Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Insanity Cruz , California
Dazed and confused insanitycruz.

Hello,

I'm a total NooB and am just beginning my search for a Airstream. I have access to a choice of TV's one being an 87 Chevy stepside and the other being a Dodge 2500 Sprinter. That being said I'm looking for a 19'-23' trailer. I'm more interested in a late model as I own way more vintage stuff then any human should. Think vintage VW split window Busses and vintage motorcycles. Neil young hit the nail on the head when he sung " Rust never sleeps " anywho, I get enough iron oxide in my eyes,ears, nose and throat and am not looking to add to the equation. Won't be any kids using it as it's just going to be used for my better half and I and aprx' 150lbs of pete bool dogs. We've never even been inside a Airstream trailer but I know what I like and don't want something that will fall apart if I decide to pull it down to Baja or off road around Mt. Shasta. where the heck do I start??
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Amazes me that people still try this lame scam.

I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Omaha, NE for a new start. The camper is in my possession, already at the shipping company, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp View Post
Amazes me that people still try this lame scam.

I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Omaha, NE for a new start. The camper is in my possession, already at the shipping company, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
Was this meant to be a PM?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The "trailer is in storage, will be delivered to you" scam you alluded to has to work every once in a while, or the dirtbags wouldn't keep doing it over and over and over again.

Did you encounter this on a craiglist ad or on one of our classified ads? If it was an Airstream classified please notify me or one of the other mods ASAP so we can take down the ad.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So now to your first post...

There are Airstream dealers in Paso Robles and Fairfield, neither right next door to you but not worlds away either. I'm guessing Paso Robles would take less time even though it's farther, you can skip the Bay-area traffic. Call them up and ask them what they have in stock in your desired size range, even if you're not currently considering brand-new it's useful to go by the dealership so you can a) look at various models and floorplans and b) see how brand-new compares to lightly-used both on the trailers and on the numbers.

The 23FB seems to be an extremely popular model, and there's lots of market for the small ones, so if you buy small and decide to trade up you'll have a decent market in which to sell the used one.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
After you visit a dealer or two, go to a rally. WBCCI has them and there are Forum Rallies. Only a few WBCCI events welcome prospective owners - so call and ask, don't just show up.

There is almost always an open house where people show off their trailers - and sometimes grouse about changes they'd like to make or "if I had it to do over I'd"....

All are really useful ways to get the lay of the land. I got a gently used one and though I have had a few minor irritating problems I'm happy.

Take your time. Oh, and some KOA's have rental Airstreams! Spend a weekend, it's cheaper than buying then finding out you don't want it!

Paula
Old 11-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Thank you all for the great advice!! The above reply I posted was from a local craigslist ad. The pics he/she included in the reply looked familliar to me, possibly fleabay with the watermark removed? I'm going to take the advice of visiting a dealer. My better half has Family in Los Banos and I believe there is a AS dealer there. Said better halfs Uncle use to own the place. I have Family/friends in Vacaville so I will look into visiting the AS dealer in Fairfield ( Just not at night!! )

I don't plan on buying new as that exceeds my price point. Lightly used, pride in ownership is what I'm after. Already added solar, LED lighting, fantastic fans would be a nice touch as well.

I'll have to look into the AS rallies as that'd be purdy neat !! Also I had no idear that KOA campgrounds rented Airstreams. I live spitting distance to a popular State Park where The odd AS's frequent every now and then as well. This could take me a while as I've already been looking/lurking for close to 2 years.

When I first starting looking at AS's I didn't really have the $ to buy one but that didn't stop me from looking. ( Read not time wasting, tire kicking but looking at classifieds ) Needed to clear that up as my first post states " Just beginning " I'm still a super NooB and have a lot to learn.