Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Plant City , Florida
I an not giving up...

Ok I think I got the picture attached this time. Let's see if this works...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner--Airstream.pdf (116.0 KB, 89 views)
i00jgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by i00jgn View Post
Ok I think I got the picture attached this time. Let's see if this works...
What kind of driver's license do you have?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Freightliner?

Hi, looks like a Peterbuilt to me! I might do that when my Safari needs new axles. But maybe with a Ford F-650/750.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #44
_

. , .
Quote:
...Why is it "funny" that a guy from Plant City is looking for a trailer?...
hi jeff

it's not that u r looking for a trailer.

it's that u asked about pulling a trailer BEHIND a trailer BEHIND a truck...

that is what many would refer to as a train...

plant city is named after a guy who owned a railway system.

and u are asking about making an a/s choo choo.

yes, it is still funny 2 me, but i'm an old choo choo'n sorta guy.

just HOW MUCH OFFICE space does an insurance executive need?

the publisher of that specific a/s magazine just happened to live full time in a 30 foot 'bunk house model'

with his wife and HOME SCHOOLED child.

and managed to run a publishing business with very little office space. (find his blog and read ALL about it)...

gadgets are mighty small these days.

one could probably run a small country from a laptop with a cell phone and a printer/scanner/fax gizmo.

some form of your question (selling the house and living/working full time in a stream) has been asked 100s,

if not 1000s of times here.

it's nothing that money and some creativity can't solve.

so search the full timing sub forum or some of the others forums for others who have done this OR just asked about it...

THEN, how'bout YOU offering up the ideas and the rest of us can o'pine on the feasibility of your ideas???

the use of an airstream for this "full time mobile life with family and job" is the LEAST important issue really.

and the answer to your original questions about a multi trailer set up has been answered and links provided to EACH state on this...

now, back on the train thing...

a/s did manufacture sleeper cars for train/rail/logging crews.

these were 40-44 ft long or so and are still around. (search old posts)

u could find one of those and have it ALL under one silver roof!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Plant City , Florida
Airstream Train

Yeah, I guess it really would be kinda like an airstream train. Henry B. Plant would be proud. Where there is a will, there is a way...but I do not want to put the family in an unsafe driving condition. Regarding "2airishuman's" question, I need a small office space. Basically a desk with a laptop, multifunction machine (printer/scanner), good quality internet, good phone (cell phone should work fine) and most important, quiet. 99% of my insurance policies are sold over the phone. I sell all over the nation, but rarely see my clients in person. The issue is that I have to have an office that is separated from the living space. If you have had small children, you know that it is hard for them to know when it is work or play time. If they can see me, they figure it it play time. That is why the slide in camper in the back of a pick-up could possibly be feasable. Also, money is an issue. If it was not object, the idea of buying a prevost would be great. But if money was no object, I probably would not be having this conversation. I do need to find an affordable way of doing this. Maybe a double decker airstream?? I saw the skydecks. Those are cool. How could I make a classic airstream into a sky deck. The office could be on the second floor. Think of this...A double decker 345le with 2 sets of bunk beds in the rear(to sleep all 4 kids in one room). Then I could just tow an SUV and the problem would be solved...Um, so how would I do that?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Failure?

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it really would be kinda like an airstream train. Henry B. Plant would be proud. Where there is a will, there is a way...but I do not want to put the family in an unsafe driving condition. Regarding "2airishuman's" question, I need a small office space. Basically a desk with a laptop, multifunction machine (printer/scanner), good quality internet, good phone (cell phone should work fine) and most important, quiet. 99% of my insurance policies are sold over the phone. I sell all over the nation, but rarely see my clients in person. The issue is that I have to have an office that is separated from the living space. If you have had small children, you know that it is hard for them to know when it is work or play time. If they can see me, they figure it it play time. That is why the slide in camper in the back of a pick-up could possibly be feasable. Also, money is an issue. If it was not object, the idea of buying a prevost would be great. But if money was no object, I probably would not be having this conversation. I do need to find an affordable way of doing this. Maybe a double decker airstream?? I saw the skydecks. Those are cool. How could I make a classic airstream into a sky deck. The office could be on the second floor. Think of this...A double decker 345le with 2 sets of bunk beds in the rear(to sleep all 4 kids in one room). Then I could just tow an SUV and the problem would be solved...Um, so how would I do that?
Hi, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but with the way you are thinking, I don't believe you would want to insure yourself.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
But if money was no object, I probably would not be having this conversation. I do need to find an affordable way of doing this. Maybe a double decker airstream?? I saw the skydecks. Those are cool. How could I make a classic airstream into a sky deck. The office could be on the second floor. Think of this...A double decker 345le with 2 sets of bunk beds in the rear(to sleep all 4 kids in one room). Then I could just tow an SUV and the problem would be solved...Um, so how would I do that?
Double decker Airstream?? No way. Top heavy and way too tall for underpasses.

A Skydeck would be a good start.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Okay I am going to weigh in on this one. First this is a ridulous idea. You need to stay where you are now and just do whatever it is you do. Protect your family.
We are both insurance agents and we would have no problem with running a business out of our a/s. We do however have a office -and many, many people like agents that they can visit with in person. We have and do take our office computer to take care of most every day problems, etc when we travel. And if you really need "quiet time" to conduct business, most places have areas that you could make work.
Also and more important it is apparent that you really have no towing experience. Get into heavy winds with just a small trailer and you would know that what you are looking to do is just plain stupid.
Hope that you have plenty of life insurance if you continue on this idea.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Trailer towing a trailer.

A 17 footer, was hooked to a 20 footer, that was hooked to a 22 footer, that was hooked to a 24 footer, that was hooked to a 26 footer, that was hooked to a 28 footer, that was hooked to a 30 footer.

They were Airstreams, and only 167 feet long, not counting the tow vehicle.

Airstream did that as a publicity stunt in California many many years ago, on I-5.

They only went about 15 mph, so no sway problems.

They got busted for it in just a few minutes.

Moral of the stunt?? Publicity, PERIOD.

Yes, it can be done, but only by someone who has a complete disregard for safety of himself as well as others.

There is no way, a trailer pulling a trailer, can be properly rigged for safe carefree towing, PERIOD.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
yes you CAN, but i (and pretty much everyone else one here) wouldn't...

if you need to save money get a SOB camper van and tow a SOB camper trailer... if you got the money get a AS PanAmerica and make the garage your office...
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fulltiming with kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
yes you CAN, but i (and pretty much everyone else one here) wouldn't...

if you need to save money get a SOB camper van and tow a SOB camper trailer... if you got the money get a AS PanAmerica and make the garage your office...
I agree with Flmgrip. The PanAmerican is the best choice - really segregated areas with an internal door.

If you haven't seen this model there's one on www.colonialairstream.com right now.

HIJACKING and being an opinionated witch - more than A BIT...

My take on gypsy children - BAD idea - unless it's a short term thing. Travel can be a fun adventure, but it's a lousy LIFE for a kid. My own mother and all four of her sisters bore lifelong scars from being moved 19 times in 10 years during the Depression. All five had real problems bonding with people, even their own kids. They were all "survivors" of life's tragedies. All but my mother ran away from home (even mom probably married my father so she could leave "respectably"). They ended up scattered all over the country and I didn't meet most of my cousins until I was an adult... but we all started comparing notes at the big family reunion. Conclusion? We laughed ourselves silly talking about how wierd our parents were... but then the stories got less and less funny...

Homeschooling itself is fine. My sister did it and the kids turned out nice, but her kids belonged to the local "Y", attended the same church for their whole lives, and had friends in the neighborhood. You and your wife may be fantastic parents, but "it takes a village" is really true. Your plan is a disservice to children who are too young and inarticluate (and who love you and need you too much) to tell you what you're doing to them.

Your kids need cousins or neighbors, and opportunities to play with others. Social rituals from bobbing for apples to playing tag or kick the can with other children ARE NOT TRIVIAL - Childs PLAY is really Child's WORK. Learning to be a social being has to be done early.

I met a really lovely woman several years ago who had been raised in a family that must have been a cross between the Waltons and the Duggers. She admitted that in many ways it was idyllic, but she was utterly unprepared for college except academically. She had NEVER met anyone who wasn't a Baptist - and wasn't even aware that there were more than one flavor of Baptist. She actually failed out because she couldn't make the adjustment and had to try again a year later.

Paula
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Not long ago I flat towed my Jeep Liberty with a motorcycle trailer behind it behind my 40 ft deisel motorhome. Most states allow 75 to 80' total length but you'll need a heck of a tow rig for a trailer/tailer combo.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
towed a Bambi behind my Airstream Interstate class B . Very easy and had no problems in RV parks. Unhook the Bambi and drive the B anywhere. Office could be in either unit zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #54
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Okay, I am really enjoying everyone's responsed to my predicament. ... Also, I am for real and I am not writing for a certain A/S magazine, but maybe I should. This could definitely be an interesting article. I need to find a solution so I can keep the dream alive. If I can sell my house without taking a big loss, I am ready to hit the road, that is if I can have a comfortable living space for the family, and an office....
I'm not necessarily buying any of this (alt.syntax.tactical would be proud of this thread) but I'll still play along for fun.

1) Does your wife drive? Can she drive a tow vehicle? Why not?

2) How often are you going to move?

3) In what sorts of places will you stay? Campgrounds? Somewhere else?

4) How long do you expect to do this?

5) What does your wife think of this? Has she thought about dishes? Or LAUNDRY? Or do you have one of those kinds of marriages where YOU do all that stuff?

I really do have difficulty, ultimately, with lifestyle choices that leave four kids sleeping accommodations being the gaucho and dinette on more or less of a permanent basis. Temporarily while away from home, sure; for a year while out exploring, sure, at least with older kids; but permanently? To me it falls short of the commitment an educated, capable, financially secure father should have towards his children.

Now if we were to hypothetically say that you're stuck with this, that you are the "wings in the air" troubleshooter, or a project manager for some construction place that does bridges or something, and you have to move around the country for work, or maybe you are an entertainer struggling with the difficult decision whether to tour with your family or tour alone, or perhaps you hypothetically have a problem involving outstanding warrants, then there are ways this sort of thing can be done.

These forms of travel do not, however, involve Airstreams.

You'll want to visit the Prevost web site and take a look at their 45' buses, with slide outs. I'm confident that they could set one up with three bedrooms, all custom. You'll still need to drag a Bambi or something for the office.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Not long ago I flat towed my Jeep Liberty with a motorcycle trailer behind it behind my 40 ft deisel motorhome. Most states allow 75 to 80' total length but you'll need a heck of a tow rig for a trailer/tailer combo.
You might want to take a look at this before you take that combo down the road again.

Carol

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
You might want to take a look at this before you take that combo down the road again.

Carol

Uh Ohhh looks like my friends with 45 tag axles with their TOADS in Maryland are in big trouble, go figure. Good thing I sold my MH and Jeep for a nice 22 and an FJ but I had to sell my BMW RT as well
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #57
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Uh Ohhh looks like my friends with 45 tag axles with their TOADS in Maryland are in big trouble, go figure. Good thing I sold my MH and Jeep for a nice 22 and an FJ but I had to sell my BMW RT as well
You sold your RT! the other Vehicles I can under stand but the RT! Nooooooooooooo!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post

Carol

What's with Michigan and 59'?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

Plant City , Florida
You guys are great. Thanks for all of the ideas. I am still looking for one of those old 44' airstream sleeper cars from one of the suggestions. I have not been able to find anything using a google search. A PanAmerican is a good idea, but not big enough for 6 people and an office. FYI, many of you must think I am a little off...possibly forgot to take some meds or something. To put you at ease, my thought was to make this a family adventure for about 1 year or so, not a permanent way of life. So has anyone actually seen one of these 44' sleeper cars?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #60
_

. , .
Quote:
...To put you at ease, my thought was to make this a family adventure for about 1 year or so, not a permanent way of life...
well THAT does seem a little more plausible as an idea...

Quote:
...So has anyone actually seen one of these 44' sleeper cars?
YES i've seen one of the railroad cars last year in north east arkansas and it was 4 sale.

here are some of the threads on these with COOL pictures and a bit o'history...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...per-25422.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f505...ale-40062.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...oad-47602.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...-it-23046.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...eam-47612.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-32905.html
_________

another thor company (citation?)

built a 41-44 ft travel trailer (with 2 slides?) in ~2003, and these are still around and 4sale.
_________

here's another recent thread on this 'large family' travel issue...

with VERY GOOD LINKS to others doing this and their 'stream solutions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-so-60806.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote