Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Sacramento , California
Cooling fans for refrigerator compartment on a 25 International

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2669.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	375569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2670.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	375570
2019streammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sparks , Nevada
What are the details on this? Looks like a nice setup.
SteveSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSrt View Post
What are the details on this? Looks like a nice setup.

Thank you. I store my Airstream outside at my shop so I’m plugged in full time and that cheap single noisy fan they use was going bad so I decide to make my own set up that will exhaust all the hot air and not just blow it around in the compartment. Just like fan shroud for a car radiator.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
2019streammm Looks like a really nice job. I like the idea of the seal on the bottom of the plate.

I am just putting the finishing touches on my 'interpretation' of a 3-fan refer exhaust assembly for my FC25. The noisy industrial Dometic supplied fan has just not been able to keep up with Central Texas heat.

I've left some open areas in case of catastrophic failure, theory being some heat will escape if the fans or their power fail. I see you left some open space, below the 'seal', was that your thinking there? Passive heat vent?

One of my concerns is just how must an impediment to good air flow the insect screen inside the louvered door will present.

Anyway the install will take place tomorrow and we'll see how well it works. I really like your idea to seal off the fan pressured area.

Here's my almost completed assembly, the hinge is there for easy assess for maintenance, especially any of the fans. The whole assy will rotate up when needed.

I also drilled out the rivets holding the vent cover and replaced them with #6/32 Rivnuts so I can easily remove the vent with 3 screws when working on it. Don't have to tie or tape it up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8129.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	375572  
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
2019streammm Looks like a really nice job. I like the idea of the seal on the bottom of the plate.

I am just putting the finishing touches on my 'interpretation' of a 3-fan refer exhaust assembly for my FC25. The noisy industrial Dometic supplied fan has just not been able to keep up with Central Texas heat.

I've left some open areas in case of catastrophic failure, theory being some heat will escape if the fans or their power fail. I see you left some open space, below the 'seal', was that your thinking there? Passive heat vent?

One of my concerns is just how must an impediment to good air flow the insect screen inside the louvered door will present.

Anyway the install will take place tomorrow and we'll see how well it works. I really like your idea to seal off the fan pressured area.

Here's my almost completed assembly, the hinge is there for easy assess for maintenance, especially any of the fans. The whole assy will rotate up when needed.

I also drilled out the rivets holding the vent cover and replaced them with #6/32 Rivnuts so I can easily remove the vent with 3 screws when working on it. Don't have to tie or tape it up!

Thank you. This was my second go at it. The first time I just had two fan mounted like the factory did and didn’t seem to help much beside being quieter using different fans but that was one of my issue was the noise. I felt air coming out but not much and I know for sure a lot was just getting pushed back in.

This was my second go at it and now you walk by and you can feel the hot air hitting your face. As far as wiring goes I use the factory temp sensor to trigger a Bosch relay and activate the fans. I didn’t wanna take a chance on overloading the sensor. I also have two of the same fans at the bottom of the compartment blowing air up. So we’ll see how it works out.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019streammm View Post
Thank you. This was my second go at it. The first time I just had two fan mounted like the factory did and didn’t seem to help much beside being quieter using different fans but that was one of my issue was the noise. I felt air coming out but not much and I know for sure a lot was just getting pushed back in.

This was my second go at it and now you walk by and you can feel the hot air hitting your face. As far as wiring goes I use the factory temp sensor to trigger a Bosch relay and activate the fans. I didn’t wanna take a chance on overloading the sensor. I also have two of the same fans at the bottom of the compartment blowing air up. So we’ll see how it works out.
Didn't realize this was your 2nd go-'round. Using intake fan(s) sounds like a good idea, I didn't do that, yet! I did finish the install today and started the refer (on electric) late this afternoon. The temp was 101 here today so this should be a pretty good test.

My fans are connected directly through the A/S thermal switch and I made a by-pass circuit so I can manually over-ride the ts. Since the 3 fans draw only 0.2A (~12VDC/2.4 W) total I wasn't too worried about the direct current draw through the thermal switch.

For right now I'm running it in bypass mode. I'll work with using the thermal switch after the refer has had a chance to stabilize. So far so good.

If nothing else the noise is gone and now moving 2 times the CFM of the OEM fan.

I should know how well this works tomorrow as the temps are heading to near 100F again.

There seems to be a lot of owners that have had to make mods to their 'side-vent' refers. There are a lot of posts in the 23 threads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Instld Rfr Fans 8-12.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	375723  
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote