Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #1

1975 20' Argosy 20
Stamford , New York
Talking Argosy Question...

Hey everyone! My wife and I just purchased a 75 Argosy trailer a week ago. We've changed out the linoleum, recovered the countertop, repainted the stove, tiled around the stove, etc. The trailer is in good shape, but we destroyed the curtains trying to wash them. Any idea where we can get another set? I've always wanted an airstream - I'm sure it'll be great when we're done. We're going with a Santa Fe theme. Any suggestions or helpful info on airstreaming would be appreciated.
ArgosyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
Ambruso in Tampa, Florida, will make drapes for your coach, just be sitting down when you get a price quote.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums ArgosyFrank! The website for Ambruso's is http://www.jpadrapes.com/

If Ambruso operates anything like 2 years ago they'll mail you fabric samples and measuring instructions. They made drapes for our Argosy and the quality is head and shoulders above those in our 2006! It will probably take them a few months lead time. What you get in return is very well packaged complete with new slides, snaps etc.

I suspect there are a variety of issues that you will face -- gaskets, roof vents. Be sure and use the search function when you have a specific topic of concern -- most have been covered to some degree. There is an Argosy sub-forum here, but in actuality most of the systems in Argosy are exactly the same as Airstreams (and many SOBs for that matter...) -- so cruise all Airstream topics. Water heaters and furnaces and Dometic fridges are exactly the same size now as then, though plumbing may attach at a different point. Avoid using any silicone caulk like the plague! Got your rivet gun yet?

Be careful if that has the original furnace -- there was a carbon monoxide recall back in the 70s that was due to a duct that would fall apart. Me? A new furnace is pretty cheap for peace of mind! (search on: carbon monoxide recall)

Pictures are good! Best wishes and come back often. This is truly the University of Airstreams!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Snellville , Georgia
You can order new drapes from www.jpadrapes.com. They will send you samples if you like. I have a 1975 Argosy also. We are still working on ours.
caseyd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Question...

Greetings ArgosyFrank!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyFrank
Hey everyone! My wife and I just purchased a 75 Argosy trailer a week ago. We've changed out the linoleum, recovered the countertop, repainted the stove, tiled around the stove, etc. The trailer is in good shape, but we destroyed the curtains trying to wash them. Any idea where we can get another set? I've always wanted an airstream - I'm sure it'll be great when we're done. We're going with a Santa Fe theme. Any suggestions or helpful info on airstreaming would be appreciated.
Another option for new draperies for you Argosy is Fowler Interiors of Symsonia Kentucky. They specialize in Airstream and Argosy interior refurbishement. The quality of their work is excellent, and their prices have been quite competitive on the work that they have done for me on both of my coaches. You can find Fowler Interiors on the Web at:

http://www.fowlerrvinteriors.com/

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Excellent point Kevin! Frank, I take notice of any post Kevin makes. He has been at this longer than most anybody else here!

Frank, be sure to install a smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector (both installed high inside trailer) and an LP detector (installed near the floor). Look at Camping World for RV detectors; they are more rugged as required by the RV application.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
We ordered ours from JC Penney. All except 2 sets fit perfectly, and the wife hemmed the two that didn't. Check their catalog! You may be suprised! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #8

1975 20' Argosy 20
Stamford , New York
Argosy Question

Bob,I started by caulking the floor with silicone caulk. Why do you advise against it? I'd rather stop now if it causes problems.All - Thanks for all the positive comments and suggestions.Frank
ArgosyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Frank -- Avoid silicone caulk anywhere near aluminum. It is impossible to have a pure aluminum surface in an oxygen atmosphere and silicone caulk will always fail (leak) against an oxidized aluminum surface. It can be difficult as h*** to remove from such surfaces but just never works in the short run. Aluminum oxide is a different name for the garnet (red) sandpaper and other abrasives we use.

A Puzzler on Car Guys spoke about a supposedly wise college student leaving a late party to find frost on his windshield. Correctly recalling that aluminum is softer than glass, this student of science used the butt end of a beverage can to scrape frost from the windshield. Imagine the surprise when they awoke 15 hours later to a horribly scratched windshield. The point is that the oxidized aluminum surface is inevitable and silicone caulk just cannot succeed in that setting. You may succeed if you have used it in non-weather locations. Would I remove it if you used it against aluminum? Maybe if I was having to do another task in the area -- otherwise I'd keep a wary eye on the area, wetness of plywood floors, etc.

Vulkem in various incarnations is commonly mentioned, but is lumpy and the surface remains tacky/wet for a long time in my experience. My favorite and that of many is Sikaflex 221 as noted in this thread. It develops a dry skin overnight and is easy to use IMHO.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Should be no problem using latex caulking along the wall edge of the floor.. We did this in our 75 Argosy after we put in the laminate flooring.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote