Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #1

2006 28' International CCD
Gig Harbor , Washington
Cheers to the Site

After years of lusting we finally took the plunge and purchased a new to us 28' International. Got in late last night from my drive to CA and am ready to immerse myself in manuals to figure everything out. This site has been THE resource that I used to research and learn from all of your experience. The family and I are looking forward to our first trip in the "Silver Fox".

Quick question for the 6.0 PSD owners, while towing do you leave the tow/haul mode engaged all the time or as required? I followed the manuals (and wife's) instructions but it seemed like overkill for the high rpms while flat and level.
pavedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
pavedrvr, welcome to the forums from another Washingtonian! Glad you're here and congratulations on your new Airstream. Be sure to keep an eye out for Northwest area forum rallies - we have a very fun group here.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Welcome to the forums!!
Looking forward to seeing photos of your new Airstream!!

Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
pavedrvr
At first I had the same reservations, especially after my brother who has an Allison suggested that he did not use the tow haul on the Allison unless he was in the mountains. However, after about 10,000 miles of towing, I now use tow haul whenever the trailer is attached.

Except for changing the gear ratios as you are going up through the gears, there is absolutely no difference in RPMs out on relatively flat highways. My rig runs a little under 2000 rpm at 65 MPH regardless of whether tow haul is engaged or not. The transmission is operating in overdrive in either mode. When in hilly or mountainous terrain and when in towns where starting and stopping, the tow haul mode does shift down, but in doing so, it also almost totally saves my brakes as it down shifts to keep the truck and trailer's speed under control when stopping and on descent.

I've carefully kept track of my mileage based upon gallons used and miles driven. I find there is virtually no difference in whether or not tow haul is engaged.

Finally, both the Ford manual and three different mechanics at Ford dealerships all advise that the two haul should be used when towing. The feature is there for a purpose and I figure I might as well use it.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Welcome to the forum. I visited Gig Harbor about 10 years ago and WOW, what a beautifull place! Did did you have to tow the Silver Fox over that big 'ol bridge? I'll bet that was an adventure!

Enjoy and welcome.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings and welcome to the forum-

If you are towing, guess what? Keep it in tow. Sounds too simple but that's how it is supposed to be. Have lots of fun and post lots of pictures.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Tow Haul mode

I will punch in the tow mode when in hilly areas. The altered acceleration is great. Slowing down makes me think the transmission will break. It down shifts very abruptly (to help with braking) and so quickly that it sometimes makes the tires bark. Ford dealer says, "that's why they call it Super Duty". Yeah, right. Wait until we need warranty repair and see what they say.

If you have smooth shifting going up and down thru the gears, I would use it; especially with the larger models. Our 6.0 is an '03 and the gearing aspect may have been re-engineered.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #9

2006 28' International CCD
Gig Harbor , Washington
All
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been outside all day giving the rig a thourough cleaning and applying the knowhow from the manual.
Appreciate the info regarding the tow/haul button. My truck shifts pretty smoothly going both up and down hill but it was the high rpm's that I was concerned about. But I guess thats what they do and I will leave it in tow while towing as suggested. I'm probably second guessing Ford's engineers and should just let the truck do as it was designed to do.

Jim and Susan, the trip across the Tacoma Narrows bridge was a white knuckler but I'll need to get used to it as I'll be storing the rig on the Tacoma side. They are building a new bridge that will be ready by the end of the year. Unfortunately it'll be a toll to get across. I wasn't living here when they voted for that one.
pavedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What a bummer, you mean you'll have to pay a toll to get to and from work every day? The Narrows bridge is the only way in and out, right? Are they going to take down the Narrows? Man, what a raw deal! Surely, there is some provision in the law that would allow the residents a break. Gov'ment, ya can't live with it, ya can't live without it.

Hey, get a picture of the Silver Fox on that historic bridge before it goes away!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote