Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Basecamp interest

Hi all, I am interested in the basecamp. I have a three year old son and I feel that the basecamp would be a great way for us to start experincing life together. Any info would be helpfull.
thanks
mdgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The Basecamps are way overpriced for what you get. Some are saying that they depreciate roughly 50% in less than a year. Not a good value! I would recommend looking at a 16' Bambi. It is a fully self contained unit with a shower, toilet, refrigerator, 2 burner stove, hot water heater, A/C, furnace, 48" bed and a dinette/fold down bed.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The Basecamp is really cool and totally unique. They are pricey, but all Airstreams are pricey. Go to the search function on these Forums and read all the posts relating to the Basecamp. Good luck.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, mdgall...it's great you want to take your son into the camping experience...what a great father/son bonding activity... The Basecamp is cool, fer sure...but I'd explore the smaller Airstreams as well...the 16' or 19' Bambi might be just the ticket...and they'd be plenty big for you and your son... Have you gone to a dealer to try them out for size? Look them over well and check the ammenities and options...nothing like a face-to-face to see how they fit your needs and plans... You can also use the subforms here to get a feel of others' experiences with the various models...and feel free to ask specific questions if you have any...

Good luck with your quest and welcome to the world of aluminum! You're in good company!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
The Basecamp may be suffecient now but you have to think about when your son gets a little older and you need more room. Also down the road you might want more amentities. Usually that happens sooner than you think. I have learned that you should get more than you need now and maybe a bit more than you think you can afford. I purchased 3 motorhomes{new} in 5 years and let me tell you about taking loses!! I should've stepped up in the first place and got the right one. I lost more $ than I thought I could afford. If the Basecamp depreciates anywhere near the 50% range then you run the danger of getting creamed.
I agree with the others who say to look into the Bambi's etc. You'll get all that you need up front without running the risk of wanting out too soon and in the event you do want or need out the Bambi's will be alot more saleable{is that a word?}. Just look around these forums for people who are looking for nice Bambi's and you'll see that you'd have no trouble selling one if needed. Good luck in your search. Just take a little extra time and find the perfect Airstream. In the long run you'll be happier. Welcome to the forum
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome!

The BC is very cool, especialy if you want to haul "stuff" (kayaks, Mt bikes, etc) and do not have a substantial TV at this time.
If you have a suitable TV or plan to get one, then yes, you should at least explore the larger AS's. Nothing like a visit to your local dealer to get the juices flowing.

It is true about "moving up". Within 5 years, we had moved up to a 25' AS (which we have had for several years now), which we are very happy with and find to be perfect for our family...

Maybe the BC will be perdect for you?

Good luck, "search" and as away!

Bill
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

The other alternative to a basecamp

Another option is to buy a utility trailer for $5000, and use the savings
to trick it out to the way you want it.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
I would think about the discount on the Basecamp as a great way to get in at a reasonable price. Pay Retail? That's wack!
Let the "pay full pricers" take the hit and buy it cheap when they move up, look at the previous post... think about the possibility that a used Basecamp may appreciate if the rumours are true (discontinued).
Remember, its not used, its cheaper and already broken in.
By the way, I bot my BC about half price and it was only used twice.
Happy Basing!
Bizcamp
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 AM   #9

2008 Base Camp
paris , Paris
Hi all,

I'm french and i'm a fan your historic's trade. Airstream, it's really the dream for me. But for our little road, we can't buy your big trailer (only collector, big disappointment).
I'm interested in the basecamp (the size could be ok for my land, and i like the design). Do you know if it is possible to import the basecamp in france?!
I'm looking for information about this model and the pricing.

Thank for your answer, and sorry for my language...
Loan
Giroudon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
I talked to Vicki Lazier, Sales Distribution Manager at Airstream on 4/24.
I got an update of the production numbers of the Basecamps through March08. She said about 250 units to date and they are "still manufacturing the Basecamps and have them scheduled through August08." the "rumour" that production is going to end sometime in the future is still unconfirmed..stay tuned after August. I will update again in Sept.
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
The BC are done after June. Not a rumor...FACT.We are the #1 BC in the country and have sold the units all around the world. Yes you can buy one for France. You need to find an importer (Foch Leasing +1-416-617-6076). A lot of thing need to be changed on the unit(brakes,lights,receiver...absolutly no warranty) Their are only 34 BC on Dealer lots and 22 in the pipeline. After that they will be no more. Its really to bad because they are a very cool unit.
Bullet4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Call to Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet4sale
The BC are done after June. Not a rumor...FACT.We are the #1 BC in the country and have sold the units all around the world. Yes you can buy one for France. You need to find an importer (Foch Leasing +1-416-617-6076). A lot of thing need to be changed on the unit(brakes,lights,receiver...absolutly no warranty) Their are only 34 BC on Dealer lots and 22 in the pipeline. After that they will be no more. Its really to bad because they are a very cool unit.
Wow. Not unexpected though. OK, back to the original poster. Your profile says Philadelphia - the good news is that Colonial Airstream of New Jersey is a bit over an hour away from you - and they have LOTS of Airstreams on the lot including Basecamps. GO there! Check them ALL out. Plan to spend several hours - sit down, pretend you're trying to brush your teeth, use the throne and close the bathroom door at the same time, etc. Brochures and floorplans are useless compared to actually visiting the lot. (BTW negotiate a minimum of 15% off everything.)

I'm betting along with some of the others that in a Bambi will win your attention over the Basecamp... but I could be wrong.

I have a friend whose home was damaged by a tornado. She'll be camping in my "Sparestream" next to my Airstream for about 2 weeks until the damage is repaired. A Basecamp as guest quarters won't work.... a Bambi would. Imagine your mother-in-law coming to visit. Would it be nice to have "guest quarters" for her (or you if you choose to vacate your bedroom) that don't include seeing her teeth in a glass of water first thing in the morning... much less hearing the hacking cough that takes 45 minutes for her to clear while you're eating breakfast?

Glad you've joined our humble assembly.

Paula
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Yes, you really should take a run over to Colonial and say hello to Patrick and Lauren, fantastic folks to deal with. I agree with most of the posts so far and as cool as the base camp is not much bang for the buck. Opps, did I say that? You gotta touch one in person to get a real feel for it. There are plenty on the market used right now so that should tell you something. No, they are great quality but very easy to out grow in a very short time. Check out the Sport Series while at Colonial.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

You either understand the BC or you don't. The BC is for the people that have a motorcycle, kayak, multiple bicycles and quite frankly don't wont to spend time in a camp ground. Most of the people we have sold wanted to get back to "real camping". They don't have $40-$50k for a Bambi and don't wont one. If you want a shower and a toilet then the BC doesn't work. If you want to take your 4 wheeler,fly rod and do some real camping than this is a no brainer.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet4sale
You either understand the BC or you don't. The BC is for the people that have a motorcycle, kayak, multiple bicycles and quite frankly don't wont to spend time in a camp ground. Most of the people we have sold wanted to get back to "real camping". They don't have $40-$50k for a Bambi and don't wont one. If you want a shower and a toilet then the BC doesn't work. If you want to take your 4 wheeler,fly rod and do some real camping than this is a no brainer.
It's amazing how many Folks don't get this...
It's not about the cost, but how you plan to use it. If you want an AS,and you want a "toy hauler", this is your only option (at this time). Many Basecampers are hauling motor cycles...that is the point! Can't do that with a Bambi!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Ok, so the public is not privy to the dealer scuttlebutt. Thanks for the heads up. Still not "Official" till AS puts it in a public statement. Have they done that yet? If so, I would think that this makes them "very collectible." Where does the BC rank at say....300 units compared to all other ASs (oops, can I say that?) models?
It is too bad, they are right tight little dudes!
Instant Classic Potential if there ever was.
Each AS model is built to serve its purpose and market.
Thats why AS doesn't have just one model.
PS it is about the cost, but cost vs benefit!
Biz
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Personally I think AS is really missing the boat on this one. Most people that have purchased the BC love them. Our sales really didn't get going until this year and then AS decided to kill it. Saying it has no profit in the unit.
I think they need to keep production up on the units just to get new blood in the door. Then maybe they will upgrade down the road when life changes kids,wife,jobs....
hey what do I know.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Basecamp Limited Edition?

Did I see that recently? This might be Code for end of Days, read production. From all counts, looks like my bet for end of production is August 08. Everything is lining up for smallest production numbers of any model since the beginning of AS? I like the Edsel analogy, you know what mint Edsels are going for today, $$$? You may not like the looks, but the bottom line cooks. Like to look at the Airstream Corporations books for total cost of design, development and production. BCs might be the most expensive per square foot value I've ever seen. Perfect opportunity to buy Rolling Real Estate for pennies on the dollar!
Biz
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
While I've never been a fan of the Basecamp, I think it serves a niche in the market. And with gas prices skyrocketing, having an RV that is small and easy to tow with a small vehicle certainly will have appeal. I'd like to see AS produce some 11-13' Bambis and maybe a Teardrop!

Check these out:

http://retrotraveler.com/main.html

Airstream could capture a segment of this market.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
Rye, East Sussex , UK
Giroudon - Airstream Europe now sell the Basecamp in EU spec.

Check out European Basecamp < Gallery < Product Family | Airstream Europe : Airstream Basecamp

Your nearest dealers are in the UK or in the Netherlands. UK price is about £25,000. With the strength of the Euro I would imagine you would be better off buying in the UK right now.

Bonne chance!

They all laugh because we're different.

We all laugh because they are all the same.
ajdesq is offline   Reply With Quote