Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Billdidly

Hello fellow and fellowettes, First Time Virgin Airstreamer Here..Be Gentle

I am the owner of 66 Sovereign it's in pretty good shape but I would like to re-finish the interior woodwork, ( I don't want to create my very own FEMA trailer) can anyone recomend any products that would be a little more environmentally friendly. Me , I'm dying to just go get some Minwax products and go for it, but that would entail introducing a quart or two of stain/sealer/gloss VOC's and whatnot into a fairly closed space.
Does anyone out there (and I mean "out there" in the good sense) have any thoughts and sage advice....Billdidly
Billdidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
First of all, welcome!
I'm not sure about the "sage advice" part, just my experience.
I'm a big fan of the water based urathane finishes. The modern urathanes work great without the fumes.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First of all, welcome to the forums!

The only concern I would have with the water-based urethanes is not knowing what was originally (or applied by PO) on the wood. Make sure the new finish is compatible with what's already there by testing it first in an inconspicuous place. Water based finishes may not adhere if it's already got an oil based stain or penetrating sealer that was used previously unless it's completely stripped off first. Which would be a much more involved project...

Our '64 had a oiled finish...so when we freshened it up during restoration, we used several coats of Howard's Restore a Finish...it did wonders! We maintain it with Howard's Feed n' Wax (beeswax & orange oil)...it smells yummy!

Cabinets

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdidly
Hello fellow and fellowettes, First Time Virgin Airstreamer Here..Be Gentle

I am the owner of 66 Sovereign it's in pretty good shape but I would like to re-finish the interior woodwork, ( I don't want to create my very own FEMA trailer) can anyone recomend any products that would be a little more environmentally friendly. Me , I'm dying to just go get some Minwax products and go for it, but that would entail introducing a quart or two of stain/sealer/gloss VOC's and whatnot into a fairly closed space.
Does anyone out there (and I mean "out there" in the good sense) have any thoughts and sage advice....Billdidly
Welcome and first post karma to you. As far as refresh, I much prefer tung oil to any of the modern finishes and Waterlox brand is a blend that contains real tung oil, many of the so called tung oil finishes are just wiping polys. Waterlox was developed in 1916 to be used on floors, it is very durable, and easy to repair if the need arises. It is true heat processed tung oil along with other ingredients to make it easy to work with. Just clean the surface, and wipe on a thin coat. Build multiple coats for more shine. None of the Polys are easy to repair. Waterlox is what is on the hickory floor in my house and every piece of furniture that I build, including the harps. It does contain mineral spirits, so if you are hyper sensitive then use Tried and True oil varnish blend. It is real heat processed linseed oil and you could eat it out of the can if you are so inclined. Not as durable as tung oil but a good traditional finish and great for folks that are very sensitive to solvents.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote