Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
TCY

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Venice , California
Can a Tesla X Tow a Caravel 22FB? HELP!

Hi everybody. I am Tony. I have a question. Is it a good idea for a 2019 Tesla X long range to tow a Caravel 22FB? I want to drive safely but it's close to the maximum towing capacity of the car, 5000 lbs. I could use some good advice from people who know. Thanks everyone!
TCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Tony.

FYI there is a somewhat dated thread about towing with a Model X:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-x-160951.html

The OP of that thread recently posted this update on another thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2471259

You might want to check these threads also, plus the Towing etc. sub-forum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...nt-212495.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...le-169483.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...es-200767.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
You should be fine...with a few caveats*

There are plenty of Tesla owners who tow AS's. Usually the late 201x's Sport 22. Similar specs to the Caravel. Many switched from the OEM hitch to an aftermarket hitch receiver.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-2194838

With a rated range of 325 miles, expect about 160-170 miles off of a full charge. So about three hours of driving between charges.

Search the teslamotorsclub forum for anything by Ohmman. He is also on these forums and may chime in.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-1893314

*The GVWR is at or below the recommended max of 5000lb. The hitch weight of 525 is just above the weight recommendation of 500lbs.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
You should be fine...with a few caveats*

There are plenty of Tesla owners who tow AS's. Usually the late 201x's Sport 22. Similar specs to the Caravel. Many switched from the OEM hitch to an aftermarket hitch receiver.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-2194838

With a rated range of 325 miles, expect about 160-170 miles off of a full charge. So about three hours of driving between charges.

Search the teslamotorsclub forum for anything by Ohmman. He is also on these forums and may chime in.

*The GVWR is at or below the recommended max of 5000lb. The hitch weight of 525 is just above the weight recommendation of 500lbs.
Can you discuss how range is effected by climbing and speed? If I drive it with no concern for range, what numbers could be expected?
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep then everything goes bad
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look at a "normal" engine, going up a long grade with a full load can drop the MPG by maybe 3:1.( just how much depends on a lot of things). If you then coast down the other side (using no fuel) that helps out the average. Since you still have drag involved, the coasting part never quite seems to be as good as it might be ....

Best guess: Running through the mountains cuts things by about 20 to 30%.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
. . . the coasting part never quite seems to be as good as it might be ....
. . .
Best guess: Running through the mountains cuts things by about 20 to 30%.
Does this include the possibility that the Tesla X here might actually generate electricity going downhill, as opposed to just "coasting?"

Old 05-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
. . .

. . .
Or check his thread and recent update per this earlier post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . . somewhat dated thread about towing with a Model X:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-x-160951.html

The OP of that thread recently posted this update on another thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2471259
. . .
[click on orange arrow to go to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
I won't take delivery of the Rivian until next year, so no, I still have our 22 Sport. And for all I know, we'll keep it. I did upgrade our X in October of last year to a Long Range+ model, which has helped a lot with towing range.
[emphasis added]

Happy trails,
Old 05-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY View Post
Hi everybody. I am Tony. I have a question. Is it a good idea for a 2019 Tesla X long range to tow a Caravel 22FB? I want to drive safely but it's close to the maximum towing capacity of the car, 5000 lbs. I could use some good advice from people who know. Thanks everyone!
Are you [the OP here] following this discussion? Your post count is still "1." Perhaps you have further feedback from the dealer and other sources about the Long Range+ model mentioned by ohmman?

https://www.tesla.com/modelx

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Does this include the possibility that the Tesla X here might actually generate electricity going downhill, as opposed to just "coasting?"

Yup
Old 05-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
As an electric car owner, I like the idea of towing a small Airstream with an EV. My biggest concern is recharging after arrival at a campsite. If you get to a campsite with a battery state-of-charge less than 50%, then what do you do? Can an EV be charged from a 30A or 50A RV power source? What if you’re boondocking?

I think it can be done, but it requires many sacrifices. I don’t recall seeing any Level 3 DC rapid chargers or Tesla Super Chargers at campgrounds, or even Level 2 chargers for that matter. I’ve got a dedicated 240V, 50A Level 2 charger in my garage, and that generally charges my vehicle in 8 - 10 hours. Level 3 DC rapid chargers are typically 480V, 100A or more, and they’ll charge my vehicle in a little under an hour.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
As an electric car owner, I like the idea of towing a small Airstream with an EV. My biggest concern is recharging after arrival at a campsite. If you get to a campsite with a battery state-of-charge less than 50%, then what do you do? Can an EV be charged from a 30A or 50A RV power source? What if you’re boondocking?

I think it can be done, but it requires many sacrifices. I don’t recall seeing any Level 3 DC rapid chargers or Tesla Super Chargers at campgrounds, or even Level 2 chargers for that matter. I’ve got a dedicated 240V, 50A Level 2 charger in my garage, and that generally charges my vehicle in 8 - 10 hours. Level 3 DC rapid chargers are typically 480V, 100A or more, and they’ll charge my vehicle in a little under an hour.
You can charge at the campsite if the campsite operator permits it.

You won’t generally find Superchargers at campsites, just like you won’t find fuel pumps.

What you may have in your garage is a connection point, not a charger. My charger is built into my EV. It just needs an electrical adapter.

If your fast charger takes an hour, why doesn’t your 50 amp charger (to use your numbers, at half the voltage, and half the current) take 4 hours? Does your vehicle limit the charge rate?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C;
Can an EV be charged from a 30A or 50A RV power source?
Yes we have done it with our Telsa (charge at campground). Tesla plugs into a standard 14-50 NEMA outlet. You can pull 240v @ 40A. Can use a 30A adapter too but slower, obviously. I have a 14-50 at home too with 50A service and that is what we use to charge on a daily basis.

Quote:
What if you’re boondocking?
Then use use an ICE tow vehicle or drive into town to get topped up.

Quote:
I’ve got a dedicated 240V, 50A Level 2 charger in my garage, and that generally charges my vehicle in 8 - 10 hours
That seems long if you are pulling 240v @ 40A unless you are at 0% and going to 100% on a 100kw pack, which would make sense. 240v@40A will deliver 32 miles range per charge hour.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You can charge at the campsite if the campsite operator permits it.

You won’t generally find Superchargers at campsites, just like you won’t find fuel pumps.

What you may have in your garage is a connection point, not a charger. My charger is built into my EV. It just needs an electrical adapter.

If your fast charger takes an hour, why doesn’t your 50 amp charger (to use your numbers, at half the voltage, and half the current) take 4 hours? Does your vehicle limit the charge rate?
I’ve got a NEMA 6-50 240V, 50A outlet on my garage wall which was installed by my electrician. I purchased a ChargePoint Flex Level 2 networked charger, which is plugged into that outlet and used to connect my vehicle using a J-1772 connector.

On my home charger, I typically see charging speeds averaging 7.6 kW. I believe this is limited by my vehicle’s onboard charge controller. When I connect to a Level 3 charger, I use a CCS connector (it adds two more power contacts to the J-1772 connector) which allows for speeds up to 100 kW. This is also limited by my vehicle’s charge controller. My car is a 2020 model, and the new 2021+ models of the same vehicle allow up to 350 kW when using a Level 3 charger.

In any case, you can see that the Level 3 charger is roughly 13x faster than the Level 2 charger if both are running at maximum capacity. In the real world, I don’t usually see 100 kW speeds at a Level 3 charger. It’s usually 50 - 70 kW. That said, I typically use Level 3 chargers when I’m out at a restaurant or shop. The car is almost always fully charged before I’m done shopping or eating.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 05-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Can a Tesla X Tow a Caravel 22FB? HELP!

Quote:
I’ve got a NEMA 6-50 240V, 50A outlet on my garage wall which was installed by my electrician. I purchased a ChargePoint Flex Level 2 networked charger, which is plugged into that outlet and used to connect my vehicle using a J-1772 connector.

On my home charger, I typically see charging speeds averaging 7.6 kW. I believe this is limited by my vehicle’s onboard charge controller.

Yes, you are only pulling 32amps on your 50A connection. You can go higher with the Tesla wall mount charger. I run at 40A (programmable). But I digress. Apologies for taking this off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled program.....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes we have done it with our Telsa (charge at campground). Tesla plugs into a standard 14-50 NEMA outlet. You can pull 240v @ 40A. Can use a 30A adapter too but slower, obviously. I have a 14-50 at home too with 50A service and that is what we use to charge on a daily basis.

Then use use an ICE tow vehicle or drive into town to get topped up.

That seems long if you are pulling 240v @ 40A unless you are at 0% and going to 100% on a 100kw pack, which would make sense. 240v@40A will deliver 32 miles range per charge hour.
Our charger provides about 21 miles per hour at 7.6 kW. The car has a 90 kWh battery, and we usually charge it in the mid 20% SOC range. A 10 hour charge gives us about 210 miles of range, which is about 80% of the range when fully charged.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 05-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes, you are k my pulling 32amps on your 50A connection. You can go higher with the Tesla wall mount charger. I run at 40A (programmable). But I digress. Apologies for taking this off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled program.....
I also apologize for the OT comments! My ChargePoint Flex is adjustable through the app, but the Jaguar’s onboard charge controller is not. I wish I could get 40 or 50A.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 05-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Yup
Thanks Bob.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
If you look at the tow rating of the X, the Caravel 22FB would be slightly over the X tongue weight rating (by 25#). So, in theory, you shouldn't tow it with an X.

That being said, I would personally do it provided you swap the OEM hitch receiver with the Draw-Tite model compatible with the X. I would not be comfortable going over the hitch rating with a removable receiver like the X has out of the factory.

I purchased my Bambi 22FB because it was the maximum my X could handle (500 of TW). I had looked hard at the Caravel version of that trailer and really wanted it for the ducted AC, inverter, etc. but in the end went with the Bambi because, on paper at least, it didn't exceed the tow ratings.

Fast forward to now. I've exceeded the 500 TW rating by a little a few times and the X, outfitted with the Draw-Tire receiver, handled it with no problem whatsoever.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Caravel 22FB.

But again, that's just me. You need to do what you are comfortable with and, in theory, shouldn't exceed your vehicle's ratings.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would suggest that considering a receiver upgrade is "on the list" once you get past about 80% of its ratings. That's not saying you *must* replace it, only that you need to at least take a look. If it's marginal then replace it or beef it up.

The Tesla is in no way unique in terms of having being "receiver challenged" when you are talking about these trailers. It's just how the auto folks do things .....

Bob

Tags
caravel