far as to check south of the border. No worries my new buddie Mark can have Della [see just how tough his Yorkies are then] But seriously thanks for the tips.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
We have a tiny Chihuahua / Dachshund mix and taken her with us when we travel all the time with the execption of Mexico. Everywhere we go she gets the most attention! She weighs about six pounds and looks like a little Doberman and when strangers come around she has the attitude of a mean junkyard dog. I think they call it "little dog syndrome". And, BTW, her name is Spikey.

My main tow rig is a Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel but I also tow with a Starcraft Chevrolet G20 Conversion van that makes it nice when you have some extra people or pets. We have a small kennel that has been Spikeys safe house since she was little. She gets to ride with us normally but when she gets worried she will retreat to her kennel.

She is good around other people as long as we are around but she will bark like something is really wrong if we are not around and others come looking. Here is a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spikey in pool 003.1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	81019
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Our dog is the reason we bought our airstream, well one of them anyway, She loves to ride in the truck, we want to travel and don't want to have to leave her behind. Now we don't have to worry about finding a motel that allows dogs, And she has her own home away from home.

Here in the States many of us who have dogs are usually "dog daffy" as my grandmother use to say, My kids say the dog is a spoiled brat, something they were NOT allowed to be,

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
We live with our 3 dogs traveling throughout the United States.

Check on quarantine laws. We'll be going to Mexico sometime next year. Our dogs will be quarantined for 90 days going in, then another 90 days coming back. That's crazy for a 3 week trip. It's cheaper to put them in a kennel here before going. Besides I'd have to pay for kennel care for the 180 days of quarantine.

Ricky
Hmmm? We've been back and forth across the border for some 30 years now and never had to quarantine. Always had shot papers and Vet health statement, but never was asked to show them.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are dogs everywhere in the US, and 99% of campgrounds welcome them as long as they are picked up after. And those of us who are dogless due to the passing on of our beloved companions, really love it when fellow travelers share their pooches with us.