Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Madison Heights , Michigan
Brand new here. Hi everyone.

I am the proud owner of a new to me 1974 Land Yacht. It's gutted down to the frame. I've removed the inner skin and pulled out all the nasty old insulation. I have my little brother working on scraping the old weatherstripping off of the windows while I begin work on the frame. I've been reading the forums and am very grateful for all of the information. My next step is to figure out how I'm going to fix the couple rusted and wiggly outriggers on the frame as well as replacing the axles. Can I use bolts to replace members of the frame or do I have to weld?
cts125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Congratulations on your project, and welcome.

The frame is no place to get creative. Everything depends on a solid frame, and going back to redo frame work in the future isn't easy. You definitely want the frame welded.

If you don't have the expertise yourself, take it to a local welding shop. The cost will be minimal compared to the overall cost of the project, and the peace of mind of having a professional ensure your frame is solid will be worth it. You're about to pour thousands of hours and more money than you intended into this project, so best to build it on a solid foundation.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. I'm working on a 75 Overlander 27' trailer myself. It had some frame issues also.

My trailer isn't gutted. I did drop the belly pan from the axles back and did a thorough inspection. My trailer had a mild case of rear end separation due to rear subfloor rot which is common in these seventies trailers.

I hired a local "mobile welder" to come to my place and make the necessary repairs. It took 3 hours and $400. He repaired one outrigger, one broken crossmember, welded in a new rear crossmember, welded reinforcements to the street side frame rail, welded on new rear frame "skid rails" and welded in new holding tank supports for me. The frame is now stout and the rear end separation and sag are gone.

Be sure to inspect your frame carefully, especially for axle plate cracks and frame cracks or buckling behind the axle plates. Inspect for weakened steel due to rust. Don't fear welding. It is the best repair method. I wish I had developed my welding skills.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1801 Frame Welding Curb Stiffener 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	312637  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Welcome! Sounds like you have a great project going on. As stated, welding is definitely the way to go...you wouldn't want bolts to worry about going down the road, and with the flex and constant bumping there's little chance those bolts wouldn't come loose, or even shear.

Good lick with your project!

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Madison Heights , Michigan
Sounds like welding is my only option. Time to find a mobile welder. Thanks for the input everyone.
cts125 is offline   Reply With Quote