Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Question Brand Spanking Newbie to This Whole New World!

Hello All! We just brought home our new baby. (New to us) 1965 22' Safari. NOW WHAT?! It hasn't been used in over a year, but is in excellent condition. No major repairs to be made, just some extensive cleaning and renovating to make her ours. But where do I start? We are tent campers, and have never had an RV/Travel Trailer, etc. I have someone lined up to do the cushions and curtains, we bought new flooring at IKEA, and I have a lot of cleaning supplies that are aching to be used, I just don't know where to start. Do we need to take everything out to install the floor?
We passed the first test-getting her home, and I am ready to go camping this weekend, but I know that there is a lot to do before we get to that point. After spending almost 12 hours with 2 small children, our friends 4Runner to haul it, I am a little overwhelmed this evening and just looking for some help from the experts to get me started. Great resource, and wonderful people!
vkettell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
First thing you should do is check the entire thing out for leaks. Window gaskets unless recently replaced are probably shot, as are the joints between the window frames and the skin of the trailer. Those joints if bad would need to be cleaned out and sealed with Vulkem (not silicone). The window gaskets are available from places like www.inlandrv.com or www.vintagetrailersupply.com just to name a couple. You'll want to check your floor around the perimeter of the trailer, particularly the last foot or so of the back of the trailer with a screw driver or ice pick to make sure the wood isn't rotten, if so you'll want to repair these areas before covering them up.

If your axle hasn't been replaced it is probably bad. Andy at Inland RV has an article on that website to show you how to check your axle, he sells basically exact replacements and a few other manufacturers sell axles that can be ordered to close specs to fit as well.

Then it is going through systems like brakes, bearings, tires, then your water system and propane system (and electrical) to make sure connections are tight, no leaks etc and get your appliances up and running.

The key is to make sure you do the things first that might result in having to take things apart so you don't undo any great work you've already done.

There are a lot of great threads on all these projects on the forums. Set aside a couple days and just read read read the content on here and you'll learn a lot!

Welcome, sounds like a great rig, post some photos!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Don't be scared, but Scott & Megan are right...you have got some checking to do! This Forum is an unbelievable source of info, and they gave you a brief overview of the most critical functions. You may find some surprises, but it will be worth it!

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the forum. You've got a great year and model to begin "Streaming".
No need to be intimidated by anything. We're here to help. Just make sure she's roadworthy and the rest will sort itself out in time.
Don't forget to check out the Rally listings. Drop into one nearby and you'll find plenty of new friends willing to give advise, clue you in on the Vintage quirks, or lend a hand with a repair.
Number one tip for Vintage first timers; connect your Blue Boy or your tub will fill with wash water within minutes. We've all done it, it's almost a right of passage.

Good Luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
its even better when you have all your kid's sippie cups, his pillow, favorite cartoon character sleeping bag and your towels stacked in tub....
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Welcome, and get cleaning!

There is a Rally in a couple of weeks! Just 2 hours and 46 minutes north. Go over the "forums Rally's" list or click on the event calendar and look for the "Metro Detroit Rally" you will find all the help you need there!

Have a great time in your new found addiction!

Mike

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Lots of great advice! Our Safari has been modified through the years, and does not have a bath tub at all, and the original sink and toilet have been replaced also. We were thinking that we would restore this first, then we could discover some other things in the process (like what a Blue Boy is!) I have ordered a manual off Ebay, so that should help even more. Anyone have a '65 bathroom they would like to get rid of, or an air conditioner?! I have been looking at the classifieds, but just thought I would through that out there. Today my goal is to clean and air out-there are some funky odors going on in there, and I am a bit afraid of what I may discover. I have been reading some on here, and I am aware of what the odors could be-I still need to do more reading, but after our day yesterday, I just needed some advice ASAP and that provided the motivation to keep going today! Thanks again! Oh, and after our VERY long 300 mile trip yesterday (only towing it 150 miles back), we will have to see about the rally in a few weeks, but it is on our radar!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I'd go with a new A/C unit, we've had a carrier low profile for several years now and been very pleased with it. Best price we've seen was recommended to us by a few forums members, Family RV which has a store on ebay, here's their current one NEW LOW PROFILE CARRIER 13.5K RV,AC,AIR CONDITIONER:eBay Motors (item 140329867938 end time Jul-07-09 18:30:16 PDT)

A Blue boy is basically a blue "tote" on wheels that acts as an external water tank to catch the gray water. Portable Waste Holding Tanks on Sale shows a photo of them, not sure they have the best price, they were just the first one I found with google.

Remember, basically anything you discover can be fixed and most likely by you with a little reading and help from others. Do you have a few photos of your new addition?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
I have pictures, but can't figure out how to post them. Have found more things (of course) that we were not aware of originally. Found a tub and sink to put back in, will buy a new toilet, vent on top of fridge is missing, so there is some water damage that my husband is taking care of today. We are removing everything to check the subfloor, then will fix and put in the flooring from IKEA. Next question-can you paint the interior? What paint is recommended? I will do a search, but sometimes there is a lot of info to sort through before finding the answer to what you are looking for. For instance-ours did not come with a battery-what kind/how big, etc do we need? Sorry to be such a newbie, but as I mentioned, we were tent campers and know NOTHING about any type of rv's. We are learning as we go, and a to be a smart person, you may not know all the answers, but you know where to go to get them! That my new friends, is you! Thanks again!! Veronica
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Ok, I will try to post pictures, sorry if it doesn't work. I did get them uploaded to 1960's Airstream Trailers, I believe.

I think I got it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 Safari 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	84050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 015.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	84051  

Name:	Airstream 012.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	84053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 023.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	84055  

Attached Images

Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
It looks like a good find! Congratulations!

You will want a "deep cycle" battery also called "RV/ marine" battery. They are built to run down and recharge many times. If the trailer does not have one now you need to measure the compartment it will go into, and note what type of terminals are on the end of the trailer wires. (the digital camera is a great tool) I purchase my batteries from walmart and have good results. (they are everywhere if there is a problem) Others use Sears, Sam's, or an auto parts store. Buy the largest Deep cycle battery that will fit in the compartment (the bigger the battery the longer it will last while using it).

Yes, the inside can be painted but I am not sure what you have on the walls now. Your 65 will be different than my 72. A search will get you a good result.

We have ALL been the "newbie" at some point and understand.

And another nudge for the metro Detroit Rally, We will be "newbies "there also. It will be worth every penny to have a "panel of experts" to help with your first weekend and they will feed you too!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
I got the paint and things I need for that project, we are actually doing better than I thought in one day considering the wonderful things that we keep finding (latest being an old nest of some sort by the water tank in the dinette area-oh, and the tubes coming in and out of that tank are black!)

My husband is traveling the Detroit Rally weekend, but I may drive up (without the AS) to look around, meet some people, and ask lots of questions. Is that "allowed"?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard...

Great Find..it sure brings back fond memories.

It may seem like a very steep learning curve, but it IS doable.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREAM'N AT THE DOG SHOW WITH BO.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	84063  
Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Don't get overwhelmed.
#1 Make it safe
#2 Make it legal
#3 Go camping and enjoy one of the best "tin tents" there is.
#4 Take notes while camping. 2 lists ... one of needs and one of wants.

Everything doesn't have to be done at once. Enjoy the process. Watch what others are doing.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Don't paint the interior if the original paint can be saved

Welcome to the forums and to the world of Airstreaming!

Looks like your trailer is really in great shape for its age! Hmmmm. . . a 1965 trailer. . . that would be 44 years old, a little too old for a spanking!

I wanted to second some earlier posts and add a couple of things.

If you need to add an air conditioner by all means buy a new one. They have gotten a lot better over the years--lower profile, quieter, more efficient.

In 1965 the original interior paint would have been Zolatone, a textured paint that is nearly indestructible. It's still being made--for things like the inside of aluminum boats. Unless a previous owner has already painted over it, or the old Zolatone is in bad shape, I would not recommend painting it with anything. Old Zolatone can be cleaned up like new by scrubbing with strong detergent and bleach, or scouring powder, if necessary. (May be necessary, especially if the previous owners were smokers.)

If you are in the process of removing interior furnishings to give it a good cleaning and inspect the plywood floor, I kind of doubt you are going to be ready to take it on the road in a week or two. Just a good cleaning takes a while, as you are discovering.

If you want to come over, see some Airstreams, and hang out with Airstreamers, the Miami Valley and Auglaize Valley Units of the WBCCI (the Airstream owners association) are having a joint rally at Pasttime Park in Plain City, Ohio July 30 - August 3 in conjunction with the Dublin Irish Festival. That's only about 25 miles from you. I'm guessing we will probably have 20 trailers or so. If you would like to come over for a visit, drop me a private message and we can exchange cell phone numbers. Best to coordinate timing since many of us will be partying over at the festival at any given time.

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ohio forums members

Hi! Welcome to the forums! There are alot of Forums members that are active here in OH. We welcome you to join us! There is a thread that we post on to try and keep each other posted on where we are going/doing around the state. Here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...-50587-14.html

Several of us are headed to the Metro-Detroit rally July 31-Aug. 2. But there are several OH members that are near to you down in the Columbus area. I am sure that you can search the members list by state and find them, or just pop on over to the OH thread and check us out! Again, welcome!!

Lou and Larry...30 mi. sw of Cleveland in beautiful LaGrange
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkettell View Post
I got the paint and things I need for that project, we are actually doing better than I thought in one day considering the wonderful things that we keep finding (latest being an old nest of some sort by the water tank in the dinette area-oh, and the tubes coming in and out of that tank are black!)

My husband is traveling the Detroit Rally weekend, but I may drive up (without the AS) to look around, meet some people, and ask lots of questions. Is that "allowed"?
Yes it is allowed, I don't know what this group would NOT allow , But I think that Nuvi has a event closer that will have much the same info. Do them both if you wish. With or without your As. in tow you are still an AIRSTREAMER!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Talking

Well, sorry to disappoint, but even after my best attempt at scrubbing and scouring, she still had that "not so fresh feeling", so we ended up painting her last night. Went with Kiltz oil based primer, and Behr Anonymous, which is a medium gray. We are going for the Buckeye scarlet & gray theme in the end. After finishing last night around 12A, we were wondering what we were thinking, but after a decent night's sleep (our kid's get up @ 6A EVERYDAY), this morning we were extremely happy with the paint job. Inspected the sub floor, couple of questionable areas, but over all really good shape. We are now ready to put the floor in and start putting her back together. I will post pictures, now that I know how. We always go the the Irish Fest, so Nuvi, I will PM you and get your info, that would be awesome!! Again, thanks for helping me through the first few days! Seems like it has been much longer, but we have made some good progress!
Apparently can't upload photos from iPhone, so I will once I move to my laptop.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
flooring

Hi again! Make sure to research installing flooring. They say it must "float" so that the flex of the trailer going down the road will not wreck it. The PO of our "new to us" 1989 did ours, so we did not have to do it. But we all know that there must be some "tricks" involved in doing it in an Airstream!
To rid our Minuet of the "old" smells we had to remove carpeting, cushions, upholstery and curtains. Then scrub like crazy! Luckily there was no wood anywhere to worry about rot. The little wood in the cabinet endcaps and the ends of the streetside gaucho had to be removed and replaced. All of that seemed to have done the trick! And luckily the Excella is smell free! Yay!
LOL!
Good luck in your cleaning adventures!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Restoration resources

Hi,

Since you are a "newbie" you may not be aware of R J Dial's vintage Airstream web site Vintage Airstream Home which is also an excellent source of information. I refer to his "vintage Airstream photo archives" all the time for pictures of other people's vintage trailers. He also has an excellent set of FAQs and links to sources for all kinds of hard-to-find stuff you may need.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Dublin Irish Festival rally.

Best,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, ohio, safari