Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Airstream Dreamin'

Currently Looking...
Sheffield Village , Ohio
Another newbie from Ohio

My name is Jackie. I'm a teacher and I grew up camping in tents and rented cabins from 6 weeks old. My husband has never camped a day in his life but would love to. My grandparents owned a pop up camper that we took to surrounding campsites and to the hills in PA. I have always been in love with the airstreams and it has always been a dream of mine to own one. For the past 2 years, my husband and I have been saving our pennies with hopes of finally purchasing a used globetrotter or Bambi next year and finally touring the country (with the dogs) during my summer and winter vacations. Hope to get a ton of useful information from this forum and a lot of suggestions on where we can take our airstream to make the most of our vacations. Thanks for the welcome.
JackieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
welcome jackie, you are among friends! it is a great idea to use the forums to learn more before you purchase your dream trailer. this is the place to find out anything you want to know. you can browse through the pictures and read the posts and learn about each model. good luck and welcome, friend!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
I'll second that. My wife and I were tenters way back, but ya know after my last tent trip, and 110 in Arizona at midnight...well lets just say the concept of a stove cooked meal and air conditioning sure seemed to make more sense. We owned one squre box...but the highway ate it. Now we are pounding awayon our old 33 foot landyaught. HAve the fun is the ride there

Welcome aboard!
Rob and Terry
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
welcome Ohioan

Larry and I are really glad to see so many Ohioans on here and saying howdy. You will find this site a really friendly place, with a wealth of good information.
We have a 1978 (vintage) Argosy 6.5 metre Minuet, which is one of the painted Airstreams.
I am a retired school teacher. Small world..we are in LaGrange which is not far from where you are. We hope to meet you sometime. If you going to be this direction PM us and let's get together. Some of us Ohioans got together last summer and had a really good time at a couple of very informal rallies. We would love to do that again. Everyone is welcome with or without trailers. You can stop in and visit and perhaps join us for a potluck.

Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Welcome Jackie!

We purchased our new unit last summer! We absolutely love it. Best investment we've made in a long time! I LOVE CAMPING TOO! Actually we use the trailer most always, but I have three tents and share teh love of camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness during spring/summer as well. Different camping experiences to be sure, but camping nonetheless!

Best of luck in the search. One of the really super things about these units is simply this... Once you find your dream rig... It'll last as long as you might want! You may upgrade, but it will be because you wanted something different, not because it fell apart! We've had that experience too!

Enjoy the entire process! We love our 19 foot Safari... Doesn't have to be big or expensive to be really cool. We're constantly being "visited" byother campers in our campgrounds. They all love to take a peek at our little (but very cool) rig!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Welcome to the Forums Jackie and Rob,
You are in the right place for sure to find out about Airstreams. We bought our 1983 31' Sovereign last April. It was in good shape and we have put some money into it with new tires, brakes, AC, awnings, rock guards, carpet etc. and even had it stripped, polished and clearcoated.
With all that said, it was cheaper than buying a new model and we are really enjoying "Carmen O".
I am also in education, have been my whole career. I still believe the three best reasons for being a teacher are June, July and August (even more vacations in higher ed.)
Which ever way you decide to go, you can find plenty of input/information here on the forums. PM me if you need any aditional information from us, we will be more than glad to help.
Go Bucks!
Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Welcome from another Ohioan,Good luck on your search this is a great place for anything AS.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Howdy Jackie....bad day Airstreamin' beats a great day tenting, using a pop-up or owning and SOB (some other box or some other brand).

Best of luck on your search!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Searchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieY
...Thanks for the welcome.
Hi from another Buckeye!

Good luck with your search,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Look in the Chronicle Telegram. There is currently a 1992 25 foot rear twin $12,500. Has been in almost a week now. I know nothing else about it besides the add in the paper. Greetings from Oberlin , Ohio. Get together last year was fun, made the one at Clare-mar and a mini rally In Larry's driveway.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
That's the Elyria Chronicle...here.

What's your tow vehicle? Are you looking for something smaller or cheaper?

Good hunting

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome

From a grateful recovering Ohioan. I've lived in Virginia since the 70's but grew up in the Akron area. By all means, take a Friday off work and make the Haj (to Moslems, the sacred pilgrimage to Mecca) to Jackson Center, Ohio and take the factory tour. On Friday if the week's production is done, they let off early so you can go into trailers that are under construction and short of a BIG Airstream dealer that is where you'll get to see a full range of sizes, and models in one place. There is also a huge Airstream dealership only about 20 miles south of the factory.

Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " 1121 Rt. 88 Lakewood, NJ 08701 Airstreams #1 Volume Dealership has a huge inventory to look at online, but there's a big difference between seeing them online and walking around in them.

If you're set on a used Airstream, one of the best places is HERE! Look under the classifieds. You'll save quite a bit by getting one that is a couple of years old... because some of us love one so much... we upgrade

My two cents.... really think about how you're going to use your trailer before you commit. Never settle for the wrong size bed, because if you don't sleep well the cranky factor colors the whole camping experience. If the bed is right, but the mattress is crap you can get a new mattress, but if you want twin beds and are stuck in a double or vice versa, you'll eventually dislike the trailer. If you're 6'6" you'll NEED a queen - so only look at something that fits. I prefer a dual axle over a single (no disrespect to the triple axle 34's) because of the stability and safety if you have a flat.

Happy trails and see you down the road!

Paula Ford