Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Back after a 30 yr absence......

Hi Guys....

I just ran across the forum a few days ago and immediately joined up. What a wealth of information!!

After a 30 year absence from Airstreaming, and the WBCCI, I am glad to be "back in the loop" so to speak. I was lucky enough to be a member of the WBCCI as a very young boy, and traveled extensively with my Grandparents way back in 1969 thru 1976. My grandparents were Chuck and Alma Anderson #22425, from Detroit, MI. We participated in several Michigan Unit, and International Rallies in those years, (1968 to 1976) and i have fond memories, and recollections of every one of them. Gramps had to sell his beloved 1969 23' Safari in 1976, due to failing health, and for years and years, i combed the papers and RV lots, and various Airstream websites, hoping somehow that one day i would run across Gramps old Airstream. With no records left, with a VIN....the search seemed futile. I honestly believe that someone out there has this trailer...... I'll bet if it still exists, I'll find it through thhis group....

Fast forward to last May.... I found an identical clone trailer to Gramps in West Palm Beach, FL, and secured a deal with the seller. This is an exact duplicate as my Grandparents trailer...an early production 69, built in the first weeks of November 68. It even originally came from Michigan, and was sold through the Airstream Dealer in Flint, and was sold to a couple from West Branch, Michigan. I remember distinctly going to Kolbe Trailer Sales in Warren, MI, with my Grandfather, the day before Thanksgiving 1968, and taking delivery of the new Airstream. His records indicate he paid $5,936.00 out the door for this trailer, and I remember that first look inside, with all the plastic still on the couches, and carpeting...and I'll never forget that "new smell"..... !!!!!! I was 7 years old !!!

Imagine the feeling of "deja vu" that overcame me when I picked my Airstream. Just like an old friend, finally returned after a 30 yr absence. On my trip home in June, with my new baby, I just HAD to make the requisite stop at Airstream "Mecca".... Jackson Center, OH. While there, I picked up a few odds and ends, and couldn't leave town without going to WBCCI headquarters on the outskirts of town, and (re) joining the club after all these years. Gramps original number was reissued in the 1980s, but the very next number in succession was available, so I grabbed it. (#22426) It seemed very appropriate. I think Gramps would approve.

So, now I am the proud owner of a 1969 23' Safari Twin, and I have done some small fixing on a couple things this summer, and hopefully I will be up and running in time to do some Airstreaming this summer. I even found my old original WBCCI "badge" from waaaay back in the day, and it even still has the ribbon attached to it from the 1974 International Rally in Notre Dame, IN. It still says "TEEN" on it...... (ain't THAT a hoot !!!!!) haha!!

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself, and I know I will be in good company with all the information available here.
If there's any other 69 23' Safari owners out there, drop me a line, we'll compare notes. Who knows...you might have Gramps old trailer, #22425 !!!

Thanks again

Scott Anderson #22426
(formerly #22425 1969-1976)
Grosse Ile, Michigan
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Wow,what a great story.Welcome to the forums and welcome back.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!!

Scott-

Welcome, and thanks for sharing a great story... Unless it made some sad fate, I suspect you may find your Gramps' trailer here...

Best of luck getting going again, and re-connecting with both WBCCI events and the new-fangled Forum Rallies, where informality and fun seem to be real priorities...

As you get more familiar with exotic "Search" capabilities (using search tab above) you will find there are very few technical or refurb questions that haven't been addressed here by experts...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Scott, what a wonderful story! Welcome - we're very glad to have you here. Hope you have many more wonderful journeys to come!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quite a story. Good luck on finding "Gramp's" AS.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yeah! a great tale, and a terrific ending to it....or should we say new beginning? Welcome to our Forums.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
We are the "Borg" ----

You will be assimilated into the AS Forum "cult!"

Welcome back and keep sharing your stories, pictures, and experiences.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Howdy

Welcome home, and here's to new memories.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Great story commander31. I hope you track down your grandfather's trailer. Welcome back!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Thanks for all the kind words guys.... And yes, i do look forward to making some new memories of my own here now....

I have also met quite a few nice folks in the Vintage Airstream Club contingent of the WBCCI.....I attended the Region 4 Rally this past summer in Adrian MI, and met a few really nice folks....just like "deja vu all over again"...

I was also at the Airstream Homecoming down in "Mecca" ---Jackson Center back in 04. What a great time there. Boy, do I remember going down to the factory waaaay back in the day with my Grandpa, he would have some warranty work done there....a couple times we stayed in the trailer overnite, right there inside the shop. There used to be a restaurant in front called the "Feed Bag", and i remember eating 3 meals a day there a couple times!!!

Truth be known, i was even at the International Rally in Lansing MI back in '04 also. (just lurking and wishing) Strangely enough, it was 30 yrs before, to the very day that i was attending my last International Rally..... That was in South Bend IN, at the Notre Dame campus. I looked up the dates of the 74 International, and it coincided with the Lansing 04 Rally..... Strange, eh???

I have a virtual treasure trove of memorabilia from my Grandparents from those years... Tons of pictures, slides, diaries, Airstream brochures, and even my original badge. I always kept everything put away in a safe place, knowing that one day i would have an Airstream too, and I could bring it all out, and show it, and pick up, right where I left off.

On a sad note tho, it is definitely somber to realize that probably 99.9% of the good friends and acquaintances I knew for those several years in the WBCCI are all gone now, and are in that great Airstream Park in the sky.....
I have vivid recollections of all our Michigan Unit Presidents, and so many friends from back in the day.... matter of fact, i finally (just last year)located one of my buddies I used to pal around with in those years. We had not spoken since 77 or 78. Strangely enuff, his father is in his late eighties, and still has the old 31 Sovereign somewhere down in Florida.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblage...once I get started.... (hee hee)

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Great Post - Thank You and welcome to the Forums.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Great story! How about coming on down for the big Texas State Vintage Rally to be held January 31st through Febrary 4th in Montgomery, Texas.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .sorry for the ramblage...once I get started.... (hee hee)

No apologies needed on this forum! Your memories and stories are the ones we are making today, taking our Airstreams on the road, meeting with friends and family, finding rallies to attend, collecting our memorabilia. Hopefully, when we are no longer on the road, younger 'streamers will recall and want to carry on the adventure for their generations. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Cool story. Our 73, 23' Safari is #22143
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the FORUMS

Many new people to meet and many more trips and memories to make; just a bit of the excitement to come your way. Hope to meet you, down the road!
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Great Story

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for a great story. I was so happy to read it. It reminded me of how important making memories for our kids really is. We started in 1995, when our son was 12. He grew up in WBCCI, traveled coast to coast met so many kids, always went to International and loved the Family & Youth program Linda Amme put together. (We always volunteered to be chaperones, so we met and made great friends from around the country too.)

He now is in the middle of restoring a '68 Tradewind. We are working with him and really hope to finish for this summer. With schedules, life gets in the way, but I think we can do it. He loves Airstream and has fantastic memories from childhood. He hopes to get some travel in very soon. But, at 24 there's lots of work time and not much vacation time.

I am so happy to hear your story and wish you happy travels.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Great Story Scott, We just had our first grandson (Jack), and we hope his memories of airstreaming with his grandma and grandpa will be as happy as yours!
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Scott,
Anytime you feel like "rambling" and giving us a piece of your Airstream history, just come here to the forums and have at it. Nice to have you here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote