Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 AM   #1

Saratoga Springs , New York
Question Contemplating Bambi

Hi Folks,

My name is Johnny Miller and I'm contemplating buying either an Airstream Bambi 16 or 19. This will be my first travel trailer.

Here's what I want to do.
I'm an adventure research consultant who plans kayaking events and writes a guide book in New York state. So I've decided to use an Airstream as my office. I want to be able to use it year round. Are they warm enough in the winter? How much should I budget for propane?

On the weekends my wife and new born baby girl will be joining me as we hit the slopes around Vermont.

Tow Vechile
Currently I have a 1999 GMC Safari with 81,000 miles on it. This is my second Chevy van and am a little hesitant about investing in electric breaks and a tow hitch for this vechile, because I don't feel that my GMC is realiable and it doesn't have great fuel efficency. I would like to get some sort of Toyota truck.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Johnny MIller
jmadvenutres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A great big welcome to the Forums, Johnny Miller. You'll find all the info you need here. Use the search function to locate many past posts on the issues that you are asking about.

Here's my read on what you are asking.

For 2 1/2 people, the 19' foot is probably better, especially since you want to work out of it. The 16' does not have separate black and grey water tanks.

Winter camping is possible. Airstreams are really quite cozy if you are set up properly.

If you don't feel that your van is reliable, you definitely need to upgrade. The trailer brake controllers can be moved from one vehicle to another. Make sure that you get plenty of truck for the job. If you don't, you will not like towing. A full size Toyota can probably handle a 19' Bambi, but not much more. Keep in mind that Toyotas come only in a half ton version. Three quarter ton is definitely better for any heavy towing job. All components are beefier on a 3/4 ton truck. Remember that when pulling a heavy tyrailer, towing capability trumps fuel efficiency.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
J.Miller,
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Moosetags. A lot of information here, just use the search. We pull our 25' with a Ford F150 with the tow package. Have had no problems and get 14.5 MPG on the flats. The Toyota will handle it, just make sure your tow rigging is up to par...weight equalizer and anti-sway device are my recommendations.
Enjoy.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
In my opinion, that would be to small of a rig for full timing, I full time alone in a 24 and that is not a bit to big. Scott, at the risk of hijacking the thread could you tell us what motor/transmsion you have in the 150 and maybe your driving habits? That is amazing milage.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hey Johnny,

We are a bit in the same boat. We bought a 19ft Bambi (should have it next weekend I hope! for camping but with the ability to work in (when necessary). I'm hoping it works out well for us. I didn't think the 16ft would have been the best choice for extended camping/working... but thats us.

What guide book do you work on? We pretty much camp exclusively in NY state (ADK land), definately one of the best places to kayak!

No sure about camping in the winter. Somehow salt and aluminum don't sound like a great combo.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote