Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Buying a second vintage Airstream...am I CRAZY?

So, we are on the verge of "completing" the renovation of our beloved 1964 Bambi II after 10 years. We have enjoyed amazing memories in our Bambi, including two trips to Disney (Fort Wilderness Campground is amazing!), a great trip north through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, and countless trips to the beach and to PA State Parks (we spent 30 nights camping this past Covid-Summer). All the little trailer still needs to be complete is a hot water heater, city water inlet, and pex plumbing to connect everything. We have been using the water tank and pump with great success.

We fit four into a 17' trailer, and I have always been proud of that fact. Bunk beds make it possible. That said, the girls are getting bigger and are starting to think about "privacy."

So, the unofficial search was on for a vintage Airstream , a bit larger, that would not break the bank (I didn't even tell my wife I was looking). We found a nice project (a pretty solid, mostly original trailer) in a 1961 24' TradeWind double. It is five hours away. It needs a lot of love. The current owner has been a FANTASTIC communicator and has already gotten new tires installed for its trip to us. We will go up and retrieve it as soon as his DMV paperwork comes through.

So, we embark on another project. This one is more manageable than the Bambi was right off the bat. It can be towed. The Bambi, with its rusted tongue/front frame came home on a flatbed construction trailer. Still...am I ready for this? Can I do it? Am I CRAZY?

We have great vision for the trailer, its 3(!!) rooms, and slight modifications to be made. I have already begun a search for parts I know I will need. VTS is out of pretty much everything. So, we will keep looking. And while we look, and envision, and rip, and tear, and rebuild...we will keep taking the Bambi out to camp until this one is "done."

Which could take forever.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
If you’re considered crazy, I’m considered crazier. If you have the patience, place and resources, go for it. I have a lot of hobbies I enjoy. Renovating a vintage trailer covers a lot of those hobbies. We’re now looking for a 40s Liner, a Curtiss Wright Clipper or an “alien eyes” Silver Streak for my last project. Have fun on the renovation, stay safe and start a thread of your project with a lot of pictures.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Pa: Yep, you are crazy. But I'm in the same boat. I had a 66 Trade Wind 24' twin that I renovated. Then I did quite a bit of work to my son's 69 Globetrotter 21'. It has a rather awkward floor plan from the factory. Work will continue this winter. Then I purchased a 75 Overlander 27'. I finished that one but I see I will need bunkbeds for the grandkids. Finally, my friend and I renovated his 76 Sovereign 31' last winter. I enjoy working on these vintage Airstreams and learning all about them. I'm no craftsman, but I can get the project done and the trailer back on the road.

An Airstream travel trailer is a great family experience. Renovating a 61 Trade Wind to your family's needs is well worth the effort. More fond memories.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Considering you waited 10 years to expand your collection, I think you've shown considerable self control. You can always blame it on multiple 2 footitis attacks.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Nope...not crazy. Welcome to the "multi-project family"!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Bottom line, if you have more campers than you can camp in at one time, you are a collector... I'll leave "crazy" between you and your therapist.

I figure it's best to have a comfy airstream (ours is an '06 Safari) for extended travels and rallying, a vintage (a '63 Avion 20') for the Tin Can Tourist/ vintage rallies and short weekends, and a project at hand (a '66 Avion C-10 slide-in truck camper) to satisfy the need to putter and restore.

OK, yeah, crazy....
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Meh. Sanity is optional around here. At our house “normal” is a setting on the dryer...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote