Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2023, 08:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hedgesville , West Virginia
As newbie as newbie can get!

Hi everyone, Bill here, and I'm as newbie as newbie can get! Retired in 2021 and just now getting interested in getting an Airstream camping trailer. I just got a 2003 Volvo XC70 AWD wagon, had a trailer hitch put on it, so this will be my towing vehicle. We're in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. Great to be here, good feeling knowing I can reach out to such a large community and get advice - I need a lot! Thanks a bunch!

Bill Palmer
Hedgesville, WV
wdpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome, Bill. There is a lot of information here on the Forums and let us know what Airstream you decide on. Have fun and enjoy the journey.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Hi Bill,

According to a simple internet search the towing capacity of your Volvo is only 3300 pounds.

2003 Volvo XC70
Luxury car
4.3/5
Edmunds
4.5/5
Kelley Blue Book
4.6/5
Cars.com
Tire size: P215/65R16
Engine: 2.5 L 5-cylinder
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
MPG: 18 city / 25 highway
Towing capacity: 3,300 lbs
Curb weight: 3,827 lbs
Horsepower: 208 hp

Unfortunately, even the very lightest Airstream will be at the limit your tow vehicle's capacity. It may be doable in some cases, but it will not be a pleasant experience.

Please be aware, while shopping for a trailer to tow with your Volvo, the trailer manufactures listed "dry" weight is often well under the actual usable weight of the unit. Sometimes as much as 1000 pounds under and at least several hundred in most cases, typically, batteries, propane, water and cargo etc. are not included.

Congratulations on retirement and happy shopping for a travel trailer that will fit your interests.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your retirement! Nice when everyday is a Saturday. You'll be so busy now, you won't know how you ever had time to work.

Have fun with your search for a trailer. It took us about 6 months to find the right one for us.

There's lots of knowledge and experience here on the forum. Ask questions, search and share.

Great adventures await!
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome and good luck.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Warm welcome from Florida.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:12 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Hello Bill. We were all newbies at one time. In fact it seems like I'm always learning something new relative to the AS and traveling with it. That's a good thing.

And congrats on your retirement.

You probably meant to say your got a 2023 Volvo not a 2003. But of course I could be wrong.

Enjoy the search for an AS and let us know what you decide upon.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:17 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
[QUOTE=NO NOIZE;2658990]Hi Bill,

According to a simple internet search the towing capacity of your Volvo is only 3300 pounds.

Hi No Noize, thanks for the info. Yes, that is definitely a concern. That weight limit is for a trailer with brakes. We need a trailer with at least a bathroom, a shower, a bed, air conditioning and heat. It’s just my wife and I, and we’ll be taking our dog as well. A Bambi 16-foot looks pretty comfortable, but if we use a truck instead of the Volvo as the towing vehicle, we can use a larger trailer.

Thank you again for looking up that Volvo info.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:21 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your retirement! Nice when everyday is a Saturday. You'll be so busy now, you won't know how you ever had time to work.

Have fun with your search for a trailer. It took us about 6 months to find the right one for us.

There's lots of knowledge and experience here on the forum. Ask questions, search and share.

Great adventures await!
Hi Stremn, thank you, yes, lots to learn. Really like AS trailers because of their one-piece construction of the body. Will continue searching and learning.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:22 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Welcome and good luck.
Hi Saluda thank you very much!
Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...

Lessons we learned when buying new...don't.

Spend a LOT of time here...study others experiences.

Go to the dealers look and examine everything they have, go to an AS rally look at everything there.

Check here in the classifieds

Then buy a gently used late model, let the first buyer take the depreciation hit along with the new buyer warranty repair blues.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post
Warm welcome from Florida.
Hi Rich, thank you, lots to learn here. What is your experience with AS? Do you have a trailer or RV?
Old 02-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Welcome Bill,

I hate to be a downer but having owned a late 90's Volvo 850 and early 2000's XC70 a word of warning. i put a hitch on the 850 to towed a U-Haul across the country in 2007 against the advise of my local shop in New Jersey. My son and i made it across the country to the bay area OK and a week later the transmission disintegrated in traffic. Not even the parking pawl worked (I had to keep the brakes applied until the state police pushed me out of traffic). That was a $4000 mistake. When we brought the rest of the family across the country in the XC-70 later in the year we had some overheating issues on long grades in the west without towing anything. I loved both cars (especially the inline 5L and handling) but the maintenance costs weren't worth it in the end. As you may read in other forum entries, many people have success finding the Airstream of their dreams and then matching a tow vehicle to that. That's what we did. 27FB with a 2002 7.3 Excursion. Best of luck in whatever path you decide to take.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
Welcome & Some Resources

Hi Bill,
I remember it like it was yesterday. It's a learning curve, but one we found to be very enjoyable (most of the time). For some resources you might enjoy - check out my blog at www.rambleon.rocks

See you down the road.
Tom
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
give Andy at CNAM RV a call. we will guide you with what the real capacity of your TV is. he can even suggest the proper hitch and mounting to make this a more capable TV.
https://www.canamrv.ca/
that's what we did with our q5 and now it easily tows a 2023 FC 25FB
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
give Andy at CNAM RV a call. we will guide you with what the real capacity of your TV is. he can even suggest the proper hitch and mounting to make this a more capable TV.
https://www.canamrv.ca/
that's what we did with our q5 and now it easily tows a 2023 FC 25FB
What changes were made to your Audi Q5?
Audi Q5 towing capacity Max 4400lbs
2023 AS 25FB minimum base wt: 5600lbs
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Lessons we learned when buying new...don't.

Spend a LOT of time here...study others experiences.

Go to the dealers look and examine everything they have, go to an AS rally look at everything there.

Check here in the classifieds

Then buy a gently used late model, let the first buyer take the depreciation hit along with the new buyer warranty repair blues.

Bob
����
What Bob said...x100! Oh, and yes, consider the "horse" before getting the "cart"!

Many folks do it backwards, and end up selling the AS pretty quickly after making that purchase because the AS was/is the wrong size, the tow vehicle is not right, or they found that this life is not really as fun as they had imagined. The advice here is typically valuable...but it's just opinion, right?

My son purchased a new Basecamp 20X couple years ago, bought a MBZ GLE450 to tow it, and planned on camping all over Texas and North West with his wife, their 2 small kids, and a dog....used it 6 months on trips; Montana, Wyoming, Big Bend, Texas Coast. She said it was too small and wanted to go up to a 25'. He decided it was too much of a hassle for their lifestyle and just sold it..fortionatly, they were able to get money invested, but illustrates my point...you won't know till you live the experience. Consider the advice and spend some time looking at the big picture...good luck and welcome!

Note the suggestions above...do you really want to "go to Canada and modify your tow vehicle"? Hey, it's just money, right....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote