Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Courtenay , British Columbia
Question Canadian Wanting to Buy in the US

Hello
When I was 9 years old, my father, who was in the Canadian Air Force, was sent on a course in Marietta, Georgia. Our family stayed in an airstream trailer at Red Top Mountain Park for two months that summer (1959) while my Dad took a course at the Lougheed-Douglas plant on jet engines. I remember fondly the big silver trailers all lined up in this beautiful green-treed park. Now, 45 years later, I am still in love with airstreams and would like to purchase a good used (not necessarily vintage) or new airstream. They are very expensive to buy in Canada! Somehow the dealers have not caught up with the new higher value of our Canadian dollar. Could anyone out there give me suggestions on the closest Washington or Oregon or Montana dealership that would sell airstreams to Canadians from the West Coast? I am not sure how the import duties work either and am hoping that a dealership experienced in selling to Canadians could answer those sorts of questions. Thanks to all of you out there.
Maye
Maye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Hi Maye,

Yes the Cdn $$ has finally reached par the first time in over 30 years!

You're quite right, the Cdn retailers will take their time to catch up with the reality of the marketplace. Many were quick to raise prices when the dollar fell back in 2002 - and not so quick to lower prices as the dollar gained strength.

It's actually quite easy to import an Airstream into Canada - NAFTA means that you only pay the same taxes you'd pay if you purchased from a dealer in BC. (GST+PST) So, no import duties. If the trailer is 15+ years old, it doesnt' have to go through the vehicle inspection process when imported. If newer than 15 years, it has to have a letter from Airstream Corp stating that it meets all safety standards.

Check out this website:how to import

George Sutton RV in Eugene OR has sold several trailer to club members in BC - they are very accommodating. Also, have heard some good things about the dealer in Spokane.

Good luck on your search!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome Maye.

Our buddy imported a used Airstream last June and it was a snap. His was vintage but since it's not motorized there were far fewer things to deal with. Just make sure you have all your paperwork in hand, a smile on your face, and they will treat you right at the border. You will find several posts on this Forum on importing an Airstream into Canada.

I've also read many very positive comments on the Spokane Airstream dealer.

Barry
Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would definately talk to AS of Spokane (509) 534-8599. Avoid Bretz. They are only interested in your money in thier pockets.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Can be done

Hello...
We have bought here in Canadan and sold in the US and have bought in the US and brought it home to Canada... not difficult to do..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Maye,

Be sure to check the closet tag in some single axle trailers. The US versions have an axle rating that is less than Canada's CSA rating, meaning you will less Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) with full fluids, water/propane. Remeber, options have added weight to base trailer weights listed in brochures. If you are ordering a trailer in the US for use in Canada, anyone can opt for the CSA rating. I have been told there is a box on the order form the dealer checks.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote