Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Hollywood , California
Talking Bella's new dog house

O.K. hi ya'll. My wife and I, and our dog Bella, just purchased a 67 overlander out of the back yard next to where my Mom lives. We don't know the last time it was out on the road. It seems to be in all original condition just really dirty. We basically stole it for $500. I don't feel too bad as I didn't come up with the price, it was offered... The Daughter of the man who had passed away last year sold it to us. We moved it out of their backyard, which it had sat for a good while(10 years at least, maybe 20)into the driveway of my Mom's. My wife and I went at it for two days. She was mostly cleaning and ripping out carpet and I was working on brakes and electric. As my mother lives at 8000' and we live two hours away at sea level, it is my priority to make sure this sucker is safe. We ended up going to inlandrv and buying the brake backing plates with shoes and magnets as well as what I guess is the usual first time purchases of weather stripping and the like. Now we need tires.....inlandrv suggested Goodyear marathons/ load range c. Price around $110 + balancing. He also offered to balance the drum and wheel assembly, which sounds kinda cool. They also said that if load range c had been run on it that we shouldn't change to load range D, that it would split the rim??? Anybody heard of this happening? I found a set of 4 "SAMPSON" trailer tires, 7.00 x15 load range D, for $80 mounted and balanced. They are made in china, which I despise, but i gotta say they look tough and the price is right. Still don't think I can go with Chinese tires.. Has anybody had any experience with these tires? So anyhow enough of the B.S. we are so excited about owning an Airstream...I think I've wanted one my whole life. I can't stop thinking about all the great times ahead. $4.00 a gallon does suck, but I always hated paying for hotels....i think it will all even out. Especially since we're going to bring a motorcycle or two to get around on, as well as a couple of vintage schwinn's. Thanks for any help...Dean and Jessica. Oh yeah we're calling it the dog house because our Dog "Bella" tried out every bed in our Airstream and fell in love with it. It was very difficult to get her to come out of it.
67doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome from SLO county! Nice to have you here on the forums.
Didn't Andy (Inland RV) try to sell you new axles? I figured he would - and as long as the trailer sat, it almost surely needs it. I know...more money.
Photos would be cool, post some if you get a chance.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
congratulations dean and jessica. you got a great deal.

check out this link to the major renovations, there's a renovation of a 63 overlander and i'm working on my 56 flying cloud right near you in venice. you may get some good ideas for some of the things you need.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

you've found the best resource for older airstreams here (as well as newer). there's a rally coming up in kernville in october http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...8-a-41768.html

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations and welcome!!! Your vintage of trailer is sweet!! Ask lot's of questions, read lot's of posts here and most of all....have fun on the journey of bringing your Airstream back to life!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the FORUMS, Dean and Jessica. The bias ply tires are fine. The Goodyear Marathon radials area a fine choice too. Balance, as Andy indicated, is a first choice priority. Sounds like you got the trailer for a song, so spend your money on the items to make it safe to travel. (the Marathon radials are made in China too) Goodyear has been making tires overseas for years.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote