Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
Another Newbie

Hi,

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and took the plunge and registered. My wife and I are starting to look for an Airstream and are impressed with the depth of information on this board.

We are in our early forties and have two young boys (pre-school age). We live in Southern California and have just started to take the boys car camping. It would be wonderful to have an Airstream and go more often for longer periods in comfort (and style!).

My dream is to buy a trailer that's big enough for the four of us to enjoy for years. There are so many models and so much information to digest but for us the learning process is part of the fun.

At any rate, I thought it would be nice to introduce myself here.

With best wishes,

Wags
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Wags, welcome! You've come to the right place to research your Airstream purchase. Are you thinking about new or used models?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Panama City , Florida
Welcome to the forums! We are new here too. We are buying an Argosy 24ft. I can't wait to get my hands on it. You will find lots of helpful people here and there's always an answer to your questions. Good luck and Happy Trails to you!!
ckelly617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

To do well camping with four people for the long term, I would suggest to start looking in the 25+/- foot size range. Smaller than that can reallly get cramped when those boys are gangly teenagers.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome

Welcome to the forums. Whether you decide on a newer unit or vintage, this is the place for information. We have learned so much from the threads and different forums.

Welcome and good luck in your search.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a 23' 1969 Safari w/2adults 1kid and it works great for most trips, one bed, one slide out gaucho. I plan to add a homemade pipe&cloth bunk when the kid starts bringing a friend, do a search you'll find plans etc. I wouldn't rule out 23-25' vintage units (or even GT's) because a lot of times when the kids hit teen years they wanna sleep out in a tent, from what I hear, which can only make mom and dad REALLY happy ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Hi Wags,

Welcome to the Forums and to the aluminitus ailment ! We have a '67 22ft Safari and it works great for our family of four (two kids ages 6 and 8.) We have learned so much from these Forums, and met some super folks. There are a couple of groups of Forums members in CA that organize great rallies - Stop in at one of them and check out their rigs!

Good luck in your search. Hope to see you on the road, or at a rally soon!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
Thanks for all of the warm wishes.

My inclination, as a first timer, would be to buy something new (or newer) that is under warranty. For us, the peace of mind knowing that we are not "alone" if something goes wrong is worth it.

I agree about the 25 foot length for us. We've been thinking about the 23 footer too, but I've read a lot of comments about the size and the layout of the bed and bathroom size in the 23 foot trailers (which, honestly, is not a deal breaker for us) but we haven't had a chance to see them in person yet. We would love to buy a 25 Safari (or International) if we can stretch our budget that far. Since we just started doing our research, we really are not up to speed yet on the additional costs for extra few feet. Is there a big difference in handling/towing between a 23 and 25?

Thanks again,

Wags
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Welcome, Wags. You'll find a lot of helpful and friendly information here. With all the talk about families and the size of the trailer, I wonder if it isn't a good idea to rent something for a quick weekend, to maybe help you tailor your purchase to your needs?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
I wonder if it isn't a good idea to rent something for a quick weekend, to maybe help you tailor your purchase to your needs?
I was thinking the same thing! Here's an outfit you might consider, and I think they are in the same general area as you. Looks like their trailer is a 2007 25'.

https://www.socalairstream.com/Home_Page.html

Happy Silver Trails!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Hey Wags,

Welcome aboard - or soon to be. We too (like many others) did a migration - from backpacking, to car camping and now trailering. We've been (with our two children and dog) from Georgia to New England, Texas, California, Ohio - you name it. And it has been wonderful!

I will share a secret. when our daughter got to be a teenager we went for the mother ship - a 34' with slide-out. We wanted (and she wanted) space. We've since moved to a 27', since our daughter does not travel with us anymore (in college).

Trust me - if you've been setting up a tent out of the back of a car, no matter what size AS you buy you'll think you are in doggy heaven. and you will be! enjoy.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
From one newbie to another....Welcome!!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I agree that renting is a great idea. I'm going to check out that referral and see if we can set something up for a Spring trip to the Sierra.

I can already see this forum is really going to help us get to know a lot about Airstreams (and meet a lot of interesting people, too).

Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

Happy trails,

Wags
Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I agree that the 25 is a great size. OTOH, some of the smaller trailers such as the 23' have a nicer bathroon arrangement than my Safari. The Safari has a well documented inconvenient toilet arrangement which is too close to the door for a full size adult.

Wikipedia says that a wag is one who is fond of making jokes. Humor is welcomed by most of us, the others don't count!
Welcome to the forums!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Hi Wags-

What kind of tow vehicle do you have? That will dictate what trailer you can pull. So you know- I believe that the new airstreams only have 1 year warranties- so that shouldn't make or break your decision. Vintage is fun- but modern in awful comfy. Whatever you choose you will love it. If your thinking vintage- check out this site. It will put everything in perspective.
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Happy trails!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
Hey 3streams,

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I didn't realize the warranty period is only a year (seems kinda short but I guess there's no motor or transmission to wear out like a car).

We currently have two vehicles that are capable of towing. A van and a Grand Cherokee (the Cherokee has the big V8 and the tow package). Honestly, my wife and I want to zero in on the model of Airstream and then figure it out if we need to upgrade our tow vehicle (which it seems likely that we will). We're really starting out at ground zero. The Cherokee is getting up there in age so it's due to be replaced anyway (great excuse to get something bigger and better).

I checked one of the rental sites that was recommended in this thread. It's pretty cool--they actually deliver the airstream for you to your destination, you camp in it for a few days, close the door on the way out and they do the rest. I'm going to call them to try and set something up as it seems a really low hassle way to experience an Airstream first hand (we've never slept in one ourselves).

Best,

Wags
Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wags...Welcome to the forums! You're going to love an AS, no matter what size you decide is right for you...and that all depends on how you plan to use it, how much space you think you want/need, etc, etc...and trust me, everyone has different needs. One size does NOT fit all! Go look at them in person and sit/walk/lie down in them...the right one will find you!

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide...see you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags
Hey 3streams,

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I didn't realize the warranty period is only a year (seems kinda short but I guess there's no motor or transmission to wear out like a car).

We currently have two vehicles that are capable of towing. A van and a Grand Cherokee (the Cherokee has the big V8 and the tow package). Honestly, my wife and I want to zero in on the model of Airstream and then figure it out if we need to upgrade our tow vehicle (which it seems likely that we will). We're really starting out at ground zero. The Cherokee is getting up there in age so it's due to be replaced anyway (great excuse to get something bigger and better).

I checked one of the rental sites that was recommended in this thread. It's pretty cool--they actually deliver the airstream for you to your destination, you camp in it for a few days, close the door on the way out and they do the rest. I'm going to call them to try and set something up as it seems a really low hassle way to experience an Airstream first hand (we've never slept in one ourselves).

Best,

Wags
Whats funny is that in the vintage airstreams- if you open up the pantry door - there is a warranty page that guarantees a lifetime of fixes- just stop by the factory! Our '07 Tahoe had to have the transmission replaced already- and we think it was the weight of the "05 Intl CCD. Even though it is within the tow capacity and feels okay when we are towing- we don't want to have to put another transmission in it. Who wants to be stuck on the road with no gears and a 25' trailer attached to your SUV with 4 dogs in the back? We love the charm of the vintage- not to mention the better gas millage and road time! So we are selling the '05 in favor of all vintage. Whatever you decide- you will love it and be so glad you can call yourself an "Airstreamer."
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
3streams,

Are the vintage trailers "projects" that need a lot of work? I love the look of the some of the older models but I don't have the time to restore one (with two little boys at home--we call them the soccer hooligans--time is at a premium). Or, can you buy one that is already road worthy that you can just pack up and take on the road?

Wags
Old 03-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Wags-

First off- every vintage trailer is a project (keep that in mind). You can buy already restored trailers- but be cautious! Not every restoration shop is equal and some places will polish the skin and freshen up the interior and call it restored. Almost all vintage trailers have leaked at some time or another and may have floor or frame rot/rust. That should be checked along with axle's and general overall maintenance of the trailer. My wife and I have found that we like the appearance of the older trailers. But our '05 CCD is very comfortable but your tradeoff is weight and gas. We kind of jumped in head first without a lot of research or idea what really was available besides the dealers lot. I would suggest attending a rally in your area and ask other Airstreamers to see their trailers and what they like/dislike and this should give you a good idea what you may want. They may also be able to tell you a good garage for repairs or restoration work. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
3streams