Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cincy , Ohio
Currently Shopping for My Airstream!

Hi everyone! My name is Aylson, or Alice, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Tomorrow I am going to look at my first Airstream(s) which I'm super siked about! I won't be buying (famous last words ik) but seriously I just want to see some floor plans up close as I've only ever seen AS as they go down the road.

I'm considering Bambi, Caravel and maybe even the small FC but I want to keep the size as small as possible.

My time frame is to buy by the end of next month as I am selling my home and plan to live in the AS full time for the next year as I travel most of the continental US

I currently have an FJ Cruiser that will also be replaced once I settle on an Airstream.

Not sure what else to add but I have lots of questions I'm sure I will be asking you all.
Alyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome. We’ve all been in the same boat. No one is born towing an Airstream behind their tricycle. What year are you interested in? Good luck get what fits your style and comfort.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Spend as much time as you possibly can in various models and floorpans. None of this can be fully worked out from the internet. There are a *lot* of very similar sized models.

Understand that right now used RV prices are insane. You will pay a lot for a used RV right now ( any RV, not just an Airstream). New prices are not quite so nutty. You may have to shop a bit, but there are dealers out there offering pretty good prices on factory orders. The gotcha with a factory order is the wait. You probably will not see your new one until next spring ....

So, yes head out and look at trailers. Work out the trailer first and then figure out what you can tow it with.

Good Luck !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Since you plan on camping year round, this guide might be useful.

https://www.airstream.com/community/...inter-camping/

A great adventure ahead!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Spend as much time as you possibly can in various models and floorpans. None of this can be fully worked out from the internet. There are a *lot* of very similar sized models.

Understand that right now used RV prices are insane. You will pay a lot for a used RV right now ( any RV, not just an Airstream). New prices are not quite so nutty. You may have to shop a bit, but there are dealers out there offering pretty good prices on factory orders. The gotcha with a factory order is the wait. You probably will not see your new one until next spring ....

So, yes head out and look at trailers. Work out the trailer first and then figure out what you can tow it with.

Good Luck !!!

Bob
Greetings, we are looking as well(30' FC bunk), I think if you order a new unit, the final price is determined at delivery. Airstream reserves the right to adjust the pricing due to manufacturing/supply cost, it is in the fine print of the ordering paperwork... : (
Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your search for your AS.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:48 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

Odd man out here...

Your first Airstream, first time 'full timer'?

I would recommend a gently used for your first Airstream. You may find the new units rather scarce for perusal on the dealer lots these daze.

Especially if your considering a smaller unit, AS only makes them 'cuz they know you'll want a larger one down the road.😂
If the lifestyle doesn't suit, you'll have a less painful exit.

You are on the right track by putting the cart before the horse, many try to match the AS to the vehicle already in the driveway.😵*💫

One more thing...don't Nest, they have been a bit questionable IMHO.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
Greetings, we are looking as well(30' FC bunk), I think if you order a new unit, the final price is determined at delivery. Airstream reserves the right to adjust the pricing due to manufacturing/supply cost, it is in the fine print of the ordering paperwork... : (
Jim
Hi

It's a pretty good bet that factory prices will go up something in the 5 to 10% range each year. In very rare cases, mid year adjustments might happen as well. If the trailer you order now "turns into" a 2023 model year unit, it's a good bet that the price will go up a little. Past that, this would be pretty far down on my list of worries .....

Bob
Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bob...Are you saying the previous years AS magically transsion every 12/31 at midnight as long as they are still at JC?
Think I'll hold THO for a while longer.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome and good luck.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Small is good for a single full timer (advice coming from someone who has never done it). I would definitely steer away from “wet” bathrooms where the toilet and shower are together. Of course storage is going to be at a premium. Our 25’ Globetrotter would be great for a single and have ample storage. I’d think a flying cloud 25’ would be too.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob...Are you saying the previous years AS magically transsion every 12/31 at midnight as long as they are still at JC?
Think I'll hold THO for a while longer.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi

If your order pushes out past whatever the end of the model year is for your model ( and some have had this happen ) then indeed you will get a 2023 and not a 2022 model year trailer.

Is this magic date March first or is it August first? It seems to depend a lot on just which model you are looking at and how they decide to do things in this or that year. It's AS .. why would they ever do anything the same way twice ?

Bob
Old 09-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Based on another post that just popped up, you can move one end of that "year change over" out to "maybe early September".

Bob
Old 09-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Just like a good spouse, I'll splash some cold reality on your dreams. First put pencil to paper and seriously figure your monthly budget. You probably already have. Many of your expenses are "fixed costs" and don't go away 'cause you got an Airstream. Health insurance, dental insurance, vehicle insurance, trailer insurance, internet service, food and clothing, loan payments and of course taxes. Then there is fuel and maintenance on the tow vehicle, maintenance on the Airstream, and the like. Think about living in a trailer park, which many full timers do. Sure they move around, but long time boondocking would be challenging. Your pretty close to noisy neighbors. Extended stay costs at the park are maybe 300 or 400 a month. One night stay can be 50 or 70 per night. You use a lot of propane in the winter months even down south. It might be $2.50 a gallon, and RVs are not all that efficient. And last but not least, you have to establish a "domicile" so the government knows where to send you tax forms and etc.

When I figured it, the monthly costs was more than a cozy apartment somewhere.

Curmudgeon David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Snow Covered GlobeTrotter-800x600.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	404296  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Cincy , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Welcome. We’ve all been in the same boat. No one is born towing an Airstream behind their tricycle. What year are you interested in? Good luck get what fits your style and comfort.
Nothing too old to avoid large maintenance 2015 ish or newer.

Quote:
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Understand that right now used RV prices are insane. You will pay a lot for a used RV right now ( any RV, not just an Airstream). New prices are not quite so nutty.

Good Luck !!!

Bob
Thanks! Won't being going new but I did get to see multiple layouts today and think the 22/23 ft range is best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Since you plan on camping year round, this guide might be useful.

https://www.airstream.com/community/...inter-camping/

A great adventure ahead!
Awesome thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your search for your AS.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Odd man out here...

Your first Airstream, first time 'full timer'?
Yep.. should be easy ha!

One more thing...don't Nest, they have been a bit questionable IMHO.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸
Awesome smoke detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Welcome and good luck.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Small is good for a single full timer (advice coming from someone who has never done it). I would definitely steer away from “wet” bathrooms where the toilet and shower are together. Of course storage is going to be at a premium. Our 25’ Globetrotter would be great for a single and have ample storage. I’d think a flying cloud 25’ would be too.
I did actually go in a 25ft International today and while super nice it really was overkill for what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Just like a good spouse, I'll splash some cold reality on your dreams. First put pencil to paper and seriously figure your monthly budget. You probably already have. Many of your expenses are "fixed costs" and don't go away 'cause you got an Airstream. Health insurance, dental insurance, vehicle insurance, trailer insurance, internet service, food and clothing, loan payments and of course taxes. Then there is fuel and maintenance on the tow vehicle, maintenance on the Airstream, and the like. Think about living in a trailer park, which many full timers do. Sure they move around, but long time boondocking would be challenging. Your pretty close to noisy neighbors. Extended stay costs at the park are maybe 300 or 400 a month. One night stay can be 50 or 70 per night. You use a lot of propane in the winter months even down south. It might be $2.50 a gallon, and RVs are not all that efficient. And last but not least, you have to establish a "domicile" so the government knows where to send you tax forms and etc.

When I figured it, the monthly costs was more than a cozy apartment somewhere.

Curmudgeon David
There's no doubt that AS life will be cheaper than my current mortgage and related expenses but to be honest it's more about the adventure. I will be only use RV parks when really necessary; I plan to move a lot.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok so "move a lot" ....

If you are in the "cheap seats" you have no water, no sewer and no electric. You may still be paying a daily rate, but it's not as high as it would be with the fancy stuff. Are the cheap spots $10 a day or $20? It depends a lot on where you are. If you are way out of town in the west, it might be free.... maybe ...

With no sewer, you will be limited to a week or two. At that point you very much need to find someplace to dump. Same issue with filling thresh water.

If it's hot out and you have no "shore power" running an A/C will be difficult. You can move around to stay cool in the summer. That may involve being above 10,000 feet.

If you need cellular connections, that works against being in the cheap seats. Maybe you need internet / data / phone ... maybe you don't. If you *must* have connectivity that will get a bit expensive.

When you hit the winter, it is tough to stay in the US and not need some way to heat the trailer. You may well run through $50 of propane in a week. Staying at a site with power is usually in the $40 to $50 a day range. That *assumes* they aren't closed for the winter ( a lot of the the cheap places close ... $40 is cheap ....).

So lots to think about !!!

Bob
Old 09-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Cincy , Ohio
Quote:
Hi

Ok so "move a lot" ....

If you are in the "cheap seats" you have no water, no sewer and no electric. You may still be paying a daily rate, but it's not as high as it would be with the fancy stuff. Are the cheap spots $10 a day or $20? It depends a lot on where you are. If you are way out of town in the west, it might be free.... maybe ...

With no sewer, you will be limited to a week or two. At that point you very much need to find someplace to dump. Same issue with filling thresh water.

If it's hot out and you have no "shore power" running an A/C will be difficult. You can move around to stay cool in the summer. That may involve being above 10,000 feet.

If you need cellular connections, that works against being in the cheap seats. Maybe you need internet / data / phone ... maybe you don't. If you *must* have connectivity that will get a bit expensive.

When you hit the winter, it is tough to stay in the US and not need some way to heat the trailer. You may well run through $50 of propane in a week. Staying at a site with power is usually in the $40 to $50 a day range. That *assumes* they aren't closed for the winter ( a lot of the the cheap places close ... $40 is cheap ....).

So lots to think about !!!

Bob

I'm obviously new so I could be way off base but I'll detail my plan ( more like an outline right now) and you tell me what I'm overlooking: For the 1st year I want to travel as much as possible maybe even trying for 49 states.

I only want to boondock but realize this may not always be feasible or even desirable. I want to be able to be on my own for several days at a time; ideally up to a week. I have heard there are some amazing camp sites near oceans etc so when that's the case I'm okay with a camp site.

I will outfit roof solar plus a plug in solar along with lithium and a backup generator for emergencies.

When water/ power/ food requires I will pack-up and refresh everything. This may be the ideal time to book a camp site for a night or two.

Once everything is refreshed I will head to my next destination. Likely in a different state.

While good consistent internet is preferable if the destination is worth it I can go a week without internet. For safety reasons I would want to be able to at least text message though.

While I am certainly not looking to waste money I also work remotely so I have a job that supports me.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
All the best to you as you figure your Airstream journey out.
IG @airstream_happy_ours
MJUSA is offline   Reply With Quote