Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Crestwood , Kentucky
Considerations for a first time buyer

Such a big decision considering an AS. Length, power, TV, age, dealer, etc. Everyone asking how you are going to use it(good questions but sometimes you simply don't know). I live in Louisville so dealers are Wahlberg and Woodland.(ohio/indiana. KY would never allow AS in) Seems like dealer is important. TV big, but we can pull 9,600lbs and associated tongue weight. 16 Caravel ducted and upgraded from Bambi, however AS beds are "climb over". I think twin is way to go in the FC, but you lose the wrap around rear window. But, gain dual axel. Plus I'd have to buy new so looking at 100k. For 60k I can get a used Caravel(2021 and upgraded flooring) but afraid I'll tire of climbing over and all convenient cooking inside(smell). The Horizon Sol looks good with outside kitchen and better wetbath, but cmon, it's no AS.(but new it's 40k) In our 50s, adult kids, weekend warriors probs. Should we get the baked potato and see what happens, or wait a few years for the 2023 Twins to be affordable? Shore power vs boondocking, simply don't know.
skarskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarskib View Post
Such a big decision considering an AS. Length, power, TV, age, dealer, etc. Everyone asking how you are going to use it(good questions but sometimes you simply don't know). I live in Louisville so choices are Wahlberg and Woodland. Seems like dealer is important. TV big, but we can pull 9,400lbs and associated tongue weight. 16 Caravel ducted and upgraded from Bambi, however AS beds are "climb over". I think twin is way to go in the FC, but you lose the wrap around rear window. But, gain dual axel. Plus I'd have to buy new so looking at 100k. For 60k I can get a used Caravel(2021 and upgraded flooring) but afraid I'll tire of climbing over and all convenient cooking inside(smell). The Horizon Sol looks good with outside kitchen and better wetbath, but cmon, it's no AS.(but new it's 40k) In our 50s, adult kids, weekend warriors probs. Should we get the baked potato and see what happens, or wait a few years for the 2023 Twins to be affordable? Shore power vs boondocking, simply don't know.
If "you don't know" how is it you think "we would know"? If your purchasing new, yes, dealer is important to get to know. Also, you can go/spend time in several different model AS's at a new dealer. (tip- after you understand the features of an AS, ask sales guy to leave you alone with your partner so you can spend time inside alone-check out how you might use it)

Size matters...if you buy too small, and think your going to "compromise" your camping/traveling goals, you will always be thinking about that in the back of your mind....happens to most all of us! Get the size you think will work best for you...purchase slightly used if you can...couple reasons: 1) likely everything works from owner experiences. 2) if you want to change to different model, likely will not loose money. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I think you are on the right track keeping the twin beds in mind and the double axle is a definite plus. I did my boondocking in my younger years so I can't help you there.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Choosing a first RV is definitely a difficult decision. If you haven’t had much RV experience, then it’s hard to know how you’ll use it and what you’ll prioritize. Even if you have a good idea of what you want, life keeps moving and priorities change.

Have you considered renting an RV or two before you buy one? This may give you a better idea of what you want. We initially thought we wanted a Class A RV. We rented one (a gasoline powered, cheap Jayco) and decided we didn’t like it. We then rented a trailer and it was a better fit for us at the time, eventually leading to the purchase of an Airstream. After a few years, things changed in our lives and we traded the Airstream for a Class A diesel pusher. Our needs in 2019 were different than they are in 2023.

“Try before you buy” might not be a bad idea…

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I like Dennis C’s “try before you buy“ idea. Until you get out there and experience different ways to “camp”, different places to go, and different driving experiences you really can’t know. It’s not even certain you will want bigger over time — we downsized. May not even be certain that you want a trailer instead of some self-contained unit.

Renting is a good idea, and buying used also helps (financially) with the freedom to change your mind.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:49 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Crestwood , Kentucky
Good ideas so far. I have rented AS, 16 bambi and 27FC. Loved both for different reasons. I think the two year old option is smart since it seems owners really see all the "warts" and get warranty repair. They also upgrade a lot in the first few years. But, they also want their money out of it. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in dealer since I'll probably buy at least 1 year old.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
To illustrate how personal and timely these decisions are: Dennis C and I both live in Colorado, both had 23’ Airstreams, both liked them. He upsized to a Class A, I downsized to a 16’ International.

The significant question for you is how are you going to use it?

By the way, this is my third Airstream all of which I bought used; I sold the other two and did not lose a penny. No big problem to jump in, learn, and change your mind.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
To illustrate how personal and timely these decisions are: Dennis C and I both live in Colorado, both had 23’ Airstreams, both liked them. He upsized to a Class A, I downsized to a 16’ International.

The significant question for you is how are you going to use it?

By the way, this is my third Airstream all of which I bought used; I sold the other two and did not lose a penny. No big problem to jump in, learn, and change your mind.
That illustrates things really well! Everyone has different needs and preferences.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Never lost money on my AS re-sale's after owning/using for 2 or more years. Thats why I suggest to "new" AS owners to consider a "slightly used" model if your not sure what size/model you think you want...everything from your "use" model, sleeping, lounging, cooking, maneuvering/parking, and of course "towing" decisions can be experienced without purchasing new. Resale within a year or 2 for a different model likely will not hurt your investment $$.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Lessons we learned buying new...don't.

Go to the dealers look and examine everything they have, go to an AS rally look at everything there.

Check here in the classifieds

Then buy a gently used late model, let the first buyer take the depreciation hit along with the new buyer warranty repair blues.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
OK I'll play.

Starting here. You live in Louisville, so in the land of humidity.
AC will be important and that means generally you will be camping where you will have electric hookups. (vs boon docking/off-grid camping. Which is great in the arid west but sucks big time in the land of humidity. So big bucks for solar or a super new rig are less important for you.)

In your 50s with adult kids. Same here. So I would recommend getting a rig big enough to service 4 adults. This I can say from field testing eliminates any of the single axel units. We started with a 22 sport and it will not sleep 4 adults, even if 3 are female and under 5'4". Trust me on this, dad you will be the one sleeping in the cold rainy tent with the wolf in the campground if you go this route.

Twins vs a crawl across bed. Our first unit, that 22 sport had the very amply sized 54 x 80 bed up front, but it was a crawl across bed. It was very comfortable to sleep in, but I do get up a time or two each night. It did disturb my partner as I had to nudge around them to not trample/crush them getting over and back. We now have twins and although they have their own unique downside, for sleeping they are great.

My answer-find a good used 25 foot trailer to start. This is a super popular size and you won't have trouble selling if you decide to get something else. Big enough to sleep 4, shower 4, and big enough for 2 to travel on long trips.

Also-FYI when our adult kids come along on trips we always take 2 vehicles. Makes the trips a lot more fund for every one. Each parent gets to spend 1 on 1 time with each kid. The siblings get to spend time together, and having that extra car is easier for sightseeing once you get to your destination. NO ONE wants to spend their week's vacation crammed into the back seat of a truck.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I’ll second the opinion to buy slightly used.

We bought a very gently used three-year-old trailer. I mean virtually not used at all. Paid about 30% off original list price. Still smelled new. The tires still looked new. It could not have had more than a few nights of use. There was very little wrong with it: broken window arm, broken p-trap in lav, damaged awning head casting. The shower exhaust fan burned out on night one. All easy to source and replace.

What sealed the deal is that we figured we could tow it 1500 miles home and sell it for what we paid for it.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:30 PM   #13

Currently Looking...
Crestwood , Kentucky
Great suggestions. Piggy: what considerations do you have with the twin set up? I don't see any downside as someone that has to get up at night.
Additionally, you can get a deal with a slightly used but it works both ways. That is if you already have one. I have to buy it with owners that are thinking the same thing. I like the advice of selling it if it doesn't work. I think I'm leaning 23 twin in any model I can get a deal.
Buy low sell high, that is my next adventure.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Great suggestions. Piggy: what considerations do you have with the twin set up? I don't see any downside as someone that has to get up at night.
Additionally, you can get a deal with a slightly used but it works both ways. That is if you already have one. I have to buy it with owners that are thinking the same thing. I like the advice of selling it if it doesn't work. I think I'm leaning 23 twin in any model I can get a deal.
Buy low sell high, that is my next adventure.
We have had 1 Queen bed (first 2006 Safari), and 3 different model/size twins since then. Benefits of a twin are many, especially 2 extra outside storage bins, more sleeping surface, more room inside to change/move around, easier to make up beds, and not disturbing your bunk partner "across the room" if/when you have to get up! Used is the way to go for sure, on your first investment in an AS. Your challenge likely if you want a 23', is finding a "twin" model. They are fairly new in that size..think maybe 2020 GT model was first when they started offering twins in that size?
Old 02-12-2023, 10:25 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
No depreciation hit for me.
Rented to decide on the first configuration of our 23fc, bought it used, sold it for $6k more two seasons later, ordered a new 27fbt international from a dealer that gave me 17% off msrp. Today i could sell mine for $30k more than i paid and still be 20% lower than new msrp. You have to buy them right
Buy what you love and you will love it for years, no regrets
Old 02-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with a single axle. The queen bed is “fun” anyway. Love the ease of a small unit. Everything is a trade off.

Quote:
Such a big decision considering an AS. Length, power, TV, age, dealer, etc. Everyone asking how you are going to use it(good questions but sometimes you simply don't know). I live in Louisville so dealers are Wahlberg and Woodland.(ohio/indiana. KY would never allow AS in) Seems like dealer is important. TV big, but we can pull 9,600lbs and associated tongue weight. 16 Caravel ducted and upgraded from Bambi, however AS beds are "climb over". I think twin is way to go in the FC, but you lose the wrap around rear window. But, gain dual axel. Plus I'd have to buy new so looking at 100k. For 60k I can get a used Caravel(2021 and upgraded flooring) but afraid I'll tire of climbing over and all convenient cooking inside(smell). The Horizon Sol looks good with outside kitchen and better wetbath, but cmon, it's no AS.(but new it's 40k) In our 50s, adult kids, weekend warriors probs. Should we get the baked potato and see what happens, or wait a few years for the 2023 Twins to be affordable? Shore power vs boondocking, simply don't know.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
I personally don't have any issues with the twins.

We like the additional length over the RV queen, we like the overall additional width you gain with 2 twins over 1 queen. We like the better outside storage. We like the aisle to get dressed and get into bedroom storage. We like that each sleeper has some elbow room. We like that if 1 person sleeps hot and one sleeps cold that each can have their covers as they wish, a fan on or not on, a window open or closed.

We didn't like the queen option because it was too short, too narrow (especially since one sleeper wasn't against a wall. We actually felt the 54 inch x 84 long Full in the Bambi 22 with one person against a wall, was better for sleeping comfort than the floating queen. Because the wall lets you scoot right to that edge of the bed.)

And in particular in the 25, we did not like the orientation of the queen for the person against the long wall, because it's so easy to smack your head on the overhead cabinets when you get up.

Some people just really want to sleep in the same bed. Some people also like the queen underbed storage since the beds lift up.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. As to your dilemma, I will share our experiences and conclusions with you. I will not tell you what to do or buy. I will simply tell you what has worked for us over the long haul. We have been Airstreaming for some time. We have logged 2,200 nights of Airstream camping over seventeen years, which is six years spent in the Airstream. We have visited all of the lower forty-eight states, Alaska, and most of Canada. Some of our Airstream Adventures have topped the one hundred day mark.

We started out in 2006 with a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB with a queen bed. We were both in our 50's then and our boys were already gone. We were not even sure that we would like RVing. We hit the road and never looked back. Airstreaming has been the greatest adventure of our lives. We generally stay away from the Interstates and travel the back roads almost exclusively. We enjoy visiting the small towns and exploring the nooks and crannies of this great country.

We traveled in Old Lucy (the 2005) for about seven years. On a whim in 2013, we decided to downsize and traded Old Lucy on a slightly used 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB which became Little Lucy. We traveled extensively in Little Lucy for about a year and 150 nights. She worked well for us, but we missed Old Lucy's two door refrigerator/freezer and 40 gallon black tank. We found that Little Lucy was not as conducive to our camping style.

In October of 2014, We traded Little Lucy on a new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB with twin beds. By the way, Little Lucy traded for $2,000 more that we had paid for her a year earlier. This new Airstream became known as New Lucy.

We have now had New Lucy for over eight years. She has logged 800 nights and 75,000 miles. New Lucy's twin bed arrangement gives us room to dress in the bedroom which we find to be a very nice feature. We would prefer to sleep in the same bed, but twins work better for us in a travel trailer.

New Lucy continues to delight us. She is our home away from home. She is parked out in the alley behind our house and serves as guest quarters when the need arises. She is also a very nice get away spot when certain grandchildren become rowdy. When at home, her refrigerator serves as a very convenient beer fridge.

Take your time and choose wisely. Go to a dealer and sit in the different models. Imagine yourself on a trip and see how each model feels. Best wishes in your endeavor.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:52 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Crestwood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. As to your dilemma, I will share our experiences and conclusions with you. I will not tell you what to do or buy. I will simply tell you what has worked for us over the long haul. We have been Airstreaming for some time. We have logged 2,200 nights of Airstream camping over seventeen years, which is six years spent in the Airstream. We have visited all of the lower forty-eight states, Alaska, and most of Canada. Some of our Airstream Adventures have topped the one hundred day mark.

We started out in 2006 with a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB with a queen bed. We were both in our 50's then and our boys were already gone. We were not even sure that we would like RVing. We hit the road and never looked back. Airstreaming has been the greatest adventure of our lives. We generally stay away from the Interstates and travel the back roads almost exclusively. We enjoy visiting the small towns and exploring the nooks and crannies of this great country.

We traveled in Old Lucy (the 2005) for about seven years. On a whim in 2013, we decided to downsize and traded Old Lucy on a slightly used 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB which became Little Lucy. We traveled extensively in Little Lucy for about a year and 150 nights. She worked well for us, but we missed Old Lucy's two door refrigerator/freezer and 40 gallon black tank. We found that Little Lucy was not as conducive to our camping style.

In October of 2014, We traded Little Lucy on a new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB with twin beds. By the way, Little Lucy traded for $2,000 more that we had paid for her a year earlier. This new Airstream became known as New Lucy.

We have now had New Lucy for over eight years. She has logged 800 nights and 75,000 miles. New Lucy's twin bed arrangement gives us room to dress in the bedroom which we find to be a very nice feature. We would prefer to sleep in the same bed, but twins work better for us in a travel trailer.

New Lucy continues to delight us. She is our home away from home. She is parked out in the alley behind our house and serves as guest quarters when the need arises. She is also a very nice get away spot when certain grandchildren become rowdy. When at home, her refrigerator serves as a very convenient beer fridge.

Take your time and choose wisely. Go to a dealer and sit in the different models. Imagine yourself on a trip and see how each model feels. Best wishes in your endeavor.

Brian

Excellent breakdown. Didn’t think of extra space getting dressed. Sleeping together nice but we wont be full timers. Love your story.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Just changed my order from a 23flying cloud FBQ to a 25flying cloud with twin beds. I think I will be happier that I did because of the extra storage. Dealer was very cooperative.
Old Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote