Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

New York , New York
Craigslist Airstream Phishing

HI,

This is my first post, I’m an Airstream-wisher. Part of my wishing for is looking for Airstreams for sale including on Craigslist. I have noticed a huge number of number of posts, across the country, for Airstreams at inordinately low prices. I responded to one to check and and it’s a phishing scheme. In addition to the low price, contact email addresses are imbedded in the photos. If anyone has the time it might be nice to flag these posts as fraudulent. It takes a certain number of independent flags for the posts to be removed.

Thanks and I keep wishing on the Globetrotter ♥️

Be well, Elyse
elyselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Good luck on your search. There are many threads on these forums describing the various scams out there--it may be worthwhile for you to search "scams" to see the forms they take.

Make no mistake, though, these guys are out to scam everyone, not just Airstream buyers. You will even find some suspicious ads on these Airforums Classified ads. With a little experience, though you will learn to recognize the red flags.

Good luck on your hunt!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
When we first started looking at Airstreams, we found an ad on CL that looked local. The price was about half of the going rate so we contacted them, then the story started to get weird. The trailer wasn't local at all and it turned out to be pictures of someone else's trailer.

When we said we will come and have a look, they said, just pay for it and if you don't like, you can return it.

This seller had about 5 different trailers all super cheap and non existent.

It seemed that when we said we wanted to see it, that's when they showed their true colors.

Recently, I saw one pop up again on our local CL and in a few days it was gone again.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
You can dedicate your life to flagging those ads out of existence and never make a dent in the supply. You need to learn to spot them yourself and move on. On occasion you will run into one that appears legitimate. Just make sure you don't bend any of the common sense rules of buying in order to get a deal done.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
They are everywhere on CL, I see the same thing in Airstreams, pontoon boats, tractors, sports cars, etc. People just need to 'buyer beware' and know if it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam. But I still do flag them when I see them. You will just never catch them all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’ve known a few people that found good deals on Craig’s List but after taking as many complaints of fraud on CL when I served on the local PD, I avoid the place. YMMV
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote